Should Dupree McBrayer been called for a foul late in the game?

Should Dupree been called for a foul?

• Yes, that was a foul on Dupree.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No way in hell was that a foul. Another brutal call by BT officials at end of game.

Votes: 36 92.3%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
What say you GopherHole? I say no way. Not a foul.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Officiating is brutal these days. So inconsistent. So many phantom calls like this one.

Question: Was the game tied at this point? I dont remember the situation

I said he never touched him when they showed the replay.

But since this is Minnesota sports, well, he touched him.

Officiating is brutal these days. So inconsistent. So many phantom calls like this one.

Question: Was the game tied at this point? I dont remember the situation

Rutgers up 64-63 and 2 seconds on the shot clock - 15.2 game clock - when the foul was called.

Thanks GJ. I was distracted by my kids fighting and missed the Oturu FT miss and this play. I was too bored with the outcome to rewind to this part

Should Murphy have air balled his first free throw?

Not only was it not a foul, but it was clearly not a foul in real time watching on tv. The whistle was really late too. It never should have came down to it, and there are a ton of problems with this program, but that's 2 games that have basically been stolen from them. With as bad as the bubble looks right now, the Gophers 9-8 record would have them just needing to win one of their final 3 games to be absolutely secure. It's impossible for me to feel sorry for this group (coaches and players) with their inconsistent at best effort all season, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they've been screwed twice.

Not a foul, but not why we lost.

We lost because we are bad.

I actually count three games with officiating that’s screwed the gophers in the closing seconds:

- Michigan shot clock allowing game winner
- Nebraska out of bounds + foul on ac
- phantom call on dm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually count three games with officiating that’s screwed the gophers in the closing seconds:

- Michigan shot clock allowing game winner
- Nebraska out of bounds + foul on ac
- phantom call on dm

It's funny how good teams get lucky and bad team don't. Luck is not a coincidence.

It's funny how good teams get lucky and bad team don't. Luck is not a coincidence.

I understand your point but Rutgers was lucky there and they are not good. I couldn't believe it when he went to the line. Thought the refs were talking about something else and then he was shooting free throws. Maybe because he was soooo short they thought he got hit.

I don't know, but I do know that McBrayer didn't even complain about the call and even raised his hand like he was admitting to it.

It was a bad call and we've had more than our fair share of bad calls late in games that helped us lose. This, the shot clock against Michigan, and the Nebraska out of bounds and foul call come to mind.

In every single one, we played poorly for significant parts of the game. If we had players who could contribute off the bench, or had players stop forcing bad shots, or could shoot free throws, or could shoot 3s, or could stop small runs from becoming huge runs, those bad calls would be the difference between a 10 point game and a 12-13 point game and not worth talking about.

Does anybody think that even if the foul had not been called the Gophers would have won the game, how often has an offensive set with Coffey, Mcbrayer, or Murphy playing hero ball worked.

I pretty much thought that MB raised his hand to draw attention to the absurdity of the call. Kind of like, “yeah right, I fouled him”

It wasn't a foul, but it's not surprising that it was called that way. We have the benefit of watching the play from various angles, slowed down, etc. The officials don't have that luxury and have to make a call in real time from whatever vantage point they have. Usually those calls balance out somewhat, but it really sucks when it comes in the closing minutes of a game. I do think there are more blown calls than there used to be, though, because more players are deliberately trying to get fouls called while shooting by play-acting and whining.

The ref must have thought there’s no way you miss a shot that bad and blew a whistle. Not a foul, and we can’t do anything about it. College basketball is almost unwatchable because of the insane amount of tv timeouts, crappy officiating, and the absurd amount of official reviews that take away from the flow of the game.

The ref must have thought there’s no way you miss a shot that bad and blew a whistle. Not a foul, and we can’t do anything about it. College basketball is almost unwatchable because of the insane amount of tv timeouts, crappy officiating, and the absurd amount of official reviews that take away from the flow of the game.

This....so much of this!

No, but it's irrelevant.

I'm tired of whining about refs. We had plenty of opportunities, and failed to capitalize. Rutgers a poor shooting team drilled a clutch 3 and clutch FT's

We missed FT's down stretch, and couldn't get a bucket

Bad loss

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I’m getting tired of hearing the “the call didn’t lose the game because they should have played better” stance. That is coach speak for the media and for the guys in the locker room. I understand this perspective if you are part of the game (player/coach) or advocating for the sport (media). But we are the consumer, and as a fan of basketball, it’s pretty ****ty to see so many games (not just gophers) come down to blown or phantom calls. Kentucky-LSU is the banner this year. The reality is many games come down to a late game possession or two, and the product suffers when the officials make mistakes.

(This isn’t meant to distract from the poor play of the gophers, in this most recent game or all season).

I voted no foul, but it appears the reason his shot was so short was McBrayer steps on his left foot as his pulling back and up for the shot.
I have more problems with Rutgers' Omoruyi throwing a high elbow every time he spun towards the hoop with the ball. It was called the first time and then not called the rest of the game.

No, but it's irrelevant.

I'm tired of whining about refs. We had plenty of opportunities, and failed to capitalize. Rutgers a poor shooting team drilled a clutch 3 and clutch FT's

We missed FT's down stretch, and couldn't get a bucket

Bad loss

Why does it have to be one or the other? It can be both. It's not like every thread is about this bad call.

Why does it have to be one or the other? It can be both. It's not like every thread is about this bad call.

It's just getting tiresome. There were most likely calls/non calls that went our way throughout the game as well. I get annoyed by inconsistent refs, but I feel like some posters here feel there is a conspiracy of refs against MN.

Not only was it not a foul, but it was clearly not a foul in real time watching on tv. The whistle was really late too. It never should have came down to it, and there are a ton of problems with this program, but that's 2 games that have basically been stolen from them. With as bad as the bubble looks right now, the Gophers 9-8 record would have them just needing to win one of their final 3 games to be absolutely secure. It's impossible for me to feel sorry for this group (coaches and players) with their inconsistent at best effort all season, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they've been screwed twice.

Couldn't have said it better. When I watched it live, my reaction was that the ref assumed he was hit on the elbow because the shot was so short, which would also explain the late call. I highly doubt he calls that if Geo hits rim.

I voted no foul, but it appears the reason his shot was so short was McBrayer steps on his left foot as his pulling back and up for the shot.
I have more problems with Rutgers' Omoruyi throwing a high elbow every time he spun towards the hoop with the ball. It was called the first time and then not called the rest of the game.

That drove me insane. Those elbows were flying all over the place on every pivot.

Top Bottom