Coaching Candidates

You think with his body of work that there are schools that will offer him a better deal ? I can assure you he is not highly thought of nationally.

No I don’t think his body of work is good at all and probably shouldn’t merit many or any offers. But you never know what happens when the dominoes start to fall as other schools make changes and strike out at the coaches they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year was an outlier because of injuries but I expect Pitino to take us to the tourney every year moving forward.

Last year was an outlier? What about the 8 win season? Now that's an outlier!

What is your basis for the belief that Pitino will take us to the tournament every year moving forward (I'm assuming you have some time frame, so you're not talking like 20 years straight are you)? Do you have any idea how rare that is over an extended period of time? Currently (through 2018), there are only 4 programs in the country to have made the tournament more than 8 consecutive years (Kansas, Duke, Gonzaga, and Mich State - Incredibly, they all have a streak over 20 years). There are only five more (Cincinnati, North Carolina, Wichita State, Arizona, and Villanova) that have a current streak longer than five years. Likely, Wichita's and Arizona's streaks end this season.

Last edited:

I just want to point out that no anti-Pitino fan posted 5 hours after the big win, yet if we lost tonight this thread would have been flooded with negative comments... just saying that you anti-Pitino fans are wack and have fun rooting against "your favorite team" going forward

Can't speak for all of us, but I'd guess I'm someone who you would label "anti-Pitino."

I generally don't post during or immediately after home games, because I go to most of the home games and then often get a beer somewhere afterwards.

The idea that I put up the money for season tickets year after year and spend a significant amount of time going to games, and do it all so I can have fun rooting against my favorite team is laughable.

This should be the 3rd year in a row for the NCAA Tourney...I'll take that

Should, would, could, if and but. I will stick with facts.
4 injuries and a suspension ..all starters... that's the facts. I dont care if your MSU...you dont win with those loses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You think with his body of work that there are schools that will offer him a better deal ? I can assure you he is not highly thought of nationally.

You're probably right. I'm assuming he would only want to leave for a similar level program (unless you really have a terrible record, you can usually move down to a mid-major but it's tough to move up from a mid-major unless you have a pretty good record). There really aren't many good power six jobs likely to be available. Washington State has been a graveyard to all recent coaches except Bennett. De Paul is as well. It's tough to see Wake Forest or Boston College moving up anytime soon with their conference competition. I'm assuming Nebraska wouldn't be interested in Pitino if they fired Miles and intra-conference hires are rare anyway.

4 injuries and a suspension ..all starters... that's the facts. I dont care if your MSU...you dont win with those loses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Without the injuries, they make it last year, even with the loss of lynch, imo.

Built has standards - Virginia is his standard bearer. Bennett.

Frankly, I wish built was responsible for hiring the next coach, to really witness the results Built could bring to MN.

I'm just not convinced that Pitino can X and O with the top of the conference. I agree that the talent is there, but if not for the individual efforts of Coffey and Murphy at times, there would be not question of Pitino's fate. Not sure he is safe without a NCAA tournament win.

I like Pitino and want nothing but the best for him and the Gophers.

+1. I don't think it's in question that he's not a great X's and O's coach. Therefore he has to win here by recruiting superior talent, and I don't think that's feasible for him, or almost anyone. He also needs a staff that is strong in X's and O's and at least until this year, he didn't after McHale left. If he gets next year, I will be rooting for him to have hit HR's with Carr and Willis and whoever he gets to fill the 4 spots. But I'm not naive about their prospects as of this moment.

Pitino should be replaced. A good coach would get more out of this team.

Honestly, I expect Pitino to leave for a lateral or better job if we make the Big Dance. He doesn't have a lot of leash left here, even if he keeps his job. A new position would basically guarantee a big income for him for another 4 years. A bad year here next year and he's probably fired.

This might be best for everyone. I don't see us firing him if we make the NCAA's. Doing that twice in a row would make us look ridiculous, IMO.

You either unintentionally misinterpret people's motivations, or you're just fantasizing about a bloodlust that doesn't exist. People want the program to reach its potential. These are Gopher fans who may like Richard (I absolutely love the guy) but simply don't think he's the coach to get us where we think we can get. My primary allegiance is to my alma mater, not to one employee. To demonize people and their opinions gets us nowhere.

+1

Alabama supposedly flirted with him before and will be open again. Though it might be hard to forget 3-on-5. Or say someone like DePaul (I don't think Leito is in any danger though).

This might be best for everyone. I don't see us firing him if we make the NCAA's. Doing that twice in a row would make us look ridiculous, IMO.

...and if Richard gets another year, I'm cool with that. He will get the chance to coach his nice freshman class as sophomores and reorganize the team makeup without Murphy - the loss of which the Gophers should be able to recover from. Oturu is a rare talent, and there's realistic hope that Curry's health will improve and that he'll be serviceable. Happ is way less replaceable for the Badgers than Murphy is for the Gophers. If Gard successfully reconstitutes his team without Happ and Pitino struggles to do likewise without Murphy, there's your contrast in coaching ability right there.

...and if Richard gets another year, I'm cool with that. He will get the chance to coach his nice freshman class as sophomores and reorganize the team makeup without Murphy - the loss of which the Gophers should be able to recover from. Oturu is a rare talent, and there's realistic hope that Curry's health will improve and that he'll be serviceable. Happ is way less replaceable for the Badgers than Murphy is for the Gophers. If Gard successfully reconstitutes his team without Happ and Pitino struggles to do likewise without Murphy, there's your contrast in coaching ability right there.

If he doesn't hit at least .500 on the 4 open spots (and with Carr) it's going to be a long season, IMO. He will need an extension if he stays.

Gard at least has Tyler Wahl coming in.

Richard has a doughnut so far for incoming bigs.

Agreed. Without the injuries, they make it last year, even with the loss of lynch, imo.

Frankly, I wish built was responsible for hiring the next coach, to really witness the results Built could bring to MN.

I do not expect Bennett like results from Pitino, that is not going to happen and it is not realistic. What is realistic is winning over .500 in this conference And actually competing for a conference title even once in 6 years ! To do that we would have had to intill a culture from day one. I have studied how to do it really well at a non blue blood for 5 decades. Defense, low turnovers, great shot selection and high character was the only thing that has been sustainable.

Gard at least has Tyler Wahl coming in.

Richard has a doughnut so far for incoming bigs.

He needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat for certain. To that point:

1. You never want to put yourself in a position of having to pull a rabbit out of a hat. The roster management continues to kill us.

2. If he does end up pulling a rabbit out of a hat, credit to him for resourcefulness and scrap.

Alabama supposedly flirted with him before and will be open again. Though it might be hard to forget 3-on-5. Or say someone like DePaul (I don't think Leito is in any danger though).

You think Bama is going to be open? Avery Johnson had them in the dance last year and won a game there. They are in the mix again this year. I'd be surprised if that isn't good enough at a football school.

Congrats to Coach Pitino on a great win last night.

I still think it's time to turn the page.

You think Bama is going to be open? Avery Johnson had them in the dance last year and won a game there. They are in the mix again this year. I'd be surprised if that isn't good enough at a football school.

I'm not sure. Their fans seem more done with him than ours with Pitino though. And I don't think they're very in the mix for an NCAA bid at the moment.

Greg will never leave UW for a different college job . Sure you know how fast he got to 40 conference wins. He is far more sought after than our guy.
So...he's in Greg Gard territory...[emoji16]

... Oturu is a rare talent, and there's realistic hope that Curry's health will improve and that he'll be serviceable. Happ is way less replaceable for the Badgers than Murphy is for the Gophers. If Gard successfully reconstitutes his team without Happ and Pitino struggles to do likewise without Murphy, there's your contrast in coaching ability right there.

Respectfully BG, I think Happ will be more replaceable for the Badgers than Murph will be for the Gophers. Reuvers looks ready to take over Wiscy's alpha-dog big guy role, and they have pretty much all their other key guys coming back.

With Curry's latest injury, I'm now more concerned about the Gopher bigs situation next year than I am the PG situation, and that's saying something. For next year we have Oturu and. ......? Love Curry, but I think we can now put EC in the category of having no idea what to expect out of him his last two seasons because of his injury history. Omersa? Hurt? That's nowhere close to being a Big Ten-caliber frontcourt rotation.

We could get to a #1 seed and then lose to a #16...

I'm not sure. Their fans seem more done with him than ours with Pitino though. And I don't think they're very in the mix for an NCAA bid at the moment.

Hmm. I have them as the last team in at the moment. The other bracketology folks I track have them in as well. Definitely not safely in by any means. Surely right in the mix IMO.

I do not expect Bennett like results from Pitino, that is not going to happen and it is not realistic. What is realistic is winning over .500 in this conference And actually competing for a conference title even once in 6 years ! To do that we would have had to intill a culture from day one. I have studied how to do it really well at a non blue blood for 5 decades. Defense, low turnovers, great shot selection and high character was the only thing that has been sustainable.

I have not suggested nor said you expect Bennett results from Pitino. Not once.

You have firmly placed Bennett as the standard, your standard, for how a coach should build and sustain.

List the top 4 coaches that match your standards, that would be willing to make U of MN their home for the long term, to build it as you suggest. I, for one, want to watch the results of your list, as time goes bye........

Respectfully BG, I think Happ will be more replaceable for the Badgers than Murph will be for the Gophers. Reuvers looks ready to take over Wiscy's alpha-dog big guy role, and they have pretty much all their other key guys coming back.

With Curry's latest injury, I'm now more concerned about the Gopher bigs situation next year than I am the PG situation, and that's saying something. For next year we have Oturu and. ......? Love Curry, but I think we can now put EC in the category of having no idea what to expect out of him his last two seasons because of his injury history. Omersa? Hurt? That's nowhere close to being a Big Ten-caliber frontcourt rotation.

Gophers should overtake Badgers next year if all the players that are supposed to be back are in fact back. Unless Curry has a navicular fracture I see no reason why he would not come back 100%.

I am hopeful that we still get a nice unexpected addition for 2019 or maybe even two.

Gophers should overtake Badgers next year if all the players that are supposed to be back are in fact back. Unless Curry has a navicular fracture I see no reason why he would not come back 100%.

I am hopeful that we still get a nice unexpected addition for 2019 or maybe even two.

I am beginning to wonder if he will get back to 80% of what he was as a freshman.

Top Bottom