U leaders punished football players to be ‘heroes’ against sexual assault, lawyer say

The thing is, if I remember right the "player that wasn't even there" was Shenault. The problem was he wasn't accused of participating, he was accused of covering it up afterward. He put out that statement to try to win sympathy when that was never why he was suspended in the first place.

Also, only one result shifted on appeal that I know of, and that was Williams, right? The EOAA did not punish five guys and the appeal reversed Williams'.

I'll be shocked if they win anything, unless someone who could legally release the report leaked it. Up until that point all the U said was that 10 players were suspended for the Bowl game. The media put 2+2 together and figured it out it went back to the accused rape, then the players made comments, then things got out of hand. But the way Title IX is written, the U has a responsibility to protect the potential victim potentially at the expense of the accused, so I'm guessing the court will find they were within their rights to punish the players how they did.

I thought it was another player who was allegedly not there but I'd rather not name names. IIRC there was more than one round outside EOAA.

The thing is, if I remember right the "player that wasn't even there" was Shenault. The problem was he wasn't accused of participating, he was accused of covering it up afterward. He put out that statement to try to win sympathy when that was never why he was suspended in the first place.

Also, only one result shifted on appeal that I know of, and that was Williams, right? The EOAA did not punish five guys and the appeal reversed Williams'.

I'll be shocked if they win anything, unless someone who could legally release the report leaked it. Up until that point all the U said was that 10 players were suspended for the Bowl game. The media put 2+2 together and figured it out it went back to the accused rape, then the players made comments, then things got out of hand. But the way Title IX is written, the U has a responsibility to protect the potential victim potentially at the expense of the accused, so I'm guessing the court will find they were within their rights to punish the players how they did.

He was accused of lying to the esteemed investigator, not covering it up. His "lie" was due to the "investigator" being confused about AM and PM. Think about that for a second. Your name and photo, repeatedly plastered in the news with "Rape" and "Sexual Assault" headlines, all because some moron forgot that days change at midnight.

He was accused of lying to the esteemed investigator, not covering it up. His "lie" was due to the "investigator" being confused about AM and PM. Think about that for a second. Your name and photo, repeatedly plastered in the news with "Rape" and "Sexual Assault" headlines, all because some moron forgot that days change at midnight.

If that was the case the confusing part about that is ... in a criminal case they'd just discuss it, even if just with the accused's lawyer. Kinda weird an actual decision gets made with something as simple is that.

If that was the case the confusing part about that is ... in a criminal case they'd just discuss it, even if just with the accused's lawyer. Kinda weird an actual decision gets made with something as simple is that.
Thus the injustice inherent in the system.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The EOAA investigator (Marisam) punished all 10. The appeal panel eliminated 3 punishments and reduced 1 (Djam - he was in the video) and the provost eliminated another (Mark Williams).

They seem to have a tough case in the sense they have to prove damages and it may be too soon for that. They may not have been denied opportunities both academic or private...yet. The other elements are there. Their names were published, the school president when on the air at least twice and gave an interview where he absolutely supported their guilt (without benefit of a legitimate legal proceeding).

From KTSP:

After another round of appeals in the alleged sexual assault case from last September involving several Gophers football players, Antoine Winfield Jr., Kobe McCrary and Mark Williams have been cleared, while cornerback KiAnte Hardin still is facing expulsion, their attorneys confirmed Monday.

The latest round of appeals went to university provost Karen Hanson and involved four of the 10 players originally suspended over an alleged sexual assault from Sept. 2.

In December, the university’s office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) recommended expulsion for Hardin, Ray Buford, Carlton Djam, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson, one-year suspensions for Winfield, Seth Green, Kobe McCrary and Mark Williams and probation for Antonio Shenault.

The players appealed those suspensions. In February, a three-person panel upheld the recommended expulsions for Hardin, Buford, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson. The panel reduced Djam’s penalty to a one-year suspension. The panel also cleared Green, Winfield, McCrary and Shenault, while upholding Williams’ one-year suspension.

But the victim appealed the rulings on Winfield and McCrary, while Hardin and Williams made their own appeals.

On Monday, Hanson upheld the decision to remove Winfield’s one-year suspension, his attorney Ryan Pacayga confirmed.

Top Bottom