Coaching Candidates

Gophers should overtake Badgers next year if all the players that are supposed to be back are in fact back. Unless Curry has a navicular fracture I see no reason why he would not come back 100%.

I am hopeful that we still get a nice unexpected addition for 2019 or maybe even two.

Sadly I think we'll be looking up in the standings to badgers

I am beginning to wonder if he will get back to 80% of what he was as a freshman.

I'm in same boat, tough break he showed so much as a freshman

Respectfully BG, I think Happ will be more replaceable for the Badgers than Murph will be for the Gophers. Reuvers looks ready to take over Wiscy's alpha-dog big guy role, and they have pretty much all their other key guys coming back.

With Curry's latest injury, I'm now more concerned about the Gopher bigs situation next year than I am the PG situation, and that's saying something. For next year we have Oturu and. ......? Love Curry, but I think we can now put EC in the category of having no idea what to expect out of him his last two seasons because of his injury history. Omersa? Hurt? That's nowhere close to being a Big Ten-caliber frontcourt rotation.

If I'm coming off as confused in this thread, it's probably because I AM! :eek:

I think Murphy is replaceable quantitatively - meaning you can compensate for his absence on the court with other players in terms of rebounding and scoring, although it'll be as a committee. But your and Otis' point is the key: lack of quality depth, especially if Curry doesn't regain more of his good health.

As far as Reuvers replacing Happ, it'll depend on how he continues to develop. Happ requires a double team to shut him down, and he even beats that sometimes. He's a special kind of weapon out there that they can just dump the ball into with the confidence that something good is going to happen. He regularly makes eye popping plays. Reuvers has some nice dimensions and abilities, but he's not one of those hold-your-breath kind of weapons...yet.

Last edited:

Gophers should overtake Badgers next year if all the players that are supposed to be back are in fact back. Unless Curry has a navicular fracture I see no reason why he would not come back 100%.

I am hopeful that we still get a nice unexpected addition for 2019 or maybe even two.

I doubt it. Honestly. Even if Curry comes back healthy, I wouldn't expect much from him. Expect about what you saw this year. Mostly a nonfactor, I honestly don't think he will ever come back 100%.

I doubt it. Honestly. Even if Curry comes back healthy, I wouldn't expect much from him. Expect about what you saw this year. Mostly a nonfactor, I honestly don't think he will ever come back 100%.

Even if he comes back as 100%, he is about half as good as many think.

First off, I hope Pitino turns this around as I would love to see him succeed. However, he has not reached his own expectations for the program in 6 years on the job. During his introductory press conference (which I attended), Pitino kept reiterating what type of style he would introduce to the Big Ten. He used the word "Brand". Have we even seen anything remotely close to what this Brand is? He stated it would be an up-temp, exciting brand that the Big Ten has not seen yet.

If Pitino is not the guy for this job, then who is? I believe you only fire Pitino if Coyle can land his number one candidate. But, who is the number one candidate?

Here is my list of a few candidates:

Tony Bennett - possible to lure him from Virginia? Could be a way that Tony can stick it to UW for not hiring him / giving him a fair chance after his father retired.

Hoiberg - I think he stays in the Pros.

Steve Alford - no way do I want him as his tourney resume speaks for itself. Additionally, he has a huge ego that I do not like.

Scott Nagy - Wright State - turning things around there as well at his previous stop at South Dakota State

TJ Otzelberger - SDSU

Kalvin Sampson - Houston

Mick Cronin - Cincinnati

McDermott - Creighton

Nate Oates - Buffalo

Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa

Jeff Jones - Old Dominion - turning things around there

Niko Medved - CSU

Darian DeVries - Drake

and of course,

Muss - Nevada

What about Sean Sweeney? Former UST player, and lead assistant in the NBA for multiple years.

This was a really stupid move on Oats' part. Even if he really, really wants to stay at Buffalo, this deal would still be on the table after he had the chance to take a ride on the carousel.

Indeed, and the deal very likely would’ve been even larger simply due to the perception of interest from a P5 school. Probably left a lot of money on the table. Maybe he has the same genius agent as Le’Veon Bell.

Top Bottom