What has to happen for Pitino to keep his job?

What has to happen for you to want Pitino to keep his job?

• Nothing--I want him coaching the 2019-2020 Gophers

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • NIT--Gets our freshman postseason experience and Pitino dominates the NIT!

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Make the NCAA tournament--Bounced in the first round but look at us, we made it

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Round of 32--Pitino's first NCAA tourney win! Cant wait to see what he does next year

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • Sweet 16--Oh how Sweet it is to be loved by The U

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Elite 8--PJ Fleck's dream round is enough for Pitino to stick around

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Final 4--We've already played at US Bank Stadium. What a massive advantage!

• National Championship game--We might lose to Tre Jones but we made it. Lifetime extension?

• WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!! Coffey wins it with a right handed lay-up off of Washington's 18th assist.

• It doesn't matter what he does. He needs to be gone.

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Giving you a bunch of options ranging from national champs to him being the coach regardless. Curious to see what the general sentiment is on him, aside from a lot of people wanting him replaced.

Giving you a bunch of options ranging from national champs to him being the coach regardless. Curious to see what the general sentiment is on him, aside from a lot of people wanting him replaced.

I still dont think he loses his job

I agree with JJMD, unless they find a Whalen/Fleck/Motzko caliber hire.

What happens if they somehow win the Big Ten tournament but lose their first game in the Big Dance? Would that four-game run be enough to keep him around?

Well done on the descriptions of each. I especially liked this description: "Elite 8--PJ Fleck's dream round is enough for Pitino to stick around"

Go Gophers!!

Well done on the descriptions of each. I especially liked this description: "Elite 8--PJ Fleck's dream round is enough for Pitino to stick around"

Go Gophers!!

Thanks! Tried to keep it interesting.

I think making the tournament should buy him another year, but if we are one and done, his seat should stay hot.

He would absolutely keep his job if we win the Big Ten tournament.

I agree. Only 10 options allowed for polls and that one seems about as likely as winning the national championship but was less fun to type about.

At this point I think he needs to make the NCAA tournament to be 100% safe. Less than that I feel like there is a chance that they make a move if they feel they can land a quality replacement.

I would say he has to make the dance and win a game.

Too many terrible losses to terrible teams and his big ten record has been so so bad.

Think if they make the tourney he stays. Misses but goes on an NIT run he stays. Loses out he’s gone for sure. Anywhere in between Coyle digs up his options and makes a call and only cans him if he thinks he’s got a home run (like he’s probably felt with all our previous hires). I feel like next year becomes his do or die moment with all his transfers eligible, Coffey a senior, huge recruits in the area. I’d he fails next year, he will be relegated to a long career at mid majors or as an assistant

What has to happen? Probably a B1G tourney title, and even then I don’t think he should. Not familiar with the financials but I wonder if his contract keeps him around longer than necessary...

I know what I said now, but it is based on my own bias.
If the results change my opinion might too

I think they should move on regardless, but if we make the NCAAs and win a game, he's back for sure, IMO.

What has to happen? Probably a B1G tourney title, and even then I don’t think he should. Not familiar with the financials but I wonder if his contract keeps him around longer than necessary...

I don't think the contract is a major issue. Frankly, if they keep him, they probably have to give him some sort of extension or he won't be able to recruit. (I'm not sure it will help though).

If we get a B1G title of any kind, build him a freakin statue.

For me it has to be a NCAA Tourney appearance for him to keep his job. Having enough trouble filling the Barn for conference games imagine what it would look like for a NIT home game. If they get a NIT bid might be better for everyone involved if the play on the road.

Even with that being said regardless of what happens to finish this season I have the feeling Coyle brings Pitino back next season..

If we get a B1G title of any kind, build him a freakin statue.

Yep,

I'd rather hang a banner for that than a sweet 16 or elite 8. I'd probably rather have a regular season big ten title over final four too.

For me it has to be a NCAA Tourney appearance for him to keep his job. Having enough trouble filling the Barn for conference games imagine what it would look like for a NIT home game. If they get a NIT bid might be better for everyone involved if the play on the road.

Even with that being said regardless of what happens to finish this season I have the feeling Coyle brings Pitino back next season..

I agree with this.

He'll be back if they make the tourney. If it's a one and done appearance then I think he has to at least make it to the tourney again next year at a minimum.

I believe his buyout is around $2.7 million if fired at the end of the season. While that isn't a bucket of spit, it's only $300,000 more than Todd Lickliter's buyout at Iowa nine years ago. I believe Pitino's buyout is about $250,000 more than Tubby's six years ago.

He'll be back if they make the tourney. If it's a one and done appearance then I think he has to at least make it to the tourney again next year at a minimum.

I think he is back-NCAA or not because of recent recruiting. But he will probably have to again start paying for his own gas in UW rental cars.

Short of a miracle, there is nothing he can do to keep his job.

But what do I know.

Go Gophers!!
A creative poll for sure, but P.J. Fleck has not exactly climbed to the top of any of his mountains yet. Now I think I get it if Fleck was mentioned for chuckles.

He makes the dance he's a lock to stay.

Fails to make dance and wins NIT he stays.

Fails to win a game in NIT (road) and there's still a 60% chance he's back.

Coyle announces he's 100% behind Pitino after the Gophers lose out the rest of the regular season. - He gone!

I think Coyle has him in the crosshairs, the hammer is cocked, finger on trigger with a more than fair amount of pressure on the trigger.

He gone.

A creative poll for sure, but P.J. Fleck has not exactly climbed to the top of any of his mountains yet. Now I think I get it if Fleck was mentioned for chuckles.

You must not listen to Fleck talk much. He says Elite like 200 times per day

Top Bottom