Coach Pitino talks about job security, IW, Coyle relationship and more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: A few years ago, there was speculation about your job status before the Gophers turned things around to make the NCAA tournament. Do you handle criticism the same way now?

A: When you’re a coach at this level, what you do is pour your heart and soul into your team, your players, your staff, your recruits and most importantly your family. That’s what you do. You don’t get too high and low. You don’t worry what people say about you because they’re going to say it about everybody. So you don’t take offense to it. You just get better. I’m going to coach my team to the best of my ability every single day. And I’m going to be who I am as a person. With an understanding that this is a results driven profession. But I’m going to every day put my heart and soul into it. That’s how you put your head on the pillow every night. I’ll continue to do that and be myself.

Q: Coyle didn’t hire you, but he has supported you since he arrived three years ago. What’s your communication like with Coyle this season?

A: Mark and I have a great relationship. I feel great about the program to be quite honest with you. We’re going to continue to fight and see if we can get into the tournament. We’re excited about recruiting with Tre’ Williams in the fold. He’s a guy who has shot up in every ranking as a four-star player and a top-100 kid. We’ve got two guys in (transfers) Payton Willis and Marcus Carr who are really, really going to help. I think Eric Curry with a good offseason will be back even healthier. I feel really good about it. [He and Coyle] talk about life, family, how the day is going. We’ve got a great relationship and friendship. He asks me how I’m doing. I ask him how he’s doing. That’s about it.

Q: Isaiah Washington returned from missing a game with a tailbone injury. Was he bothered by it against Michigan, and that limited his playing time?

A: No. Not really. It’s hard. You can’t play everybody. You have to put the guys on the court who you think can help you win.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-coach-richard-pitino-we-re-still-in-the-fight/506274552/

Go Gophers!!

Man, I know you shouldnt read into everything about IW, but there sure seems to be a lot of smoke around him. This certainly adds more smoke.

Man, I know you shouldnt read into everything about IW, but there sure seems to be a lot of smoke around him. This certainly adds more smoke.

I think Pitino has concluded that IW can't play PG in the B1G.

Its just odd, that this team in such dire need of a ball handler, IW isnt given a longer leash. Could be for numerous reasons, all speculative, so I won't mention them. The whole situation is just odd though.

Its just odd, that this team in such dire need of a ball handler, IW isnt given a longer leash. Could be for numerous reasons, all speculative, so I won't mention them. The whole situation is just odd though.

Many agree, but the season's winding down and it ain't gonna happen. Too bad.

He's getting another year. Bank it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think it is more probable that Pitino has no clue on how to turn him into a B1G PG than IW can't.

At Pitino's level and pay it's not about pouring your heart into it it's about getting the most out of your players and results, how can you grade above a D or in the corporate world needs improvement, you wouldn't get six years of that though, you'd be long gone.

Last edited:

Yeah nothing has worked yet at the PG through 20 plus games but what haven’t tried yet is to give your only player on the team who can break down a defender and get easy buckets for others is play him 30 minutes in a game and see what happens. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results. Get a clue Richard

I think it is more probable that Pitino has no clue on how to turn him into a B1G PG than IW can't.

At Pitino's level and pay it's not about pouring your heart into it it's about getting the most out of your players and results, how can you grade above a D or in the corporate world needs improvement, you wouldn't get six years of that though, you'd be long gone.

Didn’t Pitino turn Mason into a top level B1G PG? Don’t be so blind, Pitino has done a very good job of developing his players. I think it still has to do with his trust on how he will play and his shooting. He plays Stull for his ability to hit the three once in a while. Remember that the coaches get to see how the players practice and if IW doesn’t do what he wants in practice then he won’t be trusted in a game. Just my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure no one here has a pass to watch practices. Trust is earned not given.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He's getting another year. Bank it.

At least two, but he will be here for another twenty five years or more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s the only logical conclusion to make.

If he made that conclusion after about 30% of the 2018-19 season it boggles my mind even more how we didn’t bring in a guard who could help immediately. He clearly knew going into the season he had no guard. And don’t give me lines about Carr. A guy who was 50/50 at best to be elligible.

If he really thought Coffey could be an effective PG that really concerns me because it means I see parts of basketball better than a big ten coach.

We all thought IW was a great recruit when he came here. Most of us have learned differently. Some have not. Everyone makes recruiting errors. IW was one of them. Should have pursue McKinley instead.

Last edited:

We all thought IW was a great recruit when he came here. Most of us have learned differently. Some have not. Everyone makes recruiting errors. IW was one of them. Should have pursue McKinley instead.

I wouldn't call IW a recruiting error yet he still has two years to prove himself.

I wouldn't call IW a recruiting error yet he still has two years to prove himself.

Too early to call him a bust and every single coach has recruiting misses. The problem is how we coach them.

Too early to call him a bust and every single coach has recruiting misses. The problem is how we coach them.
Not too early at all. Almost 2 full seasons in. How much of a sample size do you need?

Top Bottom