Iowa announcer suspended for season for referring to Bruno Fernando as King Kong

You know, the objectively offensive things that I have been instructed patiently to laugh off in any setting you want to name are legion. There's no mistaking that this board is an outpost of white older males. And you apparently think that should be normative.

It's a free board. Anyone can post.

Are you an old white male?

White supremacists marching in Virginia and both local and national government treating them with kid gloves.

Is that illegal? I think it's abhorrent, but is it illegal.? What can anyone do about a white supremacist other than shout them down and move on to the next story?

I think killing babies in the womb is abhorrent, but I'm supposed to shut up about it.

I'm always confused what is ok and what is not.

Last edited:

It’s the same thing referring to your kids as monkeys. Everyone says “oh the kids are being monkeys.” You can’t say anything in today’s society without it being taken out of context. Man I miss the 80’s and early 90’s.

Yep, I grew up in the 80's and everybody called their kids "little monkeys." I still do now. (They are white).

Howard Cosell got in trouble for saying something like "look at that little monkey go," referring to a small, quick WR (who was black) in a football telecast. Admittedly it was an odd thing to say in the context, but calling somebody a "little monkey" was common and usually not related to race.

Edit:

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/howard-cosell-racist-comment/81864777/

Last edited:

This thread is a good example of why he got temporarily suspended.
Well done! You've shown why it needed to happen.

I always try to assess whether something is unintentional/accidental or malicious. Even if accidental there should be some action taken because you want your staff to be more careful, and you don't want your audience (customers) to be hurt. That said, wouldn't a reprimand in that situation be more fair?

Do you think there was malice in the statement?

For calling a guy having a great game a beast(King Kong)

Actually, you might be an example why we are so screwed up.
I'm really enjoying what you've done here. You've corrected him in your head. You do realize that he didnt call him a beast, don't you? Or have you wandered completely into your own version of the story?
He called him 'King Kong' and he was already in trouble with his bosses.

Well like it or not objective reality is important.

By your subjective reality standard, I could say that your characterization of this board "as a bunch of white people" is offensive and I want you removed from this board. No questions, no examination of intent or context. And why? Because you or anybody else has no place in deciding what offends me and what does not? It is an abandonment of logic and reason, but I guess that is where we are today.

+1

I'm really enjoying what you've done here. You've corrected him in your head. You do realize that he didnt call him a beast, don't you? Or have you wandered completely into your own version of the story?
He called him 'King Kong' and he was already in trouble with his bosses.

When I think of King Kong, I think of a beast and someone being destructive.........as this basketball player was on the court. Any rational person would.

So yes, I'm trying to correct him.

In my defense though, I have not taken very much PC training or courses.

If you or he want to see something that's not there in the name of racism...........knock yourself out. I'm just completely bored with this schit.

Last edited:

I always try to assess whether something is unintentional/accidental or malicious. Even if accidental there should be some action taken because you want your staff to be more careful, and you don't want your audience (customers) to be hurt. That said, wouldn't a reprimand in that situation be more fair?

He was already in hot water for other things. Read the article.
Remember when Joe Angel got fired for laughing through the 'highlights' of the game during a particularly horrible stretch?

And no, I dont think you can just consider if malice is involved. Bias isn't conscious, and it takes a bump of some kind to anyone's attention, but esp. to get an old white guys attention to his.

If Jordan Murphy was putting up big numbers and putting it to another team, and you heard the announcer from either team call him King Kong................would you seriously be thinking race or that he is playing like King Kong?

I mean seriously?

Is that illegal? I think it's abhorrent, but is it illegal.? What can anyone do about a white supremacist other than shout them down and move on to the next story?

I think killing babies in the womb is abhorrent, but I'm supposed to shut up about it.

I'm always confused what is ok and what is not.

Look, if you don't like the victimization mentality (understandable enough), you shouldn't practice it yourself. The anti-abortion forces hardly have been shrinking violets throughout their history. You don't have to shut up about anything but if you espouse views that have enormous opposition you shouldn't expect everyone to smile and nod their heads.

Remember when Joe Angel got fired for laughing through the 'highlights' of the game during a particularly horrible stretch?

And no, I dont think you can just consider if malice is involved. Bias isn't conscious, and it takes a bump of some kind to anyone's attention, but esp. to get an old white guys attention to his.

Old white guys is the new line on television.

Stop watching those channels. You didn't come up with that on your own. The TV people are shaping your mind.

You weren't saying old whites guys two years ago. That phrase for everything wrong in the world wasn't being used yet.

If Jordan Murphy was putting up big numbers and putting it to another team, and you heard the announcer from either team call him King Kong................would you seriously be thinking race or that he is playing like King Kong?

I mean seriously?

I would be thinking that he was playing like King Kong but I don't get to dictate that others have to follow my perspectives. I think this is a primary fault with reactionary thinkers. "If I think it's OK, then it must be OK."

Look, if you don't like the victimization mentality (understandable enough), you shouldn't practice it yourself. The anti-abortion forces hardly have been shrinking violets throughout their history. You don't have to shut up about anything but if you espouse views that have enormous opposition you shouldn't expect everyone to smile and nod their heads.

I'm using that exact same logic for the iowa announcer and being called an angry old white man.

bwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwah

Are you going to come to my defense?

I would be thinking that he was playing like King Kong but I don't get to dictate that others have to follow my perspectives. I think this is a primary fault with reactionary thinkers. "If I think it's OK, then it must be OK."

Well you had better follow those perspectives or you are purely an old, angry, white male.

Are you?

Of course there are racial overtones to his comment. If he wanted to call him a beast, maybe he should have said he is a beast. Hopefully he learns something from this and maybe others can too. Rather than be dismissive and just assume people are being sensitive maybe ask more questions about why it is so offensive. There is a lot to his comment regardless of his intent. I’m actually really glad that Iowa is addressing it. Maybe the consequences are harsh? But also, the rest of the year may be one or two games.

Last edited:

Well you had better follow those perspectives or you are purely an old, angry, white male.

Are you?

Yes, if you've been following my posts on this site, you justifiably could conclude that I'm an "old, angry, white male" and that suits me just fine. But, I have my own set of targets for fury and they may not coincide exactly with yours.

So you can call a guy a beast, just not a specific beast like King Kong or Mighty Joe Young or Godzilla or Rodan. Gotcha.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm guilty of not reading the article. Considering this isn't the first time something like this has happened, then it's a pattern of insensitivity, which you can't have from a public figure like him.

Old white guys is the new line on television.

Stop watching those channels. You didn't come up with that on your own. The TV people are shaping your mind.

You weren't saying old whites guys two years ago. That phrase for everything wrong in the world wasn't being used yet.
You know, I live with a really wonderful old white guy, who understands he was raised with a problematic way of looking at the world in a way that he has to adjust. So, I asked him what he thought of this, and his response was a laugh, and 'Well, you just cant say that. He should know that.'
Not sure why this is so upsetting to some of you.

Well beast is a normal part of the language that is used. Isn’t it?

So you can call a guy a beast, just not a specific beast like King Kong or Mighty Joe Young or Godzilla or Rodan. Gotcha.

Well, if someone called me King Kong on the athletic field............I'd be pissed off!

You know, I live with a really wonderful old white guy, who understands he was raised with a problematic way of looking at the world in a way that he has to adjust. So, I asked him what he thought of this, and his response was a laugh, and 'Well, you just cant say that. He should know that.'

I'm questioning why a guy being complimenting someone's play is in the wrong and in hot water.

Here's a guy going to be shamed and lose paychecks for saying a guy plays like King Kong.

As I said earlier, I'm surrounded by stupidity, and expect it, but still.

I'm just bored with all the made up racist stuff. It's 200 times a day.

Last edited:

Well, if someone called me King Kong on the athletic field............I'd be pissed off!
So you're not a wrestler or an offensive lineman.

What reshaped his mind?

Yes, if you've been following my posts on this site, you justifiably could conclude that I'm an "old, angry, white male" and that suits me just fine. But, I have my own set of targets for fury and they may not coincide exactly with yours.

Well, apparently a radio announcer complimenting a players dominant play is one of yours.

What reshaped his mind?
Thanks for the ask
1) He's an independent contractor so had to be open to working with all kinds of people to make a living - and has little investment in the power structure.
2) Living in a diverse neighborhood and having a wide circle
3) A very good heart - he actually cares if his words are problematic and listens - doesn't take it personally (tries anyway - we all struggle)
4) Raising two step-sons who understand he came by his views honestly and they LISTEN to each other

I really do understand that it is hard to have to change and to see that while we might not have malice, damage may still be done. I get very embarrassed and often feel defensive when I screw up on the racial front. I hope we can get to a better place about not shaming people because that doesnt motivate change - just makes people more defensive.

Top Bottom