Iowa announcer suspended for season for referring to Bruno Fernando as King Kong

Most people here know I am a woman.
Men in my experience are very slow to recognize the use of language to garner control. I have heard my whole life that not liking to be called a girl is being over sensitive or rejecting girls, or failing to see a compliment! When, in fact, calling a mature woman a girl in any setting is about diminishing standing.

Continuing to call women girls and then self-correcting was a very common passive aggressive response in my earlier work life experience. ‘Good morning girls, oh, I mean ladies...’ If the men in the organization hadn’t been so busy telling us we were over-sensitive they would have seen the other problems with this man much earlier saving us all a lot of trouble. But men my age and older will still roll their eyes and comment if I ask not to be called a girl.

The affect of gender bias on my paycheck, and on other women’s paychecks is testament to how diminishing the status of women has real consequences that are not related to so-called 'over-sensitivity' or 'hurt feelings'. In fact, the assumption that it is about hurt feelings is itself bias and yet another diminishment of the person.

So many here are responding from a over-personalized place of their own fears of making a mistake and getting punished - and this fear has driven lots policies made mostly by fearful men. Add to this a history of dehumanizing blacks and this is so obvious problematic. Why are some of you acting as if responding to this undermines people's independence??

It’s really so simple. This guy calling Bruno King Kong when it’s his job not to do so, is his mistake, and it’s the tip of the iceberg regarding his other work related issues, which it usually is. I doubt any of you would call a mature woman a girl in a work setting, but you might very well fail to recognize the real problem with it, and that’s what’s happening here. You want standards of excellence and performance on the court and in coaching - why shouldn’t you hold him to higher standards than guys you watch the game with?

Men in my experience are very slow to recognize the use of language to garner control. I have heard my whole life that not liking to be called a girl is being over sensitive or rejecting girls, or failing to see a compliment! When, in fact, calling a mature woman a girl in any setting is about diminishing standing.

Continuing to call women girls and then self-correcting was a very common passive aggressive response in my earlier work life experience. ‘Good morning girls, oh, I mean ladies...’ If the men in the organization hadn’t been so busy telling us we were over-sensitive they would have seen the other problems with this man much earlier saving us all a lot of trouble. But men my age and older will still roll their eyes and comment if I ask not to be called a girl.

The affect of gender bias on my paycheck, and on other women’s paychecks is testament to how diminishing the status of women has real consequences that are not related to so-called 'over-sensitivity' or 'hurt feelings'. In fact, the assumption that it is about hurt feelings is itself bias and yet another diminishment of the person.

So many here are responding from a over-personalized place of their own fears of making a mistake and getting punished - and this fear has driven lots policies made mostly by fearful men. Add to this a history of dehumanizing blacks and this is so obvious problematic. Why are some of you acting as if responding to this undermines people's independence??

It’s really so simple. This guy calling Bruno King Kong when it’s his job not to do so, is his mistake, and it’s the tip of the iceberg regarding his other work related issues, which it usually is. I doubt any of you would call a mature woman a girl in a work setting, but you might very well fail to recognize the real problem with it, and that’s what’s happening here. You want standards of excellence and performance on the court and in coaching - why shouldn’t you hold him to higher standards than guys you watch the game with?

There is no impact of gender bias on your paycheck. It's a myth.

If someone calls you a "girl", it's dismissive. Bruno was given a compliment that described his style of play. There is no parallel.

As far as holding him to a high standard, we should. We shouldn't make-up offenses.

13 pages. Damn. I thought this was a sports chat board. I wonder if the OP was looking for this type of reaction. My two cents since this is a free country. Racism has been around since the dawn of man. It wont go away. We think we are civilized, but how do you even begin to define what that means in a manner that is universally accepted. Because after all, we all wish that everyone could just get along. Worry about what you can control, if you want to change something, get into politics or do it thru some other means. I just want to come here to read about how P.O'd fellow gopher fans are that IW sucks or isnt getting enough play time and that we have a super talented roster but Pitino might be in over his head in regards to coaching to his players strengths. Also love football. For the first time since only baby jesus knows how long, i'm excited about our football team and that they are going in the right direction.

Below is a link to an article looking at a study that said we could be racist as babies, but there are reasons why. Crazy world, at least it's not boring.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/science-racism-racial-bias-1.4074603

There is no impact of gender bias on your paycheck. It's a myth.

If someone calls you a "girl", it's dismissive. Bruno was given a compliment that described his style of play. There is no parallel.

As far as holding him to a high standard, we should. We shouldn't make-up offenses.

You don't get to decide what I'm allowed to be offended by. If a woman is at work and is called "sweetie" or "girl" and she is offended, then try not calling someone out of their name. If I'm at work and someone says I'm excited as an ape eating a banana, I will be offended and have every right to be so. How about we not call people out of their names? Let's start there.

I understand that your post was aimed at men, but I hear many grown women refer to one another as girls, as in "Hey, girl, how you doin'." Do you consider that to be demeaning? Because if something is really that offensive, then it should apply to everyone.

Literally, everything in this world can be considered offensive to some people on some level, so there is lots of subjectivity and very little objectivity in this area. What really matters is how Bruno felt about the commentary, and we will never know because any response from him at this point could have been influenced by others' perspectives on the matter.

Commentators are supposed to add life to their broadcasts. I guess the safest thing to do would be to have a robot announce the basics (player name, number, made baskets, fouls) with no extra commentary, and even that would offend some people.

You don't get to decide what I'm allowed to be offended by. If a woman is at work and is called "sweetie" or "girl" and she is offended, then try not calling someone out of their name. If I'm at work and someone says I'm excited as an ape eating a banana, I will be offended and have every right to be so. How about we not call people out of their names? Let's start there.

Well sure, you can be offended by anything you want to be offended by. I was obviously talking about the intent of the person making the statement. You don't get to decide the intent of that person.

The Iowa announcer's clear intent was as a compliment to Bruno. But you're right, you have the right to be offended by anything you want. So feel free to be offended by compliments given to other people, you have every right to do so.

As far only calling people by their names, well, what's yours? I'll call you by it. I wouldn't want to refer to you as KyGopherfan. We should also make sure announcers stop using nicknames all together. We shouldn't use phrases like "he hit like a Mack truck", I mean Mack trucks don't have brains or souls.

Well I am black (I don't require someone else to label me as such as I know who I am) and I am offended by the King Kong reference. Calling black men out of their names has been a sign of disrespect for centuries in this country. I'm not claiming that the announcer is some Klan member or anything, but he should be suspended and apologize as there is a nasty history in this country of blacks being called monkey, apes, and gorillas out of pure racism. As I've stated before, would he have called a similar white player King Kong? No, of course not.

What the hell does this have to do with voter ID? There are poor people who can't afford an ID. They can be black or white. If the state requires a photo ID to vote, then they should provide them for free. Being poor shouldn't prohibit you from voting. I'm not sure why you're conflating these issues.

Never said having to pay for it but you sure as hell can be taught how to get one. White athletes have been called King Kong, as a compliment. What if the announcer was using it as a strength and size reference only ! He has to pay for something a actual bigot said years ago. I want all humans to move forward and not associate what may be a compliment to some hurtful thing from the past. Your entitled to your feelings, i am entitled mine.

Right. I find the resistance to be pretty telling.
Plus, maybe a white guy would not be as diminished by being call King Kong because white people havent been dehumanized for the last few centuries.

Now this Bob guy can accept that it's dissmisive - but that's a change in attitude because for at least 20 years of my life I was called over-sensitive for calling it such. We all wait for the normative to decide what is normative.
Consider that its been so acceptable to discriminate against a woman regarding pay that EVERY professional woman I know has been told she's getting less/missing a promotion for being a woman. The guys need it more. But its not just in the past. Goldman Sachs class action is a current case in point.

I understand that your post was aimed at men, but I hear many grown women refer to one another as girls, as in "Hey, girl, how you doin'." Do you consider that to be demeaning? Because if something is really that offensive, then it should apply to everyone.
Seriously? Do you really need this explained?
This is always a comment between close female friends in or about a casual setting. Not appropriate for my boss to say, "hey girl, how's the project goin'"
You might call your wife 'Babe' - if she's not offended, shouldnt that apply to everyone? Of course not.

Well sure, you can be offended by anything you want to be offended by. I was obviously talking about the intent of the person making the statement. You don't get to decide the intent of that person.

The Iowa announcer's clear intent was as a compliment to Bruno. But you're right, you have the right to be offended by anything you want. So feel free to be offended by compliments given to other people, you have every right to do so.

As far only calling people by their names, well, what's yours? I'll call you by it. I wouldn't want to refer to you as KyGopherfan. We should also make sure announcers stop using nicknames all together. We shouldn't use phrases like "he hit like a Mack truck", I mean Mack trucks don't have brains or souls.

How do you know the intent of the Iowa announcer? He is a Big Ten announcer. He should be able to choose words that are not offensive. Again calling an African American or someone of African descent something that has been used in a derogatory way is not okay.
What are you taking about in an earlier post regarding there not being a gender pay gap in response to Moonlight’s post? I wouldn’t think that this is something that is up for debate on a college sports message board.
Or maybe you were being sarcastic in your reply to Moonlight?

https://www.bustle.com/p/11-gender-wage-gap-statistics-that-will-scare-the-crap-out-of-you-8702089

Never said having to pay for it but you sure as hell can be taught how to get one. White athletes have been called King Kong, as a compliment. What if the announcer was using it as a strength and size reference only ! He has to pay for something a actual bigot said years ago. I want all humans to move forward and not associate what may be a compliment to some hurtful thing from the past. Your entitled to your feelings, i am entitled mine.
Hey, good job in convincing a bunch of white guys that a sorta often-mistaken-for-a-black guy thinks they're good with their language and prejudice. Many of my highly privileged Indian male friends have a big chip about black people. Not saying that's you - I've just observed it.

Seriously? Do you really need this explained?
This is always a comment between close female friends in or about a casual setting. Not appropriate for my boss to say, "hey girl, how's the project goin'"
You might call your wife 'Babe' - if she's not offended, shouldnt that apply to everyone? Of course not.

So you think there are different standards for different people, then...I got it.

How do you know the intent of the Iowa announcer? He is a Big Ten announcer. He should be able to choose words that are not offensive. Again calling an African American or someone of African descent something that has been used in a derogatory way is not okay.
What are you taking about in an earlier post regarding there not being a gender pay gap in response to Moonlight’s post? I wouldn’t think that this is something that is up for debate on a college sports message board.

https://www.bustle.com/p/11-gender-wage-gap-statistics-that-will-scare-the-crap-out-of-you-8702089

King Kong is a fictional character known for strength and destruction.

That's what the maryland player was. Nothing more and nothing less.

Dolphin said nothing racist except for the voices in some of your heads.

If I’m not mistaken, King Kong had a penchant for blonde haired white women.

Wow. Are you an economist? How are you so sure gender bias is a myth?

King Kong is a fictional character known for strength and destruction.

That's what the maryland player was. Nothing more and nothing less.

Dolphin said nothing racist except for the voices in some of your heads.
I’m glad it’s settled then. You can decide what’s offensive and what’s not. Carry on

I’m glad it’s settled then. You can decide what’s offensive and what’s not. Carry on

Oh please, don't let me decide, you decide for me. The below is clearly racist! How I did not see it is beyond me. Obviously you are right on the racism of it. People like you who can see racism when it isn't there is merely a gift you were given that I must bow down too and admire. You were blessed to be given that skill, sir!

In describing the loss in the postgame:

"Twelve threes on 22 made baskets. That’s some pretty good long-range shooting," Dolphin said. "And then Fernando was King Kong at the end of the game."

Color commentator Bobby Hansen replied, "Yeah, he was. And they had done a really good job, Gary, for the most part rebounding."

Last edited:

Good post and much needed perspective. Gopherhole is heavily skewed old, male, and white so most people here are not speaking from a place of understanding or empathy.

The announcer could have called him Godzilla, the hulk, any number of things. What he can't do is call a young African man a gorilla, which is what he did even if he didn't mean it that way. I don't think he should lose his job over it but it was a horrendously bad choice of words for someone who is literally just paid (a lot) to talk.

Good post and much needed perspective. Gopherhole is heavily skewed old, male, and white so most people here are not speaking from a place of understanding or empathy.

The announcer could have called him Godzilla, the hulk, any number of things. What he can't do is call a young African man a gorilla, which is what he did even if he didn't mean it that way. I don't think he should lose his job over it but it was a horrendously bad choice of words for someone who is literally just paid (a lot) to talk.

Why shouldn't he lose his job over it? He's a racist!

Oh please, don't let me decide, you decide for me. The below is clearly racist! How I did not see it is beyond me. Obviously you are right on the racism of it. People like you who can see racism when isn't there is merely a gift you were given that I must bow down too and admire. You were blessed to be given that skill, sir!

In describing the loss in the postgame:

"Twelve threes on 22 made baskets. That’s some pretty good long-range shooting," Dolphin said. "And then Fernando was King Kong at the end of the game."

Color commentator Bobby Hansen replied, "Yeah, he was. And they had done a really good job, Gary, for the most part rebounding."

Yep that is not okay. Sports broadcasting is a really tough business to get into, and apparently the company that owns the rights to broadcast Hawkeye b-ball agree that it’s not an acceptable comparison even if it was intended as a compliment.

You seem like nice girl. However, if you keep hanging around with old white men( Gopherhole, as we have learned), folks may get the wrong impression.

Yep that is not okay. Sports broadcasting is a really tough business to get into, and apparently the company that owns the rights to broadcast Hawkeye b-ball agree that it’s not an acceptable comparison even if it was intended as a compliment.

I doubt the company has a problem with it. They have to give in to it though do to the out of control sensitivity.

Some nut job is going to complain so they had to.

Hey, good job in convincing a bunch of white guys that a sorta often-mistaken-for-a-black guy thinks they're good with their language and prejudice. Many of my highly privileged Indian male friends have a big chip about black people. Not saying that's you - I've just observed it.

Do you think that some people might find that offensive? Just wondering...

Well if you're fine with a white guy calling you monkey, gorilla, ape, and maybe banana throwing at you, then please proceed. As long as there's no mal intent, then that should be okay in your book. Well it's not okay in my book. I wouldn't want to be on a job and some dude called me a monkey and put a banana on my desk and then said it was just a joke. According to you, that's totally find as long as there's not bad intent. With me, he wouldn't have any teeth. That announcer was a professional and should've known better...period.

Well if you're fine with a white guy calling you monkey, gorilla, ape, and maybe banana throwing at you, then please proceed. As long as there's no mal intent, then that should be okay in your book. Well it's not okay in my book. I wouldn't want to be on a job and some dude called me a monkey and put a banana on my desk and then said it was just a joke. According to you, that's totally find as long as there's not bad intent. With me, he wouldn't have any teeth. That announcer was a professional and should've known better...period.

Kygopher, the mind reader, is saying the announcer called him a monkey, gorilla, or ape.

Keep seeing what isn't there. Who am I to wreck your cherished delusions?

Do you think that some people might find that offensive? Just wondering...
Yes.
But the idea that a minority who is sometimes mistaken for a black man can speak at length and authoritatively about the black experience and problems in the black community was so full of errors I didn't have time or energy to prepare a brief.
If he objects, I'll withdraw the comment.

You seem like nice girl. However, if you keep hanging around with old white men( Gopherhole, as we have learned), folks may get the wrong impression.
Thank you for demonstrating the response I am used to.
Gonna call the black dude a boy and see how that goes?

Yes.
But the idea that a minority who is sometimes mistaken for a black man can speak at length and authoritatively about the black experience and problems in the black community was so full of errors I didn't have time or energy to prepare a brief.
If he objects, I'll withdraw the comment.

Good answer. BTW, I have stated that I didn't think the announcer should have used the words he used regardless of intent. I also don't think his intent was to be racist or offensive. But I can't understand what that comment would mean to me if I was a black man either.

2 minutes of research would show you the wage gap is nonexistent. Even by liberal sources.

Top Bottom