Coaching Candidates

I just want to point out that no anti-Pitino fan posted 5 hours after the big win, yet if we lost tonight this thread would have been flooded with negative comments... just saying that you anti-Pitino fans are wack and have fun rooting against "your favorite team" going forward

I would love to look back one day and say that last night's game was the turning point for Richard. That the game that put them in the NCAA and saved his job, also catapulted the Gophers to years of success, great recruits, sell-out crowds, etc. Time will tell.

I just want to point out that no anti-Pitino fan posted 5 hours after the big win, yet if we lost tonight this thread would have been flooded with negative comments... just saying that you anti-Pitino fans are wack and have fun rooting against "your favorite team" going forward

I'm anti-pitino and never post after a win.

I've been called out for doing by some of yours for cheering for them to lose after the win so why post.

By the way, before you go nuts, I WAS AT THE GAME LAST NIGHT CHEERING FOR THE GOPHERS!

Also, if this was all it takes for Pitino, well, good luck with that. It changes little. Where were the pro-pitino guys the past few games? You can play that game all day. I didn't see you much the past few games either talking up coach. Where were you?

I would love to look back one day and say that last night's game was the turning point for Richard. That the game that put them in the NCAA and saved his job, also catapulted the Gophers to years of success, great recruits, sell-out crowds, etc. Time will tell.

I hope your right. But after seeing those last 2 inbounds plays, we gopher fans will have some heartbreak coming unless Richard gets better at coaching.

Performances like this reinforce what people like builtbadgers have been saying: this team has talent and arguably should be an upper division team. More refinement, consistency, etc., and they contend for the double bye. That's not a pipe dream.

It really boils down to this: if our starters play well, we can win almost any game. That doesn’t always happen. We’ve seen how bad this team can look when the shots aren’t going down.

If we start peaking at the right time, look out!

A solid end to the season, and would say Pitino is safe.

Performances like this reinforce what people like builtbadgers have been saying: this team has talent and arguably should be an upper division team. More refinement, consistency, etc., and they contend for the double bye. That's not a pipe dream.

I'm just not convinced that Pitino can X and O with the top of the conference. I agree that the talent is there, but if not for the individual efforts of Coffey and Murphy at times, there would be not question of Pitino's fate. Not sure he is safe without a NCAA tournament win.

I like Pitino and want nothing but the best for him and the Gophers.

Pitino should be replaced. A good coach would get more out of this team.

Honestly, I expect Pitino to leave for a lateral or better job if we make the Big Dance. He doesn't have a lot of leash left here, even if he keeps his job. A new position would basically guarantee a big income for him for another 4 years. A bad year here next year and he's probably fired.

Hardly anyone posted to this thread period after the game.

I am both critical of how poorly he built the foundation, the lack of identity that any good basketball mind understands and the off the court trouble. Also quick to praise when he improves the staff or the team maxes out defensive effort. Never cheer for us to lose or him to fail . It is a message board, not everyone has to agree that he has been or ever will be a great coach. I do not over react to a win or loss, i look for overall body of work. We all have different standards of what we think are good or great.

This x1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm anti-pitino and never post after a win.

I've been called out for doing by some of yours for cheering for them to lose after the win so why post.

By the way, before you go nuts, I WAS AT THE GAME LAST NIGHT CHEERING FOR THE GOPHERS!

Also, if this was all it takes for Pitino, well, good luck with that. It changes little. Where were the pro-pitino guys the past few games? You can play that game all day. I didn't see you much the past few games either talking up coach. Where were you?

It gets to be pointless to try and argue the exact same points over and over with you guys that are so obsessed with getting rid of Pitino that you won’t acknowledge any of his positive points. You guys get in your echo chamber add just bah like sheep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino should be replaced. A good coach would get more out of this team.

Honestly, I expect Pitino to leave for a lateral or better job if we make the Big Dance. He doesn't have a lot of leash left here, even if he keeps his job. A new position would basically guarantee a big income for him for another 4 years. A bad year here next year and he's probably fired.

I have to admit that I thought Pitino did a better coaching job than Painter last night and that's saying something because I have a lot of respect for Painter. Having said that, this game isn't enough to change my mind about the long-term prospects of Pitino as the coach.

You brought up a fascinating possibility. What you described is similar to the way Steve Alford parted with Iowa only one year removed from a great season with a bad ending (losing the opening game as a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament). The team had a mediocre year in his final season and I believe the AD was non-committal about an extension. Alford decided to move to New Mexico before his seat became hotter. I guess it's not impossible that the better we do, the more likely we are to lose Pitino.

I am both critical of how poorly he built the foundation, the lack of identity that any good basketball mind understands and the off the court trouble. Also quick to praise when he improves the staff or the team maxes out defensive effort. Never cheer for us to lose or him to fail . It is a message board, not everyone has to agree that he has been or ever will be a great coach. I do not over react to a win or loss, i look for overall body of work. We all have different standards of what we think are good or great.

Contrary to your own beliefs, your standards are not any different nor is your insight infallible.

Just as an exercise, can you list any positive things about Pitino and what he does right or has accomplished?

It gets to be pointless to try and argue the exact same points over and over with you guys that are so obsessed with getting rid of Pitino that you won’t acknowledge any of his positive points. You guys get in your echo chamber add just bah like sheep.

You either unintentionally misinterpret people's motivations, or you're just fantasizing about a bloodlust that doesn't exist. People want the program to reach its potential. These are Gopher fans who may like Richard (I absolutely love the guy) but simply don't think he's the coach to get us where we think we can get. My primary allegiance is to my alma mater, not to one employee. To demonize people and their opinions gets us nowhere.

Pointless is the nonsense some of you make up and convince yourself of its truth. No one is obsessed with getting rid of Pitino.

There is a body of work that is 6 years running that can be looked at. This body of work includes a vast majority of some really bad basketball. One nice win doesn't change that fact.

Last edited:

You either unintentionally misinterpret people's motivations, or you're just fantasizing about a bloodlust that doesn't exist. People want the program to reach its potential. These are Gopher fans who may like Richard (I absolutely love the guy) but simply don't think he's the coach to get us where we think we can get. My primary allegiance is to my alma mater, not to one employee. To demonize people and their opinions gets us nowhere.

Very well put! I couldn't have said it better myself, and you articulated my thoughts perfectly.

I love Pitino as a guy, and I want nothing more than for him to take the team to new heights. You can just see some of his shortcomings as a coach, especially on the offensive side, when we play upper-level teams like Purdue. Purdue had an incredible amount of off-ball screens and obviously set plays that freed up their shooters. Of course it's a different team with different talent. I just never see that with our offense, and it hurts when someone isn't getting hot. Off-ball movement is often lackadaisical and it does little to open up plays.

I have to admit that I thought Pitino did a better coaching job than Painter last night and that's saying something because I have a lot of respect for Painter. Having said that, this game isn't enough to change my mind about the long-term prospects of Pitino as the coach.

You brought up a fascinating possibility. What you described is similar to the way Steve Alford parted with Iowa only one year removed from a great season with a bad ending (losing the opening game as a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament). The team had a mediocre year in his final season and I believe the AD was non-committal about an extension. Alford decided to move to New Mexico before his seat became hotter. I guess it's not impossible that the better we do, the more likely we are to lose Pitino.

Similar to Marlene last year, heard she wanted an extension after going to Tourney and it wasn’t gonna happen. Though I have a feeling MC likes RP a lot, I could see a scenario where another school makes an offer that MC can’t match or may not want to.

They played hard last night, there defense was good the whole night, play day in/out like that and yes I am a Pitino fan, a couple of games a season doesn't cut it, see how Friday goes, that will tell a lot about this team, they are still on the cutting line as far as I am concerned, they need another big win to guarantee they are in the tournament, I wouldn't want to leave it to chance.

Hmm. Take a look at your posts on the OT board.

With respect to the BB related items, I agree with the above. Love RP and at the same time just not convinced he can make MN top 4 in conference and consistently in ncaa.

Similar to Marlene last year, heard she wanted an extension after going to Tourney and it wasn’t gonna happen. Though I have a feeling MC likes RP a lot, I could see a scenario where another school makes an offer that MC can’t match or may not want to.

You think with his body of work that there are schools that will offer him a better deal ? I can assure you he is not highly thought of nationally.

You think with his body of work that there are schools that will offer him a better deal ? I can assure you he is not highly thought of nationally.

It only takes one. I think he'd jump at a new power 5 team if offered the chance.

They played hard last night, there defense was good the whole night, play day in/out like that and yes I am a Pitino fan, a couple of games a season doesn't cut it, see how Friday goes, that will tell a lot about this team, they are still on the cutting line as far as I am concerned, they need another big win to guarantee they are in the tournament, I wouldn't want to leave it to chance.

I'm with you on this. If this team consistently played as hard as they did last night, they would probably be 12-7 right now or so and nobody is talking about replacing the coach. It's bringing the effort every night, playing great defense and controlling the things you can control as a team that makes a coach look good or bad.

I'm just not convinced that Pitino can X and O with the top of the conference. I agree that the talent is there, but if not for the individual efforts of Coffey and Murphy at times, there would be not question of Pitino's fate. Not sure he is safe without a NCAA tournament win.

I like Pitino and want nothing but the best for him and the Gophers.
Amir Coffey has been a Jekyll and Hyde character this season. The team revolves around that. We don't have the depth to compensate for or adjust to the nights when Amir doesn't show up.
It is what it is. Who knows what the next game will bring. It's the enigma of being a Gopher men's basketball fan.

Contrary to your own beliefs, your standards are not any different nor is your insight infallible.

Just as an exercise, can you list any positive things about Pitino and what he does right or has accomplished?

Mine differ greatly from several posters who claim he has done a good job here, i do not. Positives-recruited Murphy, Coff, Oturu, hired Jeter. Got his team to play really good defense 5 times this year,started Gabe

It only takes one. I think he'd jump at a new power 5 team if offered the chance.

Not sure given the age of his kids. Just do not know of a single power 5 AD that is thinking they are upgrading when they look at that body of work.

So...he's in Greg Gard territory...[emoji41]

Pointless is the nonsense some of you make up and convince yourself of its truth. No one is obsessed with getting rid of Pitino.

There is a body of work that is 6 years running that can be looked at. This body of work includes a vast majority of some really bad basketball. One nice win doesn't change that fact.

If one nice win means going to the tournament then yes. It takes time to build a program. Last year was an outlier because of injuries but I expect Pitino to take us to the tourney every year moving forward.

So...he's in Greg Gard territory...[emoji41]

Greg will never leave UW for a different college job . Sure you know how fast he got to 40 conference wins. He is far more sought after than our guy.

Top Bottom