Coaching Candidates

Indiana has 0 national titles in 32 years and one Final Four appearance in the last 27. MSU has a championship and 7 Final Four appearances in that time frame.

Something we agree on! Indiana has lost its luster. Not above MSU, Michigan or even Purdue in my opinion. Unfortunately, the media still gives Indiana mad cred.

If Rutgers builds a new arena and can have some success, there is obviously a lot of local talent, that they can hope to get a taste.

If Rutgers builds a new arena and can have some success, there is obviously a lot of local talent, that they can hope to get a taste.

All the people I know from Jersey think of Rutgers as a second tier school. Most of them listed it as their fall back option when applying to schools. A new arena would have little impact there since you are a 30 min train ride from the Garden. Too many other options for entertainment.

No, offering first has nothing to do with where a kid goes, what it does indicate a level and ability to evaluate, a kid like Hurt is obvious, how about a kid like Wright, how hard was he recruited, does Pitino have that ability to search out talent that isn't as highly rated. Tre Williams seems to fit into that mold, not sure Pitino had anything to do with it though.

Wright was recruited plenty hard. Grades and admittance were going to be an issue and then IW committed first. Wright still had a choice to be here even after that. He said no. An offer isn't always indicative of talent evaluation either. Some guys throw out offers like they are candy and see who bites first. Others are more selective to offer until they know for sure the kid has genuine interest and they save them for showing where the recruit ranks as their priorities. Either way, most kids chose a place because it's one of the best offers they get, relationship with coaches, playing time, and if they feel they can get to the next level at that school. Pitino found Mason and Murph who were 3 star guys who turned out pretty good. Pre is another guy Pitino was on just like he was on Ahmad Gilbert and Konate too. Some are good and some are bad, the fact of the matter is, assistants need to find these kids and Pitino needs to make a decision.

People who say that don't remember the Judd Heathcote era. He was an excellent coach. But both he and Izzo only have one title in 20+ years.

I do remember Judd Heathcote, but, after that national championship in 1979, he had an extended dry spell that was interrupted only by the Scott Skiles led team in the mid-eighties. He didn't have anything close to the consistent success of Izzo.

I do remember Judd Heathcote, but, after that national championship in 1979, he had an extended dry spell that was interrupted only by the Scott Skiles led team in the mid-eighties. He didn't have anything close to the consistent success of Izzo.

I'm not old enough for that era, but from the mid/late 80's until he retired they were very good. They were a #1 seed with Steve Smith the year the Gophers made the Elite 8 in 1990.

Would Chris Beard leave Lubbock, or is that another pipedream

It freaks me out how fast we've gone from "How can Tubby lower himself to going to Lubbock?" to "How could we possibly lure Beard away from Lubbock?"

All the people I know from Jersey think of Rutgers as a second tier school. Most of them listed it as their fall back option when applying to schools. A new arena would have little impact there since you are a 30 min train ride from the Garden. Too many other options for entertainment.

All fine ... yet they beat us this year playing in a dump. A new arena can’t possibly hurt, and should help.

So what does that say for us?

It's all relative, when comparing to Princeton, Columbia, or Penn then yes it is second tier but Rutgers is very much the equal of other B1G schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin from an academic perspective.

It's all relative, when comparing to Princeton, Columbia, or Penn then yes it is second tier but Rutgers is very much the equal of other B1G schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin from an academic perspective.

Rutgers in the Big Ten has a much higher ceiling than the old Rutgers. The current coach seems to know what he is doing. Seton Hall plays at Devils "Iron Bound' Arena in resurgent Newark, but Rutgers is OK in the RAC.

They seem to be getting pretty good talent now and the coach seems solid. Rutgers may be rising, and worse case they build a new 12=15K BB only arena, like we should do (or move to Mariucci, Ok a joke, but our hockey arena has hosted BB and is better at that than many venues)

Last edited:

Rutgers in the Big Ten has a much higher ceiling than the old Rutgers. The current coach seems to know what he is doing. Seton Hall plays at Devils "Iron Bound' Arena in resurgent Newark, but Rutgers is OK in the RAC.

They seem to be getting pretty good talent now and the coach seems solid. Rutgers may be rising, and worse case they build a new 12=15K BB only arena, like we should do (or move to Mariucci, Ok a joke, but our hockey arena has hosted BB and is better at that than many venues)

I have always thought the U should tear down Williams and rebuild keeping the eastern entrance in tact. Build a state of the art arena on the same site with a little nostalgia worked into the design like a Camden yards type of facility.

I have always thought the U should tear down Williams and rebuild keeping the eastern entrance in tact. Build a state of the art arena on the same site with a little nostalgia worked into the design like a Camden yards type of facility.

It has been discussed but the money involved is huge and would require those Big Donors who give 500,000-2,000,000 to give much more. They need the superstar gift of 50 million from one person and 15 from another to get off to a great start. They could not even get that for the facility we have that is not paid for. Other places that built new got gigantic gifts that covered 80 % of the costs.

Would Chris Beard leave Lubbock, or is that another pipedream?

Current head coaches that would make sense (Minnesota connection). Niko Medved (Colorado State), Craig Smith (Utah State).

Mike Davis (Detroit Mercy). ... bring his son with him, try for immediate eligibility?

Current top assistant at major program? Dane Fife (Michigan State).

Beard loves Lubbock, think he is divorced and his kids live in the area and wants to be close to them. Doubt he leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been discussed but the money involved is huge and would require those Big Donors who give 500,000-2,000,000 to give much more. They need the superstar gift of 50 million from one person and 15 from another to get off to a great start. They could not even get that for the facility we have that is not paid for. Other places that built new got gigantic gifts that covered 80 % of the costs.

I believe you ... but do you have some examples off the top of your head?

Another key difference ... ours was a massive practice facility for all sports but also specifically for football and BB. But it’s still a practice facility, behind the scenes, not on TV, and few people other than staff and athletes see it or use it.

Would a new 12-15k arena be $150-200M to build, sometime in the coming decade? Probably a good guess, if they do it right. Need a combo of corporate sponsors and big donor gifts.

I believe you ... but do you have some examples off the top of your head?

Another key difference ... ours was a massive practice facility for all sports but also specifically for football and BB. But it’s still a practice facility, behind the scenes, not on TV, and few people other than staff and athletes see it or use it.

Would a new 12-15k arena be $150-200M to build, sometime in the coming decade? Probably a good guess, if they do it right. Need a combo of corporate sponsors and big donor gifts.

Continued renovations could be helpful as well. A new bball facility would be great, but not likely. I don't think its a deal breaker for kids if the other things are going well, but I'm saying it does nothing positive for them like many of us want to think.

Truthfully I don't know any alumni willing to do that unless Denny T. all of a sudden got on board (for the 50 million dollar donation), but he seems plenty fine supporting Augustana's move. It also would probably have to be a shared arena with the hockey teams to make it feasible. Pay to upkeep one building instead of two.

Continued renovations could be helpful as well. A new bball facility would be great, but not likely. I don't think its a deal breaker for kids if the other things are going well, but I'm saying it does nothing positive for them like many of us want to think.

Truthfully I don't know any alumni willing to do that unless Denny T. all of a sudden got on board (for the 50 million dollar donation), but he seems plenty fine supporting Augustana's move. It also would probably have to be a shared arena with the hockey teams to make it feasible. Pay to upkeep one building instead of two.

Well they upkeep two buildings now. I think hockey fans would want to keep hockey in a separate facility.

This talk of replacing/rebuilding Williams is hogwash. If the team starts winning more, it will again be a premier place for winter sports.

This talk of replacing/rebuilding Williams is hogwash. If the team starts winning more, it will again be a premier place for winter sports.

Upgrade it (like Northwestern did with Welsh-Ryan), but do not get rid of it. That's my 2 cents.

Upgrade it (like Northwestern did with Welsh-Ryan), but do not get rid of it. That's my 2 cents.

Yeah that would be great. Reduce attendance a bit and add more chairs. It would be a pity though to get rid of one of the last great historic college hoops venues in the country.

I prefer the Yankee Stadium treatment. Rebuild it but make it as similar as possible.

To us older folks who are nostalgic about it, yes it's premier. It won't be to younger generations. You are right though, if we win more, kids will come in spite of it, not ever because of it.

Correct, and I doubt it's efficient or cost effective.

If having it to do over from the beginning, then no probably not.

But hockey fans wanted the team out of the Pav, and raised the money to make it happen. It's done and built, so I don't think they'd want to play many games in a 12-15k arena that would be half-full, unless maybe if it was North Dakota or Wisconsin.

I would like to submit Richard Pitino as a coaching candidate for next season.

Top Bottom