***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

After last game, I said I was fine with him being fired. What I am saying is that this game is on the players
Coffey was terrible again. But I can’t understand why RP didn’t do something to slow down the Rutgers interior offense. They are not a good shooting team. And they were killing us all night in the paint with no double teams. Again.

Last edited:

Coffey was terrible again. But I can’t understand why RP didn’t do something to slow down the Rutgers inferior offense. They are not a good shooting team. And they were killing us all night in the paint with no double teams. Again.

When Coffey leaves the gophers next year, they won't miss him in the least.

I don’t blame Pitino for free throws. Every player takes 100 per day. If they make under 75, they do extra conditioning and shoot more.

Stull must make a lot because conditioning doesn’t appear to be his focus.

When Coffey leaves the gophers next year, they won't miss him in the least.

I’m really hoping to take his parents seats. Love where they are at. Not sure they’ll keep them once Amir leaves.

I don’t blame Pitino for free throws. Every player takes 100 per day. If they make under 75, they do extra conditioning and shoot more.

Stull's conditioning is inexcusable. I'd rather see any minutes he gets go to Michael Hurt.

Stull's conditioning is inexcusable. I'd rather see any minutes he gets go to Michael Hurt.

Stull getting a single minute is inexcusable.

Bad on defense. Bad on offense.
No eligibility left.
No experience playing with the guys so it’s not even like he brings intangibles

No bench means the starters are gassed at the end. That is Pitinos fault.

No legit PG is 100% on the coach.

The FT thing is the only thing I can't blame Pitino at all for.

He needs to recruit better players and he'll be a better coach. My guess is he is done here so he'll have to get them elsewhere. My guess is that he will. I hope the next coach shoots better.

Like shootin’ fish in a barrel. It’s too easy. Anyone who’s watched this team under Pitino knows they’re going to look unprepared and lack confidence in crunch time. Sad to watch the caliber players the Gophers have look confused and unprepared when the game gets to crunch time. No one to take charge, no one knows what’s going to happen. I’ve never seen a basketball team at any level manage a shot clock so poorly and run up against it so often in crunch time. The guys should say F it in the Big Ten tourney and just play how they want. Play like it’s a pick up game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add insult to injury, the Gophers were going to take a commitment from a player named Devonte Bandoo. At the end of his visit, they got word that Stull wanted to come and placed a higher priority in Brock. Devonte had 22 yesterday for an NCAA tournament team in Baylor. For the year, he's shooting 38.3% from 3 and has seen his minutes increase in February. Meanwhile Brock has 35 points on the entire season and is somehow still out of shape at the end of February.

Pitino recruited every guy on the team. If he recruited guys who can't shoot, that's entirely on him.

Plus, Stull is so afraid to take a shot, that he may never see the free throw line anyway.

He needs to recruit better players and he'll be a better coach. My guess is he is done here so he'll have to get them elsewhere. My guess is that he will. I hope the next coach shoots better.

He hasn't recruited enough shooters or players that can contribute if not starting. All on him.

That was a bad loss against a terrible team. It was actually laughable watching them shoot outside, I’ve never seen so many airballs from a D1 team. Run a zone and they probably wouldn’t have broke 50 points. I’m done with Richard and done with the 2 upperclassmen guards. They have been slugs overall ata time when they are needed the most. It’s sad though because I think with a decent PG the game would open up for them much more

Coffey was terrible again. But I can’t understand why RP didn’t do something to slow down the Rutgers inferior offense. They are not a good shooting team. And they were killing us all night in the paint with no double teams. Again.

You are right. But somehow, when the game was on the line, there was Geo Baker hitting FTs and hitting a nice clutch step back three. A possession or two earlier we closed them down inside and one of their guys hits a corner three with a few seconds on the shot clock. Our guys? We have been losing close games with regularity since Clem left town.

The broadcast team remarked about the lack of double teams. I think they were surprised the Gophers didn't try that. I feel like it was a major tactical error not to mention an inability or unwillingness to adjust.

Feel bad for the team. They will be hitting -40F windchill in two hours after another crushing loss. Just not quite good enough on the court or in the coaching box. Hopefully they can pick themselves off the floor and compete hard the last three games.

The broadcast team remarked about the lack of double teams. I think they were surprised the Gophers didn't try that. I feel like it was a major tactical error not to mention an inability or unwillingness to adjust.

Like I said, we are down 6 pts. most nights in B10 on coaching match up alone.

Also....for those complaining about the Nebraska call....Murphy jumped into the guy on the three point shot....just saying.

Not a good comparison. The Rutgers player launched himself into Murphy's space. Coffey was much more vertical. Hardly mattered. You could see the bad miss coming.

After last game, I said I was fine with him being fired. What I am saying is that this game is on the players. Murphy, Coffey, Curry and McBrayer all played lousy. Guys didn't step up. Pitino's overall record is not good enough. I'm just identifying what is real in this game and our players got outplayed by Rutgers' players in the last 4 minutes, and some of them for much of the game.

Coffey 4-12 4 turnovers 0-2 free throws
Murphy 3-10 3-7 free throws
McBrayer 2-9

2 seniors and a junior 9-31 3-9 free throws
Just make your free throws and you win the game

Well if this is a personnel issue then I think we should get rid of the General Manager.

Murphy thinking he had a better chance of making 3 free throws than making a wide open 3 tells me all I need to know about his basketball IQ.

Murphy at the 3 point line in that situation tells me all I need to know about Minnesota’s coach.

I’d rather see Omersa than Curry. His energy and athleticism might be helpful on the court ad Curry is doing so little it isn’t a big loss in production.

Curry looks hurt. Hurt looks sad.

Feel bad for the team. They will be hitting -40F windchill in two hours after another crushing loss. Just not quite good enough on the court or in the coaching box. Hopefully they can pick themselves off the floor and compete hard the last three games.

You feel bad for a team fighting for an NCAA berth that lost to Rutgers? What does Rutgers have to play for? The Gophers got a terrible effort/performance from everyone associated with the program not named Gabe or Daniel. Outside of those two, everyone else got exactly what they deserved.

Murphy at the 3 point line in that situation tells me all I need to know about Minnesota’s coach.

I’ll have to rewatch it but I think there was a double screen on the other side of the court for Gabe but Murphy took it into his own hands before the play could develop. Haven’t had a chance to rewatch it yet.

Hopefully the next coach recruits better shooters and higher IQ basketball players then the current coach has.

I’ll have to rewatch it but I think there was a double screen on the other side of the court for Gabe but Murphy took it into his own hands before the play could develop. Haven’t had a chance to rewatch it yet.

What happened was, Coffey, who can’t go right, went to his left and got stuck near the baseline

Murphy’s defender clearly fouled. Not close. Bad take.

If Murphy jumps straight up and comes straight down, the guy doesn't hit him. Murphy jumped two feet forward to create contact after the guy bit and jumped into the air while coming at him. I'm not saying they don't call that a foul often, I'm saying that after Murphy got him in the air, he jumps forward two feet in order to create the contact. The contact was a foot and a half in front of the three point line.

Top Bottom