2019 S&P+ projections are out - big jump for MN

3rd in the West and 7th in Big Ten overall. Would we feel good about this next year? Yeah, but a little bummed I think.

Curious why they have Wisconsin all the way up at 11. Aren't they losing a substantial number of guys from a team already on the downtrend? They have the Badgers at #10 overall in returning production, far more than the Gophers? It's not returning starters, as Bama is #1, Georgia #2, etc in this metric. Still, Wisconsin wasn't #10 last year, and a bunch of those guys are leaving.

These rankings were posted earlier.

On our schedule for 2019, only Wisconsin, Penn State and Iowa are ranked above us. That means that this season represents a golden opportunity.

9 wins, and then an appearance in a good bowl game seem like reasonable expectations.

If the team performs accordingly, recruiting will be that much easier the following season.

To my eye there are parallels with the 9-win 2016 season.

Say we win the games we are favored to win, as that team team did, and lose all three in which we're underdogs — again, in similar fashion to 2016.

Do that, and we're 9-3 and actually have a chance, with a bowl win, to eclipse that team's 9-4 record.

Maybe Wisconsin is so high because of their weighted 5-year production?

I have long envisioned a B1G championship for the Gophers where they have a season similar to the 1995 Northwestern squad. The overall odds are still against it and having a B1G championship game now adds another hurdle. But in general, I am allowing my imagination to channel visions of 1995 to the Gophers this year. Honestly, if I had to bet on the lives of my loved ones as to what my best prediciton is, I would place my money on 8-4 or maybe even 9-3. But that doesn't mean I can't go into 2019 season with HOPE of it being the Gopher year to be the 1995 Wildcats.

These rankings were posted earlier.

On our schedule for 2019, only Wisconsin, Penn State and Iowa are ranked above us. That means that this season represents a golden opportunity.

9 wins, and then an appearance in a good bowl game seem like reasonable expectations.

If the team performs accordingly, recruiting will be that much easier the following season.

To my eye there are parallels with the 9-win 2016 season.

Say we win the games we are favored to win, as that team team did, and lose all three in which we're underdogs — again, in similar fashion to 2016.

Do that, and we're 9-3 and actually have a chance, with a bowl win, to eclipse that team's 9-4 record.

Sorry, I must have missed it. I agree with your thoughts above ^. It’s a nice opportunity.

Whether the gophers are rated high or low, preseason rankings are fairly dumb in my opinion.

Top Bottom