Iowa announcer suspended for season for referring to Bruno Fernando as King Kong

2 minutes of research would show you the wage gap is nonexistent. Even by liberal sources.

Any thing you can share about this? I have never heard anyone dispute this until tonight on Gopherhole.

Hey, good job in convincing a bunch of white guys that a sorta often-mistaken-for-a-black guy thinks they're good with their language and prejudice. Many of my highly privileged Indian male friends have a big chip about black people. Not saying that's you - I've just observed it.

I am black or as our parents told us, human. My friends are other humans from many cultures and a wide variety of pigmentations. Same at my practice with my employee's . I do not care what color anyone is. I care how they treat people, how interesting they are, did they help anyone today without gaining anything. For the record, i was raised with three extraordinary sisters and it was clear in our house to address each and every person appropriately. As a rule that would be by name. I have never called a woman sweetie, honey, darling...except my wife and girlfriends before that. Some of us are products of how we were raised. We were taught to study hard, work hard, play hard, help others .

We all work here I assume, as mentioned prior an underperforming employee made a poor judgement call on the verbiage he used. His job is literally choosing which verbiage to use to add value to watching the game for viewers. King Kong was a poor choice considering the kid was big and black, and the racial connotations associated with King Kong in general.

How do you know the intent of the Iowa announcer? He is a Big Ten announcer. He should be able to choose words that are not offensive. Again calling an African American or someone of African descent something that has been used in a derogatory way is not okay.
What are you taking about in an earlier post regarding there not being a gender pay gap in response to Moonlight’s post? I wouldn’t think that this is something that is up for debate on a college sports message board.
Or maybe you were being sarcastic in your reply to Moonlight?

https://www.bustle.com/p/11-gender-wage-gap-statistics-that-will-scare-the-crap-out-of-you-8702089

We read people's intent through context. I listened to it, it sure sounded like a compliment to me. He was praising Bruno.

No, I was being serious. There is no gender wage/pay gap.

Well if you're fine with a white guy calling you monkey, gorilla, ape, and maybe banana throwing at you, then please proceed. As long as there's no mal intent, then that should be okay in your book. Well it's not okay in my book. I wouldn't want to be on a job and some dude called me a monkey and put a banana on my desk and then said it was just a joke. According to you, that's totally find as long as there's not bad intent. With me, he wouldn't have any teeth. That announcer was a professional and should've known better...period.

You're misapplying intent.

The announcer was not poking fun (which means it's a negative) at him by calling him King Kong. He was calling him strong and destructive. So no, giving someone a compliment is not the same as making fun of them.

Is it offensive to say a linebacker hits like a Mack truck? Of course not. Would it be offensive to say "hey, you're as big as a truck" to an overweight person? Sure.

It's about intent and context. We do this every single day in almost every single interaction we have. I don't know why we're pretending to not know how to do this.

Good post and much needed perspective. Gopherhole is heavily skewed old, male, and white so most people here are not speaking from a place of understanding or empathy.

The announcer could have called him Godzilla, the hulk, any number of things. What he can't do is call a young African man a gorilla, which is what he did even if he didn't mean it that way. I don't think he should lose his job over it but it was a horrendously bad choice of words for someone who is literally just paid (a lot) to talk.

+1. Plus it seems like people are ignoring the fact that he already had an issue earlier this season. That obviously factored into the suspension. Ultimately this is an issue between an employer and their employee and the outrage over it is silly, IMO.

What you are doing is actually the opposite of morally superiority. I know that you think you are a new age progressive and some of the weak minded folks you probably usually talk to would agree, but it is clumsy and simplistic. You are saying that the rest of us are racist because we don't view the world through a lens of racial hypersensitivity. To you Bruno Fernando is first and foremost defined by his race and hence any comment related to him must be examined as such. People that view individuals as a collection of many factors, their genetics being just one, are going to lag behind you in looking for a correlation to that persons race.

The end goal for society is to look at each person as an individual. All race, all genders. You are on here trying to use ambiguous comments as a cudgel to divide and define yourself. You are not helping anything.

BOOOOOOOM. Have a recommend for yourself

Well he and Fran can go on a golfing trip...

You know, I live with a really wonderful old white guy, who understands he was raised with a problematic way of looking at the world in a way that he has to adjust. So, I asked him what he thought of this, and his response was a laugh, and 'Well, you just cant say that. He should know that.'
Not sure why this is so upsetting to some of you.

I respect your opinion often, it usually carries a lot of weight.

Just out of curiosity, the Phoenix Suns mascot is a frickin' gorilla; has been forever. We should be equally outraged over this?

The Pittsburgh State mascot is the Gorillas. Shut it down?

Just out of curiosity, the Phoenix Suns mascot is a frickin' gorilla; has been forever. We should be equally outraged over this?

And i am not the least offended.

Gorillas are indigenous to both Arizona and Pennsylvania - just as are wolverines to Michigan, badgers to Wisconsin and hoosiers to Indiana - so no; no need to be offended.

Gorillas are indigenous to both Arizona and Pennsylvania - just as are wolverines to Michigan, badgers to Wisconsin and hoosiers to Indiana - so no; no need to be offended.
Not even if you're Fran McCaffrey and you want to point out that cheating m*****f*****s are indigenous to the referee's locker room?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I dislike digging up an old thread, however King Kong Bundy died. He also happens to be caucasian.

Top Bottom