Football Trophy's

Now that we have split the B1G into divisions the luster has come off of playing for the jug. Penn State and the Gov'na's bell felt made-up from the very start and was bogus.

So, here are the rankings:

1. Axe - Beating Whisky is better than...

2. Floyd - beating Iowa is best when they black out our stadium! Coming up to shop in the cities.

3. Bits of Broken Chair - This has a historic development and really is meaningful toward the spoils of the season!

4. Jug - Diminished by the fact we don't play every year and let's face it, it's not a level playing field.

We could use a Trophy with Northwestern! We are both academic institutions with more emphasis on academics than sports, so shouldn't we play for an Abacus or a Writ. Maybe a fleece, since getting sheepskin from our two universities is more important than sports!

Now that we have split the B1G into divisions the luster has come off of playing for the jug. Penn State and the Gov'na's bell felt made-up from the very start and was bogus.

So, here are the rankings:

1. Axe - Beating Whisky is better than...

2. Floyd - beating Iowa is best when they black out our stadium! Coming up to shop in the cities.

3. Bits of Broken Chair - This has a historic development and really is meaningful toward the spoils of the season!

4. Jug - Diminished by the fact we don't play every year and let's face it, it's not a level playing field.

We could use a Trophy with Northwestern! We are both academic institutions with more emphasis on academics than sports, so shouldn't we play for an Abacus or a Writ. Maybe a fleece, since getting sheepskin from our two universities is more important than sports!

How about a slide rule?

1. Axe.
2. Floyd.
3. Jug
4. Chair
5. Bell

At this point the Bell should be retired. Also, I think the Slab of Bacon should be put in the College Football Hall of Fame.

personally, i think the jug is the coolest, but they aren't ranked in my mind. i would just like to see the start of an era in which we keep multiples in the trophy room for an extended period.

Jug/Pig/Axe (Bell and Chair are mostly irrelevant as others have described.)

Saw the trifecta in the case at Bierman back in the 70's - what a sight!

Which one of the four we play for is the one the most desirable to see in our trophy room. To me (you can guess my age) it still is The Jug. The least is the Liberty Bell although

they all are very desirable. The Pig and Ax are tied.

We play for this now?unnamed.jpg;-)

Seriously,

1.The Jug-The first! (Also means we are having a good season)

2. and 2a. The Axe/ Floyd of Rosedale (Nothing needs to be said)

4. The Chair ( a win means another notch on the all-time series lead)

5. Governors Victory Bell. Typically a win means a decent season. To paraphrase Wren, it's a BigTen win!

For significance of winning, it's Axe, Jug (bc it's Michigan), Pig, Bell/Chair for me. Note that all of our trophy games are against teams that are traditionally upper half of the conference.

For the trophy itself, it's always Floyd for me. It's a cooler trophy than even the Axe. The Jug is a little boring but the lore of it places ahead of the Axe for me too, which is of course the 2nd "replacement" trophy for the rivalry. Chair >>> Bell if it came back.

personally, i think the jug is the coolest, but they aren't ranked in my mind. i would just like to see the start of an era in which we keep multiples in the trophy room for an extended period.

Uniting the trophies is one of the realistic attainable goals for the program. Would mean 5 wins in a year or two against traditional or modern day powers in the league. Would love to see it someday. I think when it happens a secret door unlocks and inside is Bronko Nagurski's ghost holding a golden oar.

Uniting the trophies is one of the realistic attainable goals for the program. Would mean 5 wins in a year or two against traditional or modern day powers in the league. Would love to see it someday. I think when it happens a secret door unlocks and inside is Bronko Nagurski's ghost holding a golden oar.

Agree! I've dreamed of that. How awesome would it be to see the Axe, Jug, and Pig keeping each other company! One thing that came to mind is the importance of winning the Axe this year. A win would put us ahead again in the series. IIRC They only had the lead in the series once (2017). We need to regain and maintain that lead!

Revision. Axe is #1

They had em all when I was in school and Lou was the coach.

https://www.si.com/college-football/photo/2016/11/28/ranking-college-footballs-unusual-trophies

SI ranked them all. The Axe is #1 and Floyd is #3.
I was at the heartbreaking loss to UM at the Metrodome under Holtz. Refs screwed us over on the Ricky Foggy touchdown dive that was called a fumble. It was also when I saw the seas part while Darrell Thompson ran 98 yards up the sideline for a touchdown. What a great game...but sadly a Gopher loss.

1. Jug
2. Floyd
3. Axe / Chair (tie)
|
|
|
|
|
5. Bell

The jug is the oldest, most historically significant, and most prestigious trophy, and second only to Floyd in terms of coolness. And if we've won the jug, you know we've had a good season.

Top Bottom