Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Gophers look like deer in headlights out there. Even though it's still close, I can tell they aren't going to win this one.

Rutgers did a good job making the game ugly and using their size. Bell was pretty terrible on both ends tonight. Time to focus on winning the big ten tourney.

B1G season ending the way it started-discombobulated by pressure.

The more we lose, the more difficult recruiting gets and that is the absolute life blood of a successful basketball program!!

I hate it when Gamer is right about away games.

They out-benched us 5 to 1 bench players.

We out-turnovered them 5 to 2 in 4th quarter. A bona fide recipe for teams to beat us. Bottom line: we gotta cut the turnovers in half. I’m not sure how you practice “not turning over.”

They outrebounded us 36 to 28. Partly due to Taiye in foul trouble.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 02-28-2019 at 06:42 PM.

We just don't have the depth of talent to handle athletic, aggressive teams that can play 8-10 players deep. As in shape as our starting 5 must be, it seems the wear down physically and mentally just enough to become prone to more fouls and turnovers in the second halves of games. I look forward to Lindsay recruiting complete teams where talent runs deep into the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    I hate it when Gamer is right about away games.

They out-benched us 5 to 1 bench players.

We out-turnovered them 5 to 2 in 4th quarter. A bona fide recipe for teams to beat us. Bottom line: we gotta cut the turnovers in half. I’m not sure how you practice “not turning over.”

They outrebounded us 36 to 28. Partly due to Taiye in something e foul trouble.
    I dont think it was due to Taiyes foul trouble, Rutgers was just more physical and pounded us in the paint. When we went man they posted up and scored at will and when we went zone we couldnt rebound outta it.

Beyond the obvious TO's we also will struggle to win when Bell does not score close to her average. Hope they come back to beat MSU @ home.

Ultimately, I don't think this loss matters much, other than maybe forcing them to play one more game in the BTT. A win probably wouldn't have changed the fact that they need to win the BTT to get to the NCAA tournament, which is a definite possibility. I think they could do very well if they do find a way into the NCAA tournament...

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherlife View Post
    Ultimately, I don't think this loss matters much, other than maybe forcing them to play one more game in the BTT.
    Yeah, they lost the opportunity for the double bye after the Maryland loss.

A win probably wouldn't have changed the fact that they need to win the BTT to get to the NCAA tournament
    It's been that way for a while.

which is a definite possibility.

I think they could do very well if they do find a way into the NCAA tournament...
    You must be seeing a different team than me. They had a week of rest and preparation for this game, and they looked worse than ever.
    Last edited by Shades; 02-28-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Considering the Gophers' often lazy passing and careless ball handling, it appears their minds are some place else during long stretches of games. As soon as they establish a seemingly comfortable lead, they let down and allow the opponent back in the game. Is this lack of talent? Or poor game preparation? As an aside, did Stallings leave the program w/o recruiting any incoming talent at all for 2018-19?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Yeah, they lost the opportunity for the double bye after the Maryland loss.

It's been that way for a while.

You must be seeing a different team than me. They had week a rest and preparation for this game, and they looked worse than ever.
    I think they would be better than whatever seed they would be given if they did qualify. Aside from the best teams that have a great center/forward, I think they could be a tough matchup for the rest of the teams.

Well, it's time to set our sights on the BIG tourney. That's our only hope for an NCAA berth (and that was probably true heading into the Rutgers game). As much as I've complained about the non-conference schedule, that may well be a moot point now. It's always been my feeling that a team that can't finish .500 in conference play should not be eligible for NCAA tourney regardless of how good the conference is. (The exception, of course, is winning the conference tourney.) It's time to stop complaining about the tourney ranking systems (RPI, SOS, NET) and time to use the EYE test. If you've watched this team play this year, you'll surely have to admit that they are not NCAA worthy. Gophers are one starter and a couple of bench players short this year. I don't want to pick on Perez, as she's been thrown into a starting role and she is not the reason the Gophers lost the last two games, but she's not giving them much offensively and she's now started enough games to where she shouldn't be as tentative as she still is. Six-person rotations are seldom successful, but there's not much to choose from on the bench. I'm hoping that next year's recruits and a healthy Hubbard will give Whalen more options in her second season.

Anybody notice that as of late, Pitts is developing Banham-like range on her 3?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1101266312381300736

She started out the year a little bit off on her shooting but then gradually got her shooting form locked-in again. Not only is she hitting from 5 feet behind the arc, but many of those are going right down the center of the net, hardly an inch off-of center. Add to that Perez shooting over 50% too, on average, and I think we've come close to being a three-point shooting team once again. Perhaps not quite enough shooters to make up for the lack of Hubbard and graduated Wagner (and since Brunson's and Bell's 3-point percentages are a little less than what you want). But last few games, we've been getting more points off threes than the norm for this year (and Pitts averaging about 23+ points).

She has been on a tear lately ! Loved the smile on her face yesterday after she dropped her 6th 3 in a row. So great to see her confidence growing strong the second half of this season. She has doubled her scoring average.