What has to happen for Pitino to keep his job?

What has to happen for you to want Pitino to keep his job?

• Nothing--I want him coaching the 2019-2020 Gophers

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • NIT--Gets our freshman postseason experience and Pitino dominates the NIT!

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Make the NCAA tournament--Bounced in the first round but look at us, we made it

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Round of 32--Pitino's first NCAA tourney win! Cant wait to see what he does next year

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • Sweet 16--Oh how Sweet it is to be loved by The U

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Elite 8--PJ Fleck's dream round is enough for Pitino to stick around

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Final 4--We've already played at US Bank Stadium. What a massive advantage!

• National Championship game--We might lose to Tre Jones but we made it. Lifetime extension?

• WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!! Coffey wins it with a right handed lay-up off of Washington's 18th assist.

• It doesn't matter what he does. He needs to be gone.

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
Honestly, the expectations of this fan base should be sweet sixteen every few years. Surely one out of every 3-4 years. We are one of about 65 power 5 teams in the land. It shouldn't be unreasonable to be in the top 16 of that every once in awhile.

I don’t disagree, but we are a year or two away from that level. We were very thin this year and haven’t produced at the level we had hoped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also probably should have lost to Washington? That is stunning to me. So last second shots don’t mean anything. It would kinda change the terrain in sports if we didn’t count them. Why are you even claiming to be a fan of Gopher basketball?

I think he is referring to the missed traveling call. He was making the valid point that if we go down the road of "our record would be better if not for a bad call thay screwed us", then we need to do the same thing for bad calls that help us.

My guess? We Finish 9-11 and make the tournament and go on a run (unfortunately this means we win 1 game) And he keeps his job.

Honestly, the expectations of this fan base should be sweet sixteen every few years. Surely one out of every 3-4 years. We are one of about 65 power 5 teams in the land. It shouldn't be unreasonable to be in the top 16 of that every once in awhile.

In what world are you living in that this would be the expectation? If you look at the Gophers tournament history, they've been to the Big Dance 4 times in the last 10 years. If you count the 1997 Final 4 run, they've been to the Sweet 16 twice since 1990. That's twice in 29 years. Lets get to the tournament first and worry about the run later.

The bottom line is this: If the Gophers beat Northwestern and Purdue, they're dancing regardless of what happens in the BTT. Joe Lunardi was the only Bracketologist who didn't have them in yesterday, and the others didn't even have them as one of the "last 4 in." The bubble is weaker than normal this year and they have quality wins over Iowa, Wisconsin and Washington. They need to win 2 of the last 3 to be stress free heading to the conference tournament. Will they make a run if they get there? Who knows, it's all about match-ups in the NCAAs. But there's nothing better than getting your name called on Selection Sunday, and I have a feeling most of us on here will be excited if that happens. What matters is despite what's happened the last 2 weeks, the Gophers largely still control their own destiny.

In what world are you living in that this would be the expectation? If you look at the Gophers tournament history, they've been to the Big Dance 4 times in the last 10 years. If you count the 1997 Final 4 run, they've been to the Sweet 16 twice since 1990. That's twice in 29 years. Lets get to the tournament first and worry about the run later.

The bottom line is this: If the Gophers beat Northwestern and Purdue, they're dancing regardless of what happens in the BTT. Joe Lunardi was the only Bracketologist who didn't have them in yesterday, and the others didn't even have them as one of the "last 4 in." The bubble is weaker than normal this year and they have quality wins over Iowa, Wisconsin and Washington. They need to win 2 of the last 3 to be stress free heading to the conference tournament. Will they make a run if they get there? Who knows, it's all about match-ups in the NCAAs. But there's nothing better than getting your name called on Selection Sunday, and I have a feeling most of us on here will be excited if that happens. What matters is despite what's happened the last 2 weeks, the Gophers largely still control their own destiny.

They actually have complete control of their destiny. They lose the last 3 and win the conference tourney.

Im so sick of being on the bubble. Can we just throw together some years where we are worried about what seed

I don’t disagree, but we are a year or two away from that level. We were very thin this year and haven’t produced at the level we had hoped.

No, we haven't produced at the expected level. The drumbeat on this site over the summer was IW needing to step up for this team to thrive. He hasn't, which has also negatively affected Amir's game. This summer it was thought Stull would be a major contributor, possibly a starter. McBrayer has had a down year (still wonder if he's healthy and of course, his mom). Also, the conference much stronger than expected. As a result, here we sit at 7 - 10 instead of a possible double bye which I think many of us, including myself, thought a possibility.

LOL @ the folks in the poll who would fire him after winning a miracle natty!

Im so sick of being on the bubble. Can we just throw together some years where we are worried about what seed

Yeah, if the best positive for the year is that the bubble might be soft enough for us to sneak in, we are not in a great spot.

Why would ‘we have probably lost in OT?’ I missed that parallel universe that apparently unfolded itself for you.

Just the odds. 10.5 point underdog goes to OT in a road game against a top 5 team, they have less than a 50/50 shot of winning in OT. Not sure why pointing out a statistical likelihood is upsetting.

We also probably should have lost to Washington? That is stunning to me. So last second shots don’t mean anything. It would kinda change the terrain in sports if we didn’t count them. Why are you even claiming to be a fan of Gopher basketball?

Gabe borderline traveled before the shot. I woudln't expect the refs to call that in that spot and they didn't. But I wouldn't have expected them to call the foul at Nebraska either. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not. The Gophers are usually on the wrong end of those and that time they weren't.

I think he is referring to the missed traveling call. He was making the valid point that if we go down the road of "our record would be better if not for a bad call thay screwed us", then we need to do the same thing for bad calls that help us.

+1.

LOL @ the folks in the poll who would fire him after winning a miracle natty!

I respect their right to voice an opinion, but I don't respect their opinion. I wish there was an easy way to auto-block everyone who voted that way. What has Pitino done that would cause them to want him fired after winning a national championship? I assume it has to do with the handling of the Reggie Lynch situation rather than anything that happened on the court. Maybe not - I'm reminded of how negative people were in a poll about the current status of the football program after the recent season. Too many on this board live to be negative or are just trolling. We cut down the nets at the Final Four, but it's still not good enough!? I don't get it.

Gabe borderline traveled before the shot. I woudln't expect the refs to call that in that spot and they didn't. But I wouldn't have expected them to call the foul at Nebraska either. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not. The Gophers are usually on the wrong end of those and that time they weren't.

It wasn't a borderline travel. It was a big time travel. We definitely got lucky. If Nebraska could cost Pitino his job, then that Washington win could save it.

I respect their right to voice an opinion, but I don't respect their opinion. I wish there was an easy way to auto-block everyone who voted that way. What has Pitino done that would cause them to want him fired after winning a national championship? I assume it has to do with the handling of the Reggie Lynch situation rather than anything that happened on the court. Maybe not - I'm reminded of how negative people were in a poll about the current status of the football program after the recent season. Too many on this board live to be negative or are just trolling. We cut down the nets at the Final Four, but it's still not good enough!? I don't get it.

Holy Cow! Do you take everything in your life this literally? Don't you understand these things are like foreign films - they have subtitles?

Lots of people are sick of him and want him gone. To say they would want him fired even if he won a national championship is hyperbole. Of course, those people (and any rational others) believe he has about as much chance of winning a national championship as Martians have of landing in Calhoun Square so they don't even take the question seriously.

Just the odds. 10.5 point underdog goes to OT in a road game against a top 5 team, they have less than a 50/50 shot of winning in OT. Not sure why pointing out a statistical likelihood is upsetting.

Thanks for the clarity. I agree with your stat probability but I sensed just before the last shot that the Gophers stole a loss into OT and would have had momentum. Could have changed the odds of a game that rolls into OT under different circumstances. Obviously no one knows what would have happened in OT.

All the signs point to this team heading to Dayton. Would that be enough to save Pitino, even with a First Four loss?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Holy Cow! Do you take everything in your life this literally? Don't you understand these things are like foreign films - they have subtitles?

Lots of people are sick of him and want him gone. To say they would want him fired even if he won a national championship is hyperbole. Of course, those people (and any rational others) believe he has about as much chance of winning a national championship as Martians have of landing in Calhoun Square so they don't even take the question seriously.

A lot of people are sick of all the negativity and want it gone. If the team would have shot like a they should have then we would be at about 20 wins or so by now.

A lot of people are sick of all the negativity and want it gone. If the team would have shot like a they should have then we would be at about 20 wins or so by now.

More IF, could, should, would, might have.

Gopher talent is as good as Purdue or Badgers. Why aren't they winning?

Gopher talent is as good as Purdue or Badgers. Why aren't they winning?

Because having as much talent as Wisconsin or Purdue is a figment of your imagination.

We have substantially worse guard play than both of those teams.

If the gophers had Carson Edwards they’d be big ten champs.
If the gophers had trice they’d have 2-4 more wins (because he can shoot and dribble)
If the gophers had Davidson they’d have 1-2 more wins (because he can dribble)

This has to stop. Ok. The no point guard thing hurts. But he plays a pro style offense. Youngsters
Love that crap. His recruiting has been hit and cold, but honestly if you aren’t excited about the future, then go cheer for Bucky.
Carr. Kalschuer. Coffey. Curry. Oturo. Let’s go. That’s a lineup that can compete with the Michigan’s if the conference. Fire pitino? Who’s to say any of them come back next year. Fire pitino and who’s to say anyone wants to touch your delusions of grandeur fan base with a ten foot pole. Good grief you are all maddening. Rome wasn’t built overnight. You want a program? You don’t get there jumping ship every 3-4 years.
Heathcoat. Izzo.
Keady. Painter.

Hey let’s be Indiana or Illinois! Let’s chase big names and trash what’s left of our brand for the next 20 years.

Every coach in the country would have a better record if you take one of their biggest weaknesses and assume an alternate reality where it is no longer a weakness.

For the negativity to go away, we need real results.

1) This has to stop. Ok.

2) Carr. Kalschuer. Coffey. Curry. Oturo. Let’s go. That’s a lineup that can compete with the Michigan’s if the conference.

3) Fire pitino? Who’s to say any of them come back next year.

4) You don’t get there jumping ship every 3-4 years.

5) Hey let’s be Indiana or Illinois! Let’s chase big names and trash what’s left of our brand for the next 20 years.

1) No it doesn't. Who appointed you boss man?

2) Says you.

3) And who says any of them will leave? Just you again.

4) I think you have amnesia. It's been 6 years.

5) How do you know their brand is trashed for 20 years? Of course, you don't.

I know you don't post much, but we've heard all these arguments before. They were unconvincing then and they're unconvincing now.

Last edited:

This has to stop. Ok. The no point guard thing hurts. But he plays a pro style offense. Youngsters
Love that crap. His recruiting has been hit and cold, but honestly if you aren’t excited about the future, then go cheer for Bucky.
Carr. Kalschuer. Coffey. Curry. Oturo. Let’s go. That’s a lineup that can compete with the Michigan’s if the conference. Fire pitino? Who’s to say any of them come back next year. Fire pitino and who’s to say anyone wants to touch your delusions of grandeur fan base with a ten foot pole. Good grief you are all maddening. Rome wasn’t built overnight. You want a program? You don’t get there jumping ship every 3-4 years.
Heathcoat. Izzo.
Keady. Painter.

Hey let’s be Indiana or Illinois! Let’s chase big names and trash what’s left of our brand for the next 20 years.

LOL.

Nothing. Everyday he is the head coach will keep setting this program back by one day. He isn't the worst coach this program has ever had but he isn't leading us anywhere. The Gophers basketball team needs a complete reboot.

Nothing. Everyday he is the head coach will keep setting this program back by one day. He isn't the worst coach this program has ever had but he isn't leading us anywhere. The Gophers basketball team needs a complete reboot.

I mean I really doubt him being the head coach today sets us back a day. Its a Friday, sun is shining, he is probably drinking coffee. Practice later. Kids will have fun. Get some sweat out. Relax. Program didn’t go back a day, but the hyperbole is fun.

It would be of great help to the program if we can sell out the Purdue game and perform at a high level with the UCLA decommit in attendance. Getting another recruit on-board would do good things for the program.

"Time to find some morally liberal co-ed or two to show the young man around." - Rick Pitino

Seriously, need to have a great environment to show the young man! Go Gophers!

I'm hoping for a great Senior Night for Murph and McBricks!

It would be of great help to the program if we can sell out the Purdue game and perform at a high level with the UCLA decommit in attendance. Getting another recruit on-board would do good things for the program.

"Time to find some morally liberal co-ed or two to show the young man around." - Rick Pitino

Seriously, need to have a great environment to show the young man! Go Gophers!

I'm hoping for a great Senior Night for Murph and McBricks!

Could be a very emotional senior night with Murphy graduating. He is an all-timer. I hope Jarvis Johnson gets the recognition he deserves. And I'll be sad to see Dupree and Matz go as well. Less sad about Stull, just not a fan.

Short of winning the btt or a deep tourney run, I’d be surprised if there’s anything he can do. 6 years in and only 6 players on his roster that are good enough to play against a bottom b10 team. His bad roster management has done him in.

Top Bottom