Iowa announcer suspended for season for referring to Bruno Fernando as King Kong

I was just about to post this too. I think we all know what he meant by that. He could have said Godzilla instead I guess. So dumb.

I was just about to post this too. I think we all know what he meant by that. He could have said Godzilla instead I guess. So dumb.

What a crock of schit this is!

People tell me I live in the greatest country in the world, and I continually feel I'm absolutely surrounded by stupidity. ABSOLUTELY SURROUNDED

This guy was comparing him to King Kong........King Kong was a beast.

Thanks PC people. Just thanks!

Sometimes, I feel like I've entered The Twilight Zone.

Would have believed this if someone said it on Gophers broadcast about any of our guards

As most around Iowa know, this marks the second on-air incident this basketball season that put Dolphin in public hot water.

Dolphin was suspended by the University of Iowa and Learfield Sports for two games for negative comments he made about the basketball program and backup guard Maishe Dailey that were inadvertently aired during Iowa’s Nov. 27 game against Pittsburgh.

In that incident, during what was supposed to be a commercial break, Dolphin was telling Hansen that Iowa needed to recruit better guards, then singled out Dailey to make his point.

"We get Maishe Dailey," Dolphin said. "Dribbles into a double-team with his head down. God."

What made that story blow up even more was further comments by Iowa athletics director Gary Barta that there were “ongoing tensions” between Dolphin and head coach Fran McCaffery.

Its the culture of faux outrage and its wildly out of control. Feel bad for the guy.

It’s the same thing referring to your kids as monkeys. Everyone says “oh the kids are being monkeys.” You can’t say anything in today’s society without it being taken out of context. Man I miss the 80’s and early 90’s.

Has he called any white players King Kong? There's been a lot of big white dudes that have come through Carver Hawkeye Arena in the past decades. If they don't want this to be racial, then roll the tape of him calling some big white dudes King Kong. Did he call Happ one?

More to do with pigmentation than race ...nothing derogatory...players have been called beasts, horses, goats, politically correct pansies

It’s not “faux outrage”. They really are sick and tired of all the racists out there. Is this dolphin guy one? Prolly not, but he will do for today to remind you all that we haven’t come that far from your daddy’s youth (your youth for the boomers out there).

It's always interesting when a bunch of white people on a message board get together to decide what should or should not be offensive to African-Americans.

Has he called any white players King Kong? There's been a lot of big white dudes that have come through Carver Hawkeye Arena in the past decades. If they don't want this to be racial, then roll the tape of him calling some big white dudes King Kong. Did he call Happ one?

You make a fair point. If it would occur to an announcer to liken a black player to a giant ape but would never occur to that same announcer to use that reference for a white player, then there obviously is a racial aspect to it.

Certainly I think this announcer meant the remark as a compliment but it doesn't hurt someone who regularly speaks to the public to examine whether he uses certain terms differentially.

to remind you all that we haven’t come that far from your daddy’s youth (your youth for the boomers out there).

Actually, I'm a boomer (a later one) and I can testify that we have come a long way from the things I used to hear in my youth. And, for the record, I think that is mostly a good thing. As a guiding philosophy, "political correctness" is sound. It's the way some people demand the execution and enforcement of it that sometimes goes overboard.

Why isn't a sincere apology enough instead of trying to ruin his career.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

This. It wouldn't have happened had he not been black. Especially with the history of associating AA's with primapes/monkey/ whatever, in a derogatory way, I'm somewhat surprised that most of the posts I've seen have been so quick to absolve him of any blame. Should the penalty be that large? Maybe not, but I'm definitely of the opinion that some sort of sanction is proper.

Regardless, he's been announcing for almost 20 years and should know better. It seems comparable in my mind this: { A dominant Native American player in the league has just sealed the game for Maryland and the announcer calls him "a savage" or refers to his play as savage. Or a dominant Indian player (around the rim) who happens to be referred to as a "Genie"}

Moves like this are done to appease stupid people. It is pretty simple.

It's always interesting when a bunch of white people on a message board get together to decide what should or should not be offensive to African-Americans.

I'd ask them to make me a list, but I ain't reading no 100,000,000 page essay!

Why isn't a sincere apology enough instead of trying to ruin his career.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Well, i think that works if he was in Virginia. And thats the other schit that is laughable. I need a list of what you can and can't do. It depends on who you are in this country to determine if you get punished or not.

Last edited:

This. It wouldn't have happened had he not been black. Especially with the history of associating AA's with primapes/monkey/ whatever, in a derogatory way, I'm somewhat surprised that most of the posts I've seen have been so quick to absolve him of any blame. Should the penalty be that large? Maybe not, but I'm definitely of the opinion that some sort of sanction is proper.

Regardless, he's been announcing for almost 20 years and should know better. It seems comparable in my mind this: { A dominant Native American player in the league has just sealed the game for Maryland and the announcer calls him "a savage" or refers to his play as savage. Or a dominant Indian player (around the rim) who happens to be referred to as a "Genie"}

He called him King Kong because he was dominating. Keep on digging though.

I'm telling you, the black lines on the court are racist too. Paint them pink

In my opinion they're being way too hard on the Beave. Let's reserve our energy for the real dangerous and racist stuff that's going on out there, because there's plenty. This just distracts from society's real problems.

In my opinion they're being way too hard on the Beave. Let's reserve our energy for the real dangerous and racist stuff that's going on out there, because there's plenty. This just distracts from society's real problems.

Ok, I'll ask. What real dangerous stuff?

Well like it or not objective reality is important.

By your subjective reality standard, I could say that your characterization of this board "as a bunch of white people" is offensive and I want you removed from this board. No questions, no examination of intent or context. And why? Because you or anybody else has no place in deciding what offends me and what does not? It is an abandonment of logic and reason, but I guess that is where we are today.

This thread is a good example of why he got temporarily suspended.
Well done! You've shown why it needed to happen.

Well like it or not objective reality is important.

By your subjective reality standard, I could say that your characterization of this board "as a bunch of white people" is offensive and I want you removed from this board. No questions, no examination of intent or context. And why? Because you or anybody else has no place in deciding what offends me and what does not? It is an abandonment of logic and reason, but I guess that is where we are today.
You know, the objectively offensive things that I have been instructed patiently to laugh off in any setting you want to name are legion. There's no mistaking that this board is an outpost of white older males. And you apparently think that should be normative.

This thread is a good example of why he got temporarily suspended.
Well done! You've shown why it needed to happen.

For calling a guy having a great game a beast(King Kong)

Actually, you might be an example why we are so screwed up.

Top Bottom