Raise your hand if.......

I posted something about our bench a few months ago (right before Big Ten started) talking about how our bench was a total liability. To build upon comments back then, not much has changed.

Our bench is:
Curry - Solid player but injury is going to stick with him. He's lost explosiveness. No way can you count on him to be the starting 4 next year, I think his role moving forward in his career is what he is right now, a swing backup frontcourt player that can give you solid minutes.
IW - Absolute lock to transfer and I don't blame him, not a rip on him, just best for both sides. Will have moments here and there but has zero idea what is happening on the floor in regards to game situation. Needs to be somewhere where he's given the shot to basically just go and be with the ball the majority of the time, not trying to orchestrate an offense.
Hurt - Terrified to be on the floor. I don't care that he "makes good cuts" or "is a good teammate," he's simply afraid to be on the floor and to make a mistake.
Stull - I knew he was going to be out of shape but he's a chunk still 6 or so months into being here. Also, for being a shooter, he sure is afraid to actually shoot the ball.
Matz - I know he's 7'2" but good god is he uncoordinated. People talk about him playing decent minutes here and there? Probably only cause we watched Bakary and Gas for years. Has no business being on the floor at this level.
Omersa - Is basically a video game character where people are just pressing the jump button repeatedly for no reason.

Tell me where I was wrong?

Listen, all of our starters have flaws to their games, but the constant posts I've seen throughout the year over "why don't we try bench player X more?" has made me just lose it. These guys are all major liabilities each time they step on the floor, some don't get it, some are terrified to be on the floor, some are a total klutz, they provide zero value.

Unfortunately, we can't bench our starters when they are struggling because more times than not, it is a disaster waiting to happen each time one of these guys steps on the floor.

I'm not asking for much, but you need some remote production off the bench as our starters just aren't good enough to be given the free pass at all times.

There's still hope for Curry. Hopefully he dedicates himself to rehab and getting stronger. If he recovers 90-100%, him and Oturu will be a good front court next year.

I agree with everything else other than Omersa. He's raw, and given where this season is going, I wish he would have gotten more clock. He kind of reminds me of Miles Tarver. When Tarver was a frosh, he was so raw, so terrible. The following season, he was a rotation player on a national championship contender. But Clem gave him clock so he could develop. He may become nothing, but he still only a freshman. You need these development guys to develop, so when their number is called in a season or two, they are ready.

I'm shocked that Stull is as bad as he is. I thought he would have a Malik Smith or Akeem Springs like impact. Was wrong there.

Last edited:

If you replace Richard, I bet Gabe and Oturu walk. You want to talk about starting over!

If you replace Richard, I bet Gabe and Oturu walk. You want to talk about starting over!

There's always a risk, but you have to take it if your current head coach isnt cutting it. Also, GK and DO might be less likely than most because of their desire to be Gophers

It's possible, but I don't believe that it's a guarantee

I bet they would not leave. It would make starting over a tough start but a great coach will implement his way from the beginning. These two get to stay home, which they wanted and to play for a better coach.

I think this is so far from the truth.

Everything said and written about and by these players leads me to believe they chose the Gophers, not Pitino, and would have been Gophers regardless of coach.

They'll both start next year and get to play for the team they chose. They won't go anywhere. In fact, I think a new coach increases the likelihood other guys (IW) stay here.

There's still hope for Curry. Hopefully he dedicates himself to rehab and getting stronger. If he recovers 90-100%, him and Oturu will be a good front court next year.

Hopefully, but I don't see it. I said it at the start of this year when everyone was thinking he was gonna be such a big piece, not to count on him for much if anything. Turns out that is how it went down. I honestly don't think you are going to get much from him at all going forward. I just am not confident he will ever heal enough to be back to what he was. Hope like heck I am wrong because a healthy Curry with Oturo would be more than fine on that front line next season.

Hopefully, but I don't see it. I said it at the start of this year when everyone was thinking he was gonna be such a big piece, not to count on him for much if anything. Turns out that is how it went down. I honestly don't think you are going to get much from him at all going forward. I just am not confident he will ever heal enough to be back to what he was. Hope like heck I am wrong because a healthy Curry with Oturo would be more than fine on that front line next season.

Yes you were 100% right about this season.

But he just needs more time to build up strength. He's young, I have to believe he can come back from this

Pitino has a few decent bench players who could come in one or two at a time and play several minutes, but that staff has no clue how or when or why to sub players.

Who??? They're all either turnover prone or absolutely petrified to look at the basket and shoot the ball. We've had to stick with struggling starters because we don't have viable bench options. If any of them could give us 10-12 minutes, make a few shots, and play defense, they'd be in there.

Yes you were 100% right about this season.

But he just needs more time to build up strength. He's young, I have to believe he can come back from this

Let's hope for it. I think the guy is a worker, so hopefully things end up on the positive side for him. Seems like a good kid.

I posted something about our bench a few months ago (right before Big Ten started) talking about how our bench was a total liability. To build upon comments back then, not much has changed.

Our bench is:
Curry - Solid player but injury is going to stick with him. He's lost explosiveness. No way can you count on him to be the starting 4 next year, I think his role moving forward in his career is what he is right now, a swing backup frontcourt player that can give you solid minutes.
IW - Absolute lock to transfer and I don't blame him, not a rip on him, just best for both sides. Will have moments here and there but has zero idea what is happening on the floor in regards to game situation. Needs to be somewhere where he's given the shot to basically just go and be with the ball the majority of the time, not trying to orchestrate an offense.
Hurt - Terrified to be on the floor. I don't care that he "makes good cuts" or "is a good teammate,"
Stull - I knew he was going to be out of shape but he's a chunk still 6 or so months into being here. Also, for being a shooter, he sure is afraid to actually shoot the ball.
Matz - I know he's 7'2" but good god is he uncoordinated. People talk about him playing decent minutes here and there? Probably only cause we watched Bakary and Gas for years. Has no business being on the floor at this level.he's simply afraid to be on the floor and to make a mistake.

Omersa - Is basically a video game character where people are just pressing the jump button repeatedly for no reason.

Tell me where I was wrong?

Listen, all of our starters have flaws to their games, but the constant posts I've seen throughout the year over "why don't we try bench player X more?" has made me just lose it. These guys are all major liabilities each time they step on the floor, some don't get it, some are terrified to be on the floor, some are a total klutz, they provide zero value.

Unfortunately, we can't bench our starters when they are struggling because more times than not, it is a disaster waiting to happen each time one of these guys steps on the floor.

I'm not asking for much, but you need some remote production off the bench as our starters just aren't good enough to be given the free pass at all times.

I think you could say the same thing about most of the backups. They're scared because they know if they make one mistake, they will get yanked right away and probably not play again that game.

Washington should be getting into the mix very early into the game in my opinion instead of almost always coming in to play with other backups.

I see a lot of similarities between Patino and Thibs. Down to the pouting and everything.

Top Bottom