Murphy & Coffey: Making Peace with Low Basketball IQ

bfast

Reaction score
Kalscheur and Oturu are not quite a Murphy / Coffey level duo YET, but it's extremely obvious to see that these guys will be a much better pair down the line. Why? They're smarter and more savvy.

You can have AAAAAALLLLLLL of the talent and physical gifts in the world, but a low basketball IQ can sabotage achievement quite a bit. This is exactly what we are seeing with Andrew Wiggins in the NBA.

Murphy @ Rutgers:

"I have a wide open three pointer here that could tie the game in the dying seconds, but GEE... I like my odds of hitting THREE straight free throws better. Yes, ME, a mediocre free throw shooter to begin with."

Murphy and Coffey vs. Michigan:

"I don't want to take an easy layup and 2 points. I need to POSTERIZE this guy with a much more difficult dunk." (end result was two missed "poster" dunks, 1 turnover and 0 points).

It even gets as nuanced as Murphy never having the presence of mind to re-calibrate his arms after he has jumped and made contact with a defender right before a shot attempt in the lane. This flaw costs Murphy at least 3-4 baskets per game.

Wisconsin has illustrated to us that setting a clear team identity and recruiting high-IQ (and maybe not as "talented") players to fit that identity produces stellar results.

Our fault for getting duped into high hopes for Murphy / Coffey, I guess. They're both overseas players at best.

Richard or new coach: set a clear team identity and recruit players that fit it. Stop scrapping for the best-of-the-rest 3-star "talents."

Last edited:

Kalscheur and Oturu are not quite a Murphy / Coffey level duo YET, but it's extremely obvious to see that these guys will be a much better pair down the line. Why? They're smarter and more savvy.

You can have AAAAAALLLLLLL of the talent and physical gifts in the world, but a low basketball IQ can sabotage achievement quite a bit. This is exactly what we are seeing with Andrew Wiggins in the NBA.

Murphy @ Rutgers:

"I have a wide open three pointer here that could tie the game in the dying seconds, but GEE... I like my odds of hitting THREE straight free throws better. Yes, ME, a mediocre free throw shooter to begin with."

"I don't want to take an easy layup and 2 points. I need to POSTERIZE this guy with a much more difficult dunk." (end result was two missed "poster" dunks, 1 turnover and 0 points).

It even gets as nuanced as Murphy never having the presence of mind to re-calibrate his arms after he has jumped and made contact with a defender right before a shot attempt in the lane. This flaw costs Murphy at least 3-4 baskets per game.

Wisconsin has illustrated to us that setting a clear team identity and recruiting high-IQ (and maybe not as "talented") players to fit that identity produces stellar results.

Our fault for getting duped into high hopes for Murphy / Coffey, I guess. They're both overseas players at best.

Richard or new coach: set a clear team identity and recruit players that fit it. Stop scrapping for the best-of-the-rest 3-star "talents."
Good post. I've said it time and time again, while Murph's energy and motor will be missed his lack of basketball IQ and court awareness at times is/has been extremely frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You want Murphy to recalibrate his arms? LOL. I’m sure he’d love to. A lot of his shots he is off balance to avoid getting blocked or he is taking contact. If he did this simple thing you suggest he’d average 6-8 MORE points per game? Incredible.

Murphy is 1st all time in rebounds and will finish top 3/4 in points. To say we were duped by a 3 Star spring signing is comical. He has far exceeded all expectations. If you told me this guy would lead the nation in double doubles as a junior and set school records, I’d have taken it.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Murphy-36729/high-school-60533/

Imagine if he recalibrated his arms!!! Good god, he’d be Shaq

Last edited:

I'm pretty happy with Murphy and Coffey.

Murphy in particular has exceeded expectations and been pleasure to watch.

Murphy @ Rutgers:

They're both overseas players at best.

Murphy is one of my favorite Gophers ever but that final sequence against Rutgers last night will be on the front cover of his NBA draft evaluations. If you ever wanted a more clear example of a player who is in his own head on outside shooting, you won't find one even from Ben Simmons.

It was the perfect wide open look and he did...that.

This is something i can actually speak to from experience. Having pre-scouted for 3 programs over the years we made it high priority to define athleticism on our terms. We over emphasized intangibles so as to get to real value. We never cared about how tall you were but cared how long you were. We did not care how fast you are but cared about how quick you are. Basketball is played in small spaces and with quickness being so vital we cared about reaction time in recognition and anticipation. Those are intangible. How how you jump does matter but not if you are not a fast leaper and not if your not a quick 2nd and third jumper. We looked for goos shooters over good dunkers, we looked for preprioception, we looked for playing with your head up. We looked for equal handles, unselfishness, grades, family issues, possee's etc.. As it relates to the two in question they check many boxes but i feel they have not been drilled properly to shore up certain weaknesses but worse , not coached well to only play to strength. The 2 frosh were extremely well coached before they got to the U and are by nature very heady, especially Gabe. With Gabe the only coaching issue is to get lower and wider to have greater leverage against straight line drives. High hoops IQ is a skill to itself and i know dozens of coaches who would never recruit a kid without it, especially guards. Bigs are different as they are always adapting to the newness of being big as they grow and in general, take longer. That is what is crazy scary about Daniel as he is just coming on so fast in the last 24 months.

This is something i can actually speak to from experience. Having pre-scouted for 3 programs over the years we made it high priority to define athleticism on our terms. We over emphasized intangibles so as to get to real value. We never cared about how tall you were but cared how long you were. We did not care how fast you are but cared about how quick you are. Basketball is played in small spaces and with quickness being so vital we cared about reaction time in recognition and anticipation. Those are intangible. How how you jump does matter but not if you are not a fast leaper and not if your not a quick 2nd and third jumper. We looked for goos shooters over good dunkers, we looked for preprioception, we looked for playing with your head up. We looked for equal handles, unselfishness, grades, family issues, possee's etc.. As it relates to the two in question they check many boxes but i feel they have not been drilled properly to shore up certain weaknesses but worse , not coached well to only play to strength. The 2 frosh were extremely well coached before they got to the U and are by nature very heady, especially Gabe. With Gabe the only coaching issue is to get lower and wider to have greater leverage against straight line drives. High hoops IQ is a skill to itself and i know dozens of coaches who would never recruit a kid without it, especially guards. Bigs are different as they are always adapting to the newness of being big as they grow and in general, take longer. That is what is crazy scary about Daniel as he is just coming on so fast in the last 24 months.

Not coached to his strengths??? Murphy plays on the inside...does not take many shots form outside.... that is coached.... rebounding is coached.... having a lower center of gravity than your opponent is coached. Murphy was never going to be an outside shooter...Pretty sure Pitino knew this.

Amir single handed lost the last 2 games for us(not totally his fault as he is playing out of position)

the lack of PG play is very apparent and this is a totally different team with a capable PG. (not IW)

I think Pitino's only saving grace at this point will be his recruiting class coming in. sign Hurt and stay. (highly unlikely)

I do agree, both Murph and Amir have a low BB IQ, I'm guessing IW does as well.

Gosh I’d hope so.

I don't blame Murph or either Coffey for their hiccups.

Murph is a dominant player and is one of our all time greats. That said, Pitino is using him in a way that accentuates his weaknesses. Jordan Murphy is best when he is flying around and getting garbage points/rebounds. Yeah, he's not a great point forward. I don't know if I'd say he is terribly low basketball IQ for not having that skill. A good coach wouldn't put him in that position.

As for Coffey, he makes me pull out my hair sometimes. But he should be a 6'7" 3 & D type with a decent handle. We've made him into a PG who we all count on to take over after 20 seconds of our weave offense.

Coffey should be playing a traditional 3.

These two have both been asked to play out of position/outside of their strengths. That's on the coach.

I can’t believe some of the trash talking about Murphy on this board. That guy stuck through 3 scandal and injury riddled seasons, put up record setting performances, and did it all with humility and class.

The guy is a statistical freak and helps out this team every night. Last night was not a big box score night, but why do you think Gabe had so many open looks last night? They were double and triple teaming Murphy every single play!!

You people deserve what you get. Probably the same group that said they were ready to bench or move Nate Mason to the SG position to give IW the reigns to the PG spot.

I can’t believe some of the trash talking about Murphy on this board. That guy stuck through 3 scandal and injury riddled seasons, put up record setting performances, and did it all with humility and class.

The guy is a statistical freak and helps out this team every night. Last night was not a big box score night, but why do you think Gabe had so many open looks last night? They were double and triple teaming Murphy every single play!!

You people deserve what you get. Probably the same group that said they were ready to bench or move Nate Mason to the SG position to give IW the reigns to the PG spot.

I agree totally

I was not ripping Murph in my post just saying his BB IQ is not where it should be as a SR.

Awesome post !

It's been my observation that these are the guys you end up seeing in the NBA. They get up to the rack so quick that there's little opportunity to block or affect the shot.

And yes, Daniel is a little scary. Part of why I'm starting to buy into the idea of making a move on a coach this off season is to get a staff in here that can take him to the next levels.

I don't agree that either Murph or Coffey have low basketball IQ's.

Murph has certain limitations that can't be removed: (i) he's a 6'5" PF; (ii) he's not a jump shooter; and (iii) his dribble is S-L-O-O-O-O-W. But he generally plays in a way to avoid liabilities imposed by these limitations. He doesn't attempt many 3's - maybe one per half. He doesn't often dribble into the lane from 20 ft out. He uses his strength, omnipresent focus and great hands to rebound and put the ball in the hoop - usually from no more than 3 ft out. This is the literal definition of high basketball IQ. He plays within his limitations. We all know that Murph will struggle when playing against 6'9" big men with talent. We can't ask him to magically grow. There are just a few teams where it's not in the cards for Murph. All in, we're damn lucky to have him.

Coffey - here's my take. And it is a complete guess. I think his struggles this year are only partly from running the point. I think the BIGGER COMPONENT is innate personality. When Nate was here, this was Nate's team. But now it's Coffey's team. And while Coffey has the individual skills to be The Man, he does not want to be The Man. It's just that simple. And it's ok. And he doesn't need to change or artificially assume the role. We need to take the pressure off. Let this be Oturu's team - it's inevitable anyway. Oturu is manifestly an NBA talent. Once the pressure is off, Coffey will flourish.

Murphy has the drive and confidence to use his talent. Coffey unfortunately doesn’t have the confidence, aggressiveness or cockiness to use his great talent. The coach has been on him for years to be aggressive and take charge of the game. He has done it a few times this year, but it just looks like he doesn’t want to be the guy. The difference between winning and losing in many B1G games is having your star refuse to lose. We don’t have that yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Murphy has the drive and confidence to use his talent. Coffey unfortunately doesn’t have the confidence, aggressiveness or cockiness to use his great talent. The coach has been on him for years to be aggressive and take charge of the game. He has done it a few times this year, but it just looks like he doesn’t want to be the guy. The difference between winning and losing in many B1G games is having your star refuse to lose. We don’t have that yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree Coffey hasn't risen to the challenge very often. But our freshman big man sure has. Oturu is a monster (not in the way Iowa announcers would be using it). Gabe's game isn't as consistent as Oturu's but he can certainly light it up and I think as the year has gone on, he's added dimensions to it and I'm excited to see what else he can add to it. Per Pitino, he is a tireless worker.

What more does anyone want Murphy to do? Honestly, the guy does a ton for this team. He is the best rebounder this program has ever seen, he fights his butt off and scores more than enough. No team is going inside to their big man at the end of games. It is all about guard play and we really don't have any. Coffey and even Gabe are more #3 type players, or at best shooting guards. Neither is good with the ball in their hands when they have to create.

This team literally is short about 3 decent guards that can handle and create. That is on the entire coaching staff to not recognize what they have and don't have on their roster. Bringing in a slug like Stull when there were likely many guards able to handle the ball was a huge mistake this year. Not recruiting some of the instate point guards that aren't flashy scorers, but solid PGs was a huge mistake.

College basketball is all about guard play and has been for awhile. This team doesn't have it.

What more does anyone want Murphy to do? Honestly, the guy does a ton for this team. He is the best rebounder this program has ever seen, he fights his butt off and scores more than enough. No team is going inside to their big man at the end of games. It is all about guard play and we really don't have any. Coffey and even Gabe are more #3 type players, or at best shooting guards. Neither is good with the ball in their hands when they have to create.

This team literally is short about 3 decent guards that can handle and create. That is on the entire coaching staff to not recognize what they have and don't have on their roster. Bringing in a slug like Stull when there were likely many guards able to handle the ball was a huge mistake this year. Not recruiting some of the instate point guards that aren't flashy scorers, but solid PGs was a huge mistake.

College basketball is all about guard play and has been for awhile. This team doesn't have it.

It's not Murphy's fault. He just can't be your go to scorer . Thats on Pitino

Murph has certain limitations that can't be removed: (i) he's a 6'5" PF; (ii) he's not a jump shooter; and (iii) his dribble is S-L-O-O-O-O-W. But he generally plays in a way to avoid liabilities imposed by these limitations. He doesn't attempt many 3's - maybe one per half. He doesn't often dribble into the lane from 20 ft out. He uses his strength, omnipresent focus and great hands to rebound and put the ball in the hoop - usually from no more than 3 ft out. This is the literal definition of high basketball IQ. He plays within his limitations. We all know that Murph will struggle when playing against 6'9" big men with talent. We can't ask him to magically grow. There are just a few teams where it's not in the cards for Murph. All in, we're damn lucky to have him.

Coffey - here's my take. And it is a complete guess. I think his struggles this year are only partly from running the point. I think the BIGGER COMPONENT is innate personality. When Nate was here, this was Nate's team. But now it's Coffey's team. And while Coffey has the individual skills to be The Man, he does not want to be The Man. It's just that simple. And it's ok. And he doesn't need to change or artificially assume the role. We need to take the pressure off. Let this be Oturu's team - it's inevitable anyway. Oturu is manifestly an NBA talent. Once the pressure is off, Coffey will flourish.

Very well said. I would add that Murphy's basketball IQ has seemed to grow during his time at the U. Earlier in his career he tried to do the things he was not good at far more often and it led to mistakes and turnovers. He used to want to drive the lane all the time, now he generally catches the ball down low and does all his damage right in under the basket. He forgets at times and that is when bad things usually happen.

Think your take on Coffey is pretty much spot on. He has the ability to take over a game but there are so many times where it feels like he just doesn't want to. Oturu absolutely has the look of a guy who wants to dominate when he is out there. Can't wait to see what he develops into as he gets a little stronger.

A true PG, Oturu dominating down low, Gabe drilling 3s and Coffey slashing and causing mismatch problems could be a formula for a really good team. Hopefully Carr can step in and be the PG this team needs or maybe Washington will continue to develop and become that guy eventually.

Murphy has regressed offensively. He can rebound but looks like he's playing fullback for his post moves

Murphy has regressed offensively. He can rebound but looks like he's playing fullback for his post moves

He has regressed, I hate to say. He has been expert at using head fakes and footwork to get clean looks and slam dunks, but now he's just trying to dribble toward the basket and put up contested 5-footers.

Why isn’t Dupree included in this? The amount of long two’s this team takes early in the shot clock is amazing. Would love to see a chart of those shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is an accurate assessment of Coffey. He is a serious, intense-even a tad dour-young man. I think he works very hard trying to be something he's not. I wish Murphy had shot more intermediate jumpers this year. He can make them. Plowing into guys 3-4 inches taller is just not an efficient way to play the game.

Frankly, the team and coaching staff are playing scared and putting too much pressure on themselves. Season's a bust; just go out and play the game and try to have fun.

I think this is an accurate assessment of Coffey. He is a serious, intense-even a tad dour-young man. I think he works very hard trying to be something he's not.

He's trying to get ready for NBA, but he doesn't have those skills.

Murphy @ Rutgers:

Yes, let's rip into college kids who have done a great job representing the university.

Shut the thread down. Gold Vision wins by 47 lengths.

Do think that Murph could be smarter in certain situations, that being said he is my favorite Gopher in a while and has represented the program fantastically. With Coffey I think that his IQ is average, he just should not be running point, definitely tries to make Sportscenter sometimes opposed to making the smart play but most players with his athletic ability do the same thing

This post should be framed for all to read, study, memorize and recite. Sort of like the Pledge of Allegiance. So much dumb analysis on this board (sometimes my own), but this is clear and sadly spot-on accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffey, in my eyes, simply has not progressed the way I had hoped. It is possible he comes out and has a great senior season, but I question the likelihood of that because we really don't know if we will be right back in the same boat with him trying to create after we dribbled away the first 25 seconds of the shot clock....over and over and over. I'm not upset with him, some guys just don't blossom the way you expect unfortunately. The flipside of that is guys like Gabe and Dan who have been awesome for freshman in my eyes. Hopefully their games continue to grow.

Murphy.....I will admit I yell at the TV over things he does occasionally like many others, I'm sure. But once I take emotion out of it, I find it difficult to fault him for much. The guy is, by necessity, playing the role he is not suited for. He is possibly the most unbelievable rebounder I've ever seen in person. The guy is 6'6" and he makes some of these 6"10 guys look like their 6'3" when a rebound comes to his general area. The dumb fouls, turnovers and the questionable basketball IQ, to me, are simply part of the package that is Jordan Murphy. This was a guy none of us had ever heard of when we snagged him. He's been a damn good player considering that. And he's represented the school well also. He can be frustrating, no doubt, but I cannot rip the guy when he has carved out a statistically historic career from what is frankly a limited basketball skillset.

And whoever said rebounding is coached (in reference to Jordan Murphy)......his rebounding is not coached. Those particular skills and instincts are God-given. Like I said, I've never seen someone so small attack rebounds like that in person.

I don't think Jordan Murphy's basketball IQ is low at all. He takes higher percentage shots and possessions than most all of his teammates. He's the least of the Gophers problems.

He did goof up that last sequence because he's not at all confident in his outside shot. That's going to hurt his NBA chances a lot because a guy his size is going to need to space the floor.

Top Bottom