Coaching Candidates

Only one thing with Medved, and this is probably a massive reach .... he took over Colorado State after coaching at lower level programs. That's pretty similar to Tim Miles, who went on to Nebraska, and has not had much luck there. Would Medved be more of the same in Minneapolis .... ?

I think he would take the job, but he's been a job hopper. One year at Drake. Now one year at CSU and leave for MN? Would not be a good look. Also, because of that, his resume is a bit short for comfort. But I think the current Furman team challenging for an at-large bid is mostly his guys?

Oats is from the upper midwest and would be going from a mid major to a high major. Why is that not realistic?

Also fits the MO of Coyle, reaching down to get Fleck from the MAC. Also I think he hired Dino Babers at Syracuse? Also from the MAC. Wonder if Coyle knew about Oats at Buffalo, back when he was at Syracuse?

maybe you didn't read what I posted right....I never said Oats was not realistic....

I think he would take the job, but he's been a job hopper. One year at Drake. Now one year at CSU and leave for MN? Would not be a good look. Also, because of that, his resume is a bit short for comfort. But I think the current Furman team challenging for an at-large bid is mostly his guys?

Agree w this. Don't have a problem with him. Just want to see more on the resume.

I get that we want to hire someone before they are a huge name, because we don't have the prestige/salary/etc of a Kentucky/UNC/Kansas type job. But that still seems like a bit of a reach. Plus, being that he is an alum with assistants who also have Minnesota connections I would think we would have a leg up if he did become a hot name.

I have no interest in Otzelberger or Nagy (who coaches at home where his dad was a legend anyway). TJ is struggling to win the Summit with one of the top 10 scorers in NCAA history, pass.

One thing to kind in mind also is Coyle's history. There was a push for Claeys to be fired, he had no problem doing that and getting the hot name in Fleck everyone wanted. Some AD's would have stuck with the institution that was Lucia, he moved on and got the big name most wanted in Motzko, and we lost our womens coach and he went out and go the homerun hire in Whalen. Now, will these coaches work? Only time will tell, but to me we clearly have an AD who sees a target and has no problem making that move and sealing the deal. That does lead me to have some optimism that a Hoiberg or Muss hire is not so far fetched.

Medved, Fife, Buzz, Hopkins

If it comes to this, and I hope it doesn't, Medved and Dane Fife are guys I'd take a look at.

Or could we pry Buzz Williams from Virginia Tech?

And Coyle probably knows Mike Hopkins pretty well from his time at Syracuse. Would Hopkins jump to a much better conference even though he's got it going pretty well at Washington?

Last edited:

<iframe width<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yp4Jig4nx9I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yp4Jig4nx9I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like this Oats guy.

I think he fits Coyle's MO. That is, if there is no obvious, home run candidate that he thinks he can get or try for first.

I have 4... read about one earlier in the thread and have added to the list.

1. Steve Wojciechowski
2. Mike Hopkins
3. Risky, but young - Nate Oats
4. Dave Smart

If we don't get a big name like these, I don't see any reason for the change. I think the one thing we have lacked is consistency. We currently have a coaching carousel and it is known by the local recruits.

1. Steve Wojciechowski
2. Mike Hopkins
4. Dave Smart

If we don't get a big name like these, I don't see any reason for the change. I think the one thing we have lacked is consistency. We currently have a coaching carousel and it is known by the local recruits.

I'm willing to bet Coyle isn't trying to waste his time with a phone call thats 10 seconds of him being laughed at and then hung up on.

I'm willing to bet Coyle isn't trying to waste his time with a phone call thats 10 seconds of him being laughed at and then hung up on.

Correct, the coaches some of the people on this board think we can get is hilarious.

Correct, the coaches some of the people on this board think we can get is hilarious.

These threads are always good for a laugh. So many listed are either ones who would have no interest in coaching here or we should have no interest in hiring to coach here.

If we're looking for a new coach this offseason (and I think/hope/pray we will be), the odds are extremely high that it will either be a seasoned veteran assistant at a high-major who has little/no head coaching experience at any level (i.e., not a retread) or a mid-major coach who is deemed ready for the next step - and it will likely be out of the latter group. If they don't fit into one of these buckets, feel free to speculate with laughable names, but know that they are laughable.

These threads are always good for a laugh. So many listed are either ones who would have no interest in coaching here or we should have no interest in hiring to coach here.

If we're looking for a new coach this offseason (and I think/hope/pray we will be), the odds are extremely high that it will either be a seasoned veteran assistant at a high-major who has little/no head coaching experience at any level (i.e., not a retread) or a mid-major coach who is deemed ready for the next step - and it will likely be out of the latter group. If they don't fit into one of these buckets, feel free to speculate with laughable names, but know that they are laughable.

Are you on the Oats train??

Dpo, also asked this of another poster, curious, of those mentioned who do you think is out of reach?

I think if we offer the right $$...

Coaches like money, but they prefer comfort, support, and the ability to win. If they feel they can grow and get better, then they will leave. The idea we would pull a high major head coach that is comfortable to MN is almost laughable. I don't think we'd be able to offer that amount of money. DPO is right on where our next one would come from. Either a high major asst., a young mid major (most likely), or I do think there might be a chance a former head coach who's done well in a non power five might be good (The Bill Billechek candidate, but most likely not an option as we don't touch those types.)

Those calls being made are part of due diligence and those conversations can bring valuable feedback on other candidates.

Dpo, also asked this of another poster, curious, of those mentioned who do you think is out of reach?

Bennett
Hopkins
Wojo
Cronin
Buzz

Those are the 5 most outrageous so far. None of them are even remotely possible.

Coaches like money, but they prefer comfort, support, and the ability to win. If they feel they can grow and get better, then they will leave. The idea we would pull a high major head coach that is comfortable to MN is almost laughable. I don't think we'd be able to offer that amount of money. DPO is right on where our next one would come from. Either a high major asst., a young mid major (most likely), or I do think there might be a chance a former head coach who's done well in a non power five might be good (The Bill Billechek candidate, but most likely not an option as we don't touch those types.)

I don't completely disagree.

Bennett
Hopkins
Wojo
Cronin
Buzz

Those are the 5 most outrageous so far. None of them are even remotely possible.

The only one I'd consider outrageous is Bennett.

Other than that nothing there looks totally insane to me. Obviously most of them would require a much larger financial commitment than we may be willing to make, but if Coyle decides that we can make that commitment then I hope he at least calls a couple of them. I don't think any of them (except Bennett) would just hang up the phone if the opening line was "How would you like to be paid a top 15 salary for the next 7 years?"

We've discussed plenty that would fall into the "more realistic" category, and a few that would fall into the "backup plan" category. What's wrong with discussing a few in the "shoot for the moon" category?

If it comes to this, and I hope it doesn't, Medved and Dane Fife are guys I'd take a look at.

Or could we pry Buzz Williams from Virginia Tech?

And Coyle probably knows Mike Hopkins pretty well from his time at Syracuse. Would Hopkins jump to a much better conference even though he's got it going pretty well at Washington?

Doubtful but if we could that would be amazing. I'd easily take Williams over pretty much anyone including Muss. I think a defensive minded coach is exactly what we need at the Barn.

No chance on Cronin coming here. Zero. He coaches great defense though. The intensity he makes his guys play with is amazing.

I have a buddy who is Mick Cronin's brother in law, we talked yesterday. There is no chance he would ever leave Cincinnati to come here.

1. Steve Wojciechowski
2. Mike Hopkins
4. Dave Smart

Agree. I dont want to make a change for change's sake. Certainly a chance that coaches we are interested in are not interested in us. If so, stay the course. I trust Coyle to make the right decision.

Agree. I dont want to make a change for change's sake. Certainly a chance that coaches we are interested in are not interested in us. If so, stay the course. I trust Coyle to make the right decision.

Again, it wouldn't be change for change's sake. Pitino has earned a termination and then some.

The only one I'd consider outrageous is Bennett.

Other than that nothing there looks totally insane to me. Obviously most of them would require a much larger financial commitment than we may be willing to make, but if Coyle decides that we can make that commitment then I hope he at least calls a couple of them. I don't think any of them (except Bennett) would just hang up the phone if the opening line was "How would you like to be paid a top 15 salary for the next 7 years?"

We've discussed plenty that would fall into the "more realistic" category, and a few that would fall into the "backup plan" category. What's wrong with discussing a few in the "shoot for the moon" category?

High major coaches don't leave for lateral jobs unless there discontent with admin (Martin to SC or Buzz to VT) or they are about to be fired. Mick loves Cinci, Buzz is happy at VT, and Wojos next job is Duke. They are beyond shoot for the moon. Hopkins from what I've heard also has no issues with admin and certainly isn't close to being fired, so I'd really see no scenario that'd make him leave. He hung at Syracuse for as long as he did and is paid well, so I doubt more money would entice him, so I'd put him above it too. Built is right that you make a call. Coaches share opinions of other coaches during those calls while politely declining any interest.

The reality of college basketball over the last decade or so is that coaches don't leave for non Blue Bloods. That's not a Minnesota thing, it's a college basketball thing. Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for Virginia Tech is an outlier. Florida replaced Billy Donovan with Mike White who was a successful head coach at Louisiana Tech, but never went to the NCAA tournament. That's Florida. Marquette hired a Duke assistant in Woj to replace Buzz. Wisconsin went internal to replace Bo. Iowa State hire Steve Prohm from Murray State to replace Hoiberg. Prohm hadn't been to an NCAA tournament in 3 years when he got the job. Iowa hired Fran McCaffery from Siena after an unsuccessful search. You can even look at a school like UCLA which got turned down by the same names Minnesota offered the last time around and ended up hiring Steve Alford from New Mexico.

The best chance for someone who has been successful at a high major is someone who currently doesn't have a job. Fred Hoiberg fits that model. Another name that Jeff Goodman says is considering getting back in to coaching is Thad Matta. I am not going to join the chorus claiming "no chance" for any specific coach currently coaching in a league that routinely gets multiple bids to the NCAA tournament, because any particular coach might have a situation where they want change.

I can't decide how to feel about him, but would a chance to come back to the B1G and stick it to Illinois be enough to get Bruce Weber? And would we want him? He's done a very good job at K-State but man he really blew it the last few years at Illinois.

High major coaches don't leave for lateral jobs unless there discontent with admin (Martin to SC or Buzz to VT) or they are about to be fired. Mick loves Cinci, Buzz is happy at VT, and Wojos next job is Duke. They are beyond shoot for the moon. Hopkins from what I've heard also has no issues with admin and certainly isn't close to being fired, so I'd really see no scenario that'd make him leave. He hung at Syracuse for as long as he did and is paid well, so I doubt more money would entice him, so I'd put him above it too. Built is right that you make a call. Coaches share opinions of other coaches during those calls while politely declining any interest.

I wasn't aware that you knew all of these coaches personally.

If they are happy where they are, with their compensation, with their relationships with the AD and donors, with their facilities, with their conference leadership, and with all other aspects of their current jobs then good for them.

I wasn't the one who brought up any of those names. I just don't think they are totally outrageous names to bring up as guys to call, even if it is just to check in or see if they think there are any candidates we should consider.

Top Bottom