***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Hopefully the next coach recruits better shooters and higher IQ basketball players then the current coach has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody wants that to happen more than me.

What happened was, Coffey, who can’t go right, went to his left and got stuck near the baseline

Makes sense. Hard to blame the coach for Coffey going the wrong direction and not getting the ball to the one shooter.

He needs to recruit better players and he'll be a better coach. My guess is he is done here so he'll have to get them elsewhere. My guess is that he will. I hope the next coach shoots better.

Ya, who needs coaches, just get guys who shoot better. Can’t believe more people haven’t figured this out!

Plus, Stull is so afraid to take a shot, that he may never see the free throw line anyway.

It’s all Stull’s fault! This would be a sweet 16 team otherwise.

If Murphy jumps straight up and comes straight down, the guy doesn't hit him. Murphy jumped two feet forward to create contact after the guy bit and jumped into the air while coming at him. I'm not saying they don't call that a foul often, I'm saying that after Murphy got him in the air, he jumps forward two feet in order to create the contact. The contact was a foot and a half in front of the three point line.
Two feet? Amazing physics that his feet were 2 inches behind the three point line when he pump-faked and also when he was fouled. He hadn’t even let go of the ball.

Bad take.

Need 3 to tie and give it to a career 22% 3-point shooter, not the guy who just tied the team record for most 3s in a half and who hasn't missed all day. Great coaching.
No doubt we needed to get the ball to Gabe. But when you put the ball in Coffey's hands, you cut off half the court. Do you think he even looked for Gabe? He drove until he got boxed in and then Murphy was standing there, the only outlet he looked at.

Two feet? Amazing physics that his feet were 2 inches behind the three point line when he pump-faked and also when he was fouled. He hadn’t even let go of the ball.

Bad take.

I wish we had the video to watch it again. Murphy is jumping forward and into the guy. The guy landed a foot and a half in front of the three point line. Murphy got him in the air and then jumped into the space the guy was going to come down in. If that is Murphy's normal shot, no wonder he doesn't shot three point shots. It's a move that Curry uses all the time and gets the call. I've also seen them not make that call.

This is true. He is massively out of position at the point.

I almost feel bad for him. he gets a lot of heat on here for having no heart when in reality he isn’t good enough to play point guard in the big ten.

Did people question hoffarbers heart when he couldn’t play point guard in the big ten?

Coffey might be a bigger problem next year if he stays.

If he stays, assuming we have a new coach, neither he nor his father will have any leverage. He'll just have to play where he's told to play or quit the team.

the 1st time a player drives into the lane, gets trapped and stripped of the ball, that's on the player. the 4th or 5th time it happens, that is on the coaches. Because you call a time out, get the players in a huddle, and you tell them, or scream at them - "they're clogging the lane. don't try to dribble-drive into the lane."

But the Gophers just keep doing it - with the same results every time.

the 1st time a player drives into the lane, gets trapped and stripped of the ball, that's on the player. the 4th or 5th time it happens, that is on the coaches. Because you call a time out, get the players in a huddle, and you tell them, or scream at them - "they're clogging the lane. don't try to dribble-drive into the lane."

But the Gophers just keep doing it - with the same results every time.

You might as well tell Coffey, McBrayer and Murphy to take a seat during that huddle because driving into the lane is what those three do, as you can see from their shooting stats.

Richard Pitino is going to end up being fired, and while he’s had some bad luck during his run here, he also is really bad at player rotations. Today they got an early lead, then he subbed out the players who got that lead, put in 3 subs, and Rutgers promptly went in an 11-0 run to put the Gophers in a first half hole. Then, they built a 9-point early second half lead and had Rutgers on the ropes, and at 19:10(!!!!) of the second half he took BOTH of his most effective players (today) out of the game and Rutgers immediately went on a 9-0 run to tie it, before he finally put both of those players back in and the team stabilized.

Why does he continue to mess around with Curry? Sure, I’m sure he works very hard and we all are sorry he had a bad injury, but you NEED TO WIN, quit the experiment; a perfectly usable sub at the post is Stockman, who had held his own most of the year.

And when both Kalsheur and Stoll are on the bench there is Zero outside shooting presence on the floor and other teams don’t even bother to do anything but clog the lane. How many times is Pitino going to allow leads to be blown with horrendous subbing patterns this year?

Finally,Coffey and McBrayer largely fail to set good screens to get the team’s best shooter(s) open...team ball goes a long way to success. Gabe hardly had any looks in the second half - mainly because Gabe was setting a bunch of screens and getting few in return. Coffey and McBrayer are selfish players on the court, and if they were better at moving the ball this team would have at least 3 or 4 more wins (or more) thia season. The ball movementon this squad is terrible.

Last edited:

Curry went in for Oturu? Ouch. I guess the coach wasn't paying attention to who has been producing the last few games.

Curry went in for Oturu? Ouch. I guess the coach wasn't paying attention to who has been producing the last few games.

I think pitino consults the magic 8 ball for substitutions.

Top Bottom