Coaching Candidates

Alvarez didn’t want Gard as that is why Bo Ryan came back in 2015 and then retired in December in order to Gard a chance. Gard then turned around the season and took them to a sweet 16. Gard earned the job.

Pitino needs to win a few more games for me to change my opinion that a coaching change must happen. I trust coyle to do the right thing.

Every college football fan in the country knew PJ Fleck coached western Michigan.
I didn’t know rick pitino has a son until we hired him

The Pitino/Fleck comparison would be valid if Pitino had coached 4 years at FIU and taken them to a Sweet 16.

The U is not going to spend 3 million a year for a basketball coach. There are way more available than football and the market dictated Fleck. Plus the U and boosters are not going to come up with a giant annuity that several others have.

Why is that a given? Tubby was paid in the top 10-15 paid coaches. Minnesota is one of the largest universities in the country but can't compete with Gonzaga and Wichita when it comes to paying a basketball coach? They can. Will they? Who knows.

Alvarez didn’t want Gard as that is why Bo Ryan came back in 2015 and then retired in December in order to Gard a chance. Gard then turned around the season and took them to a sweet 16. Gard earned the job.

It's not that he didn't want Gard, he wanted Bennett first. I heard the same thing about Bo coming back and retiring to give Greg a fair shot to earn the job over some of the others who would apply for it. As built said earlier, Gard is one of the better people in the sport. He's really good on the bball side of things, but also is a great person who did all the leg work to get kids to Madison.

Why is that a given? Tubby was paid in the top 10-15 paid coaches. Minnesota is one of the largest universities in the country but can't compete with Gonzaga and Wichita when it comes to paying a basketball coach? They can. Will they? Who knows.

I think they'll spend 2.5-3 mill, but it won't be enough to lure someone away from a high major job.

Minnesota is one of the largest universities in the country but can't compete with Gonzaga and Wichita when it comes to paying a basketball coach? They can. Will they? Who knows.

I believe Koch money helped keep the Wichita state coach in the job. Doesn't matter how small you are if you have some extremely wealthy people as supporters. Some people can give more than 10,000 others combined without breaking a sweat.

I think they'll spend 2.5-3 mill, but it won't be enough to lure someone away from a high major job.

3 MILLION is a top 15 salary. There are coaches who have millions built in incentives and lifetime annuities. Ohio State is paying Holtman way over 5 million to come over from Butler. His salary is over 7 million. Bennett turned down 5.4 from Texas. 5.2 from Indiana , that is annual salary. 3 million per year will lure who from a high major that is any good ?

3 MILLION is a top 15 salary. There are coaches who have millions built in incentives and lifetime annuities. Ohio State is paying Holtman way over 5 million to come over from Butler. His salary is over 7 million. Bennett turned down 5.4 from Texas. 5.2 from Indiana , that is annual salary. 3 million per year will lure who from a high major that is any good ?

Correct, thank you for explaining that more, we need to focus on finding someone who wants to be here and is an up and comer or hasn't "arrived" yet.

That right there is the problem I see with changing coaches. to change a B level coach for a B level coach does not make sense to me. It is highly unlikely we will ever have a top 15 coach here.

I'll stop posting on this subject, as I am one of very few that still support Pitino.

Go Gophers!!! work to do and they can do it!!

That right there is the problem I see with changing coaches. to change a B level coach for a B level coach does not make sense to me. It is highly unlikely we will ever have a top 15 coach here.

I'll stop posting on this subject, as I am one of very few that still support Pitino.

Pitino isn't a B level coach. He has a long way to go to approach being a B level coach.

The defeatist attitude about our program baffles me. We act as though we can never hope to better than we are now. The Six years before Pitino were better than his six, so we have to, at a bare minimum, be able to get back to that level.

The defeatist attitude about our program baffles me. We act as though we can never hope to better than we are now. The Six years before Pitino were better than his six, so we have to, at a bare minimum, be able to get back to that level.

I do not agree. records may be better but Tubby was in a downward spiral and everyone could see it...he was coasting. and other than the Andre Holins(maybe 1 or 2 others) the roster was not good. It is better today(my opinion)

not a defeatist attitude in the least.

It will never be how i think. We should be in search of that 16th best coach if we can not get the top 15. UW found Bennett through extraordinary methods of planning and logic. He would not have ranked in anyone's
top 500 except for coach K, Knight, Keady, Al who knew if you could win where he won you could build. Same on Ryan, Same on Tony. Damn, if you can build a winner at Washington State you can win anywhere. Find the guy who has won in the toughest places, no matter the level, talk to the best coaches on who gave the best teaching clinics they have seen. You tell them it is never their assistants your looking for. It can be done and we have the AD to do it right. For 50 years it was done in some clown show to win a press conference. It has been do at Villanova, UW, UVA,Butler, Xavier all non blue bloods.

your opinion

Out of the 6 power conferences where would you rank him ? There are close to 70 coaches. I would rank him no better than 48 out of that group, that is a damn low grade on any scale. Are you perhaps looking at his coaching prowess through the lens of liking him ? What grade do you give him ?

Out of the 6 power conferences where would you rank him ? There are close to 70 coaches. I would rank him no better than 48 out of that group, that is a damn low grade on any scale. Are you perhaps looking at his coaching prowess through the lens of liking him ? What grade do you give him ?
I would give him. B-.

I gotta be done posting on this.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Built, just a question and not a "sticking up for Richard point", when and how to coaches get time to develop into that great coach? I'm a believer in a growth mindset and don't believe that it just happens at birth. If we identify someone young and early, we will have growing pains, but what do those look like? Some mistakes (mainly recruiting) in basketball can cost you years. Again, I think Richard has gotten a ton better, do I think he'll ever be a top 5 coach in this conference, probably not, so I'm fine with moving on. Just want to hear some perspectives on this.

Thats a damn specific number.

Give me the list if you've got it.

Here's the list.
Deleted

Cleaner list below.

Last edited:

I did a sort by tenure.

These guys are better than Richard.

Jim Boeheim
Mike Krzyzewski
Tom Izzo
Mike Brey
Jay Wright
Leonard Hamilton
Roy Williams
Scott Drew
Bill Self
Matt Painter
Bob Huggins
John Beilein
Tony Bennett
Sean Miller
John Calipari

I think these guys are also better

Fran McCaffery
Lon Kruger
Bruce Weber
Frank Martin
Buzz Williams
Bruce Pearl
Shaka Smart
Greg Gard
Ben Howland
Rick Barnes
Archie Miller
Cuonzo Martin
Tom Crean

That's 28

That leaves these:

Avery Johnson Alabama Crimson Tide
Bobby Hurley Arizona State Sun Devils
Mike Anderson Arkansas Razorbacks
Jim Christian Boston College Eagles
LaVall Jordan Butler Bulldogs
Wyking Jones California Golden Bears
Brad Brownell Clemson Tigers
Tad Boyle Colorado Buffaloes
Greg McDermott Creighton Bluejays
Dave Leitao DePaul Blue Demons
Michael White Florida Gators
Patrick Ewing Georgetown Hoyas
Josh Pastner Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Brad Underwood Illinois Fighting Illini
Steve Prohm Iowa State Cyclones
Chris Mack Louisville Cardinals
Will Wade LSU Tigers
Steve Wojciechowski Marquette Golden Eagles
Mark Turgeon Maryland Terrapins
Jim Larrañaga Miami Hurricanes
Richard Pitino Minnesota Golden Gophers
Kevin Keatts NC State Wolfpack
Tim Miles Nebraska Cornhuskers
Chris Collins Northwestern Wildcats
Chris Holtmann Ohio State Buckeyes
Mike Boynton Oklahoma State Cowboys
Kermit Davis Ole Miss Rebels
Dana Altman Oregon Ducks
Wayne Tinkle Oregon State Beavers
Pat Chambers Penn State Nittany Lions
Jeff Capel III Pittsburgh Panthers
Ed Cooley Providence Friars
Steve Pikiell Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Kevin Willard Seton Hall Pirates
Chris Mullin St. John's Red Storm
Jerod Haase Stanford Cardinal
Jamie Dixon TCU Horned Frogs
Billy Kennedy Texas A&M Aggies
Chris Beard Texas Tech Red Raiders
Steve Alford UCLA Bruins
Andy Enfield USC Trojans
Larry Krystkowiak Utah Utes
Bryce Drew Vanderbilt Commodores
Danny Manning Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Mike Hopkins Washington Huskies
Ernie Kent Washington State Cougars
Travis Steele Xavier Musketeers

I did a sort by tenure.

Jim Boeheim
Mike Krzyzewski
Tom Izzo
Mike Brey
Jay Wright
Leonard Hamilton
Roy Williams
Scott Drew
Bill Self
Matt Painter
Bob Huggins
John Beilein
Tony Bennett
Sean Miller
John Calipari

Fran McCaffery
Lon Kruger
Bruce Weber
Frank Martin
Buzz Williams
Bruce Pearl
Shaka Smart
Greg Gard
Ben Howland
Rick Barnes
Archie Miller
Cuonzo Martin
Tom Crean

That's 28

That leaves these:

Will Wade LSU Tigers
Dana Altman Oregon Ducks
Steve Alford UCLA Bruins
Andy Enfield USC Trojans

Chris Mack and Chris Beard are top 15 coaches in the country. Very well respected and do phenomenal jobs. I could also pick about 15 others right away that I think are significantly better than Richard. Others are just a Wash in my opinion. I'm also not as high on Fran as you are.

I do not agree. records may be better but Tubby was in a downward spiral and everyone could see it...he was coasting. and other than the Andre Holins(maybe 1 or 2 others) the roster was not good. It is better today(my opinion)

not a defeatist attitude in the least.

The "downward spiral" argument is an interesting one, given that his last year was his best. Usually downward spirals go down.

It will never be how i think. We should be in search of that 16th best coach if we can not get the top 15. UW found Bennett through extraordinary methods of planning and logic. He would not have ranked in anyone's
top 500 except for coach K, Knight, Keady, Al who knew if you could win where he won you could build. Same on Ryan, Same on Tony. Damn, if you can build a winner at Washington State you can win anywhere. Find the guy who has won in the toughest places, no matter the level, talk to the best coaches on who gave the best teaching clinics they have seen. You tell them it is never their assistants your looking for. It can be done and we have the AD to do it right. For 50 years it was done in some clown show to win a press conference. It has been do at Villanova, UW, UVA,Butler, Xavier all non blue bloods.

I think we are in agreement. My point wasn't that the Tubby tenure should be considered good enough. It was a response to people who think we cant do better than we are now, and Tinny definitely did that. So I think there is no reasonable argument that at Minnesota, we can't at least make the tourney in half our seasons. I think with the right coach we can do much better, and I hope we find that coach.

I did a sort by tenure.

Jim Boeheim
Mike Krzyzewski
Tom Izzo
Mike Brey
Jay Wright
Leonard Hamilton
Roy Williams
Scott Drew
Bill Self
Matt Painter
Bob Huggins
John Beilein
Tony Bennett
Sean Miller
John Calipari

Fran McCaffery
Lon Kruger
Bruce Weber
Frank Martin
Buzz Williams
Bruce Pearl
Shaka Smart
Greg Gard
Ben Howland
Rick Barnes
Archie Miller
Cuonzo Martin
Tom Crean

That's 30

That leaves these:

Will Wade LSU Tigers
Dana Altman Oregon Ducks

Steve Alford UCLA Bruins
Andy Enfield USC Trojans

Updated.

Thats a damn specific number.

Give me the list if you've got it.

Just went down a list that we always keep of every active coach separated by power conferences. Out of his competition against the other 74 i thought there were literally 40 that blow him away. another 8 that are clearly better and was being very generous about the other 26. There is not any eye test or metric that leads me to think he is a good coach among that group. My opinion. Suppose their are fans that will think he is top 20 in that group.

I think we are in agreement. My point wasn't that the Tubby tenure should be considered good enough. It was a response to people who think we cant do better than we are now, and Tinny definitely did that. So I think there is no reasonable argument that at Minnesota, we can't at least make the tourney in half our seasons. I think with the right coach we can do much better, and I hope we find that coach.

Totally agree.

Built, just a question and not a "sticking up for Richard point", when and how to coaches get time to develop into that great coach? I'm a believer in a growth mindset and don't believe that it just happens at birth. If we identify someone young and early, we will have growing pains, but what do those look like? Some mistakes (mainly recruiting) in basketball can cost you years. Again, I think Richard has gotten a ton better, do I think he'll ever be a top 5 coach in this conference, probably not, so I'm fine with moving on. Just want to hear some perspectives on this.

It is OK to defend Pitino, i have when i see fit. In nearly every instance of studying successful coaches they show miraculous results very early in their career. All coaches make mistakes, especially in recruiting but the great ones were great early and the culture they installed apparent to other coaches right away even if wins were not year one. We have tracked how they play. In each case they built from defense day one ! They never sacrificed or risked character. I do hope he learned from those mistakes on character and think he has. Also think he learned on defense but with that said something that is ineffable is missing. When you meet great coaches, or teachers or leaders you know it right away. They have a certain magic, they have the ability to get people to be self assured but not selfish. They give all those around them confidence that no matter the outcome that as long as they battled every moment they would be fine. If it was easy everyone would do it but some people are smarter and more gifted than others. In studying great coaches we found that they were great at other things their whole lives. You just have to know that the greatness i describe is out there coaching or assisting at any level.

Top Bottom