What has to happen for Pitino to keep his job?

What has to happen for you to want Pitino to keep his job?

• Nothing--I want him coaching the 2019-2020 Gophers

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • NIT--Gets our freshman postseason experience and Pitino dominates the NIT!

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Make the NCAA tournament--Bounced in the first round but look at us, we made it

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Round of 32--Pitino's first NCAA tourney win! Cant wait to see what he does next year

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • Sweet 16--Oh how Sweet it is to be loved by The U

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Elite 8--PJ Fleck's dream round is enough for Pitino to stick around

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Final 4--We've already played at US Bank Stadium. What a massive advantage!

• National Championship game--We might lose to Tre Jones but we made it. Lifetime extension?

• WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!! Coffey wins it with a right handed lay-up off of Washington's 18th assist.

• It doesn't matter what he does. He needs to be gone.

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
You must not listen to Fleck talk much. He says Elite like 200 times per day

Good humor and nice job with the poll. Unfortunately I live outside of the State of Minnesota ( Wisconsin-but first and always a Minnesota first fan) so I don’t hear Fleck much.

He's back regardless. I think this next recruiting class is gonna be good...Just a hunch.

I think public perception is very negative toward him right now, more than I even remember for Tubby. He has his work cut out for him.

He makes the dance he's a lock to stay.

Fails to make dance and wins NIT he stays.

Fails to win a game in NIT (road) and there's still a 60% chance he's back.

Coyle announces he's 100% behind Pitino after the Gophers lose out the rest of the regular season. - He gone!

Not sure what winning the NIT or going on a run there does any good for anyone. The Not Interested Tournament. I'd say if he barely misses the dance and gets an NIT bid and declines it he has a better chance.

I'd at least have much more respect if this University would just start turning down bids to that tourney. In fact, celebrating making runs in the NIT, etc is part of the reason the whole athletic program has had a problem
building winners. Who cares about the NIT or Detroitlet Toliet bowl.

Guaranteed that he get’s another year or more. As long as his players keep playing hard and fight to the end of the season he is the coach next year. You guys are in an echo chamber and are feeding off ridiculous rumors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tino will be back. He's a good guy and Coyle has no expectations. Coyle will just keep jacking up season ticket prices and walk on.

Who says the NIT will even select them? In recent years the NIT has passed on major conference teams that faded down the stretch. I believe they passed over the Gophers a few years back. Not much appeal for a team that could very easily finish the season 1-10 or 2-9.

Kind of surprised that less than 25% of people want him him back unless we make the tournament. I thought it would be just a little less than 50%...

Who says the NIT will even select them? In recent years the NIT has passed on major conference teams that faded down the stretch. I believe they passed over the Gophers a few years back. Not much appeal for a team that could very easily finish the season 1-10 or 2-9.

They did; passed up the Gophers with an 18-15 record in Pitino's second season. Maryland didn't make it last year with a 19-13 record. Depends a lot on how many automatic qualifiers (teams from one-bid conferences who won the regular season but lost the conference tournament) get in. Usually there's at least 10 but the number can go up to 15. The more of them there are the less room there is for also ran power conference teams. If 15 get in, that leaves only 17 at large spots.

He's back regardless. I think this next recruiting class is gonna be good...Just a hunch.

I honestly don't know how anyone would ever predict that. I think we have a better chance with the 2020 class if we replace him. I think it will be difficult for a top recruit to commit to him not knowing what the future will hold, and if he stays around next year, another year of missing the NCAA Tournament will be difficult to swallow.

At this point I think he needs to make the NCAA tournament to be 100% safe. Less than that I feel like there is a chance that they make a move if they feel they can land a quality replacement.

The question wasn't what level of performance would or should make him "safe." The question was "what do YOU want?" I want him gone, period, so that's the way I voted. If he is retained, for whatever reason, I will have to accept that but I won't like it.

I honestly don't know how anyone would ever predict that. I think we have a better chance with the 2020 class if we replace him. I think it will be difficult for a top recruit to commit to him not knowing what the future will hold, and if he stays around next year, another year of missing the NCAA Tournament will be difficult to swallow.
. .....I said hunch I didnt predict it.

So you think a new coach can come in here and build a relationship with the 2020 recruits in under 1 year...and would have a better chance at signing them than Pitino?

I honestly dont know how anyone could predict that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My hope is that he is back next year and things click with the newly eligible players and returnees.
If things had not gone haywire with the active roster last year this would not be a discussion point since we would be having a down year after two NCAA tourney appearances, but thats sport.

Btw. Pitino has had the best single Feburary in the last 20+ years. 2017

No one can predict recruiting. I tip my hat to anyone that picks Pitino if they have better coaches offering. The benefit is those are the kids who really want to be here.

My hope is that he is back next year and things click with the newly eligible players and returnees.
If things had not gone haywire with the active roster last year this would not be a discussion point since we would be having a down year after two NCAA tourney appearances, but thats sport.
This.

I truly think he can succeed here....the question is .. do fans want to wait.

. .....I said hunch I didnt predict it.

So you think a new coach can come in here and build a relationship with the 2020 recruits in under 1 year...and would have a better chance at signing them than Pitino?

I honestly dont know how anyone could predict that.

It seems we have missed more of the best recruits in the state than have come here. That's all I'm saying.

It seems we have missed more of the best recruits in the state than have come here. That's all I'm saying.
We have. No doubt. But NONE of the one and dones were ever coming here....that is most of them.

No matter who the coach is or was.

Jeez it was toxic when Tubby was the coach. Everyone wanted him gone, except for me at the time I'm pretty sure. I honestly thought it was a lot worse then.

I wasn't sorry when Tubby was fired but only purely subjective reasoning could lead to a conclusion that the Tubby era was worse than the Pitino one.

Tubby was here for 6 years, had five years of 20 or more wins, had five postseasons with three NCAA tournaments, and no losing seasons in that time. Pitino has been here the same amount of time, has 20 or more wins only twice so far, has one NCAA tournament appearance (and isn't likely to get one this year), has had three seasons with no postseason at all (and may possibly get another this year), and has had two losing seasons with one of them featuring only 8 wins.

Last edited:

We have. No doubt. But NONE of the one and dones were ever coming here....that is most of them.

Rickert, Humphries and Przybilla all played at most 2 seasons.

This.

I like your optimism. I suppose it's possible that he can succeed, but it seems like it's always something. If he's still around, I will definitely support him. But I think it's time to move on.

Who cares where they come from. It will not be built with 5 stars. It will be built by a great coach.

38-69 has got to be among the worst 6 year stretch in history.
Yup. I just dont see how replacing Pitino will help unless we get a top 10 coach, that is highly unlikely.

I've said it before... to change for the sake of change is stupid

38-69 has got to be among the worst 6 year stretch in history.

Don't you love that? Offering one month's stretch during one year of a 6 year tenure as evidence of this coach's success. You can't make this stuff up.

This.

How much more time do we give him? It’s been six years!!!

I wasn't sorry when Tubby was fired but only purely subjective reasoning could lead to a conclusion that the Tubby era was worse than the Pitino one.

Tubby was here for 6 years, had five years of 20 or more wins, had five postseasons with three NCAA tournaments, and no losing seasons in that time. Pitino has been here the same amount of time, has 20 or more wins only twice so far, has one NCAA tournament appearance (and isn't likely to get one this year), has had three seasons with no postseason at all (and may possibly get another this year), and has had two losing seasons with one of them featuring only 8 wins.

I said the atmosphere was toxic before he was fired. People hated him on here way more than people hate Pitino now. I wasn't saying Tubby's tenure wasn't more successful. If it hadn't been for injuries and the Royce situation, Tubby would have made the tournament 5 straight years.

Rickert, Humphries and Przybilla all played at most 2 seasons.
Humphries is the only one that played 1 season. Joe played 3 I think. Rick played 2.

I get your point but that was way before social media was involved.

Top Bottom