Coaching Candidates

What are some good assistant coaches at P5 schools, that might make sense? I honestly don't follow that portion of it all too closely.

Dane Fife at Michigan St

The more I am thinking about...Nate Oats really strikes me as a Coyle type of hire.

Last edited:

Khalid El Amin was going to be an assistant at UConn until that fiasco. He was taking classes during the summer so he could graduate with a degree.

Nate Oats - can he recruit. He hasn't even had a full recruiting cycle at Buffalo yet.

Nate Oats - can he recruit. He hasn't even had a full recruiting cycle at Buffalo yet.

He's in year 4, so they're mostly his guys and have gotten better each year. I'm not too concerned about that. Just a question of how it will translate. But if the Gophers played Buffalo on a neutral court today, they'd be at least 5 point dogs.

why not Kevin McHale?
Here are some former Gophers whose names I like.

Ernest Nzigamasabo
Jamal Abu Shamala
Jim Shikenjanski
Russ Archambault
Zebedee Howell
Kyle Sanden
John Blair-Bickerstaff

Not sure if any coach other than JB however. But good names.

I could get on the Mike Rhoades train the more I look into him. Craig Smith is becoming intriguing to me as well although being part of the Miles pipeline work against him? Pretty impressive that Miles had him and Niko for that long on staff at CSU. Dane Fife would be a good hire in my book as well. I'm not on the Hoiberg wagon. Ryan Saunders is probably getting the Wolves job. Nate Oats is obviously another good one to look at if he wants the job. Kalvin Sampson is my number 1 who I think would take the job, but I know the U won't bark up that tree.

Bo ryan is available.

We should hire him

He would win here but i said the next Bo Ryan. The post is directed towards those that think recruiting is nearly everything. Ryan is great at putting together winning teams. That is what Gard is doing now.

Imagine finding the next Bo Ryan . He not on the hot seat, we have a Big 10 title right away and year after year of wonderful teams. Why not here ? Crappy programs stay with coaches that are not good for way too long and simply stay poor. Please explain why Ryan would not have done it here.

There are headwinds unique to the Twin Cities that make winning more difficult (but not impossible of course). Horrible winters; media that are hostile or indifferent to UM athletics; and the school being smack dab in the middle of a major metropolitan area. Much of the local talent wants to leave the area, unsurprisingly.

That said, Ryan would have succeeded here.

He would win here but i said the next Bo Ryan. The post is directed towards those that think recruiting is nearly everything. Ryan is great at putting together winning teams. That is what Gard is doing now.

Many locals wanted Gard fired three weeks ago. His situation as not as stable as you think. Frankly, no coaching gig is.

Many locals wanted Gard fired three weeks ago. His situation as not as stable as you think. Frankly, no coaching gig is.

Wrong. I know exactly where Alvarez stands with Greg and to say no coaching job is stable just is not true. My firm represented many AD's in my day and that firm handles two dozen now. Ask Carla Williams where she stands ! There are many coaches who can stay at their school as long as they want.

Mark me down....

….in the camp of people who want a good coach. There is plenty of talent out there even after the one and done schools ravage the landscape. A guy who can spot talent and can coach 'em up gets my vote.

Oats would good as well as the South Dakota St. guy. Both native Badgers, so built would be happy and our neighbors to the east could jealous if we ever get good!

….in the camp of people who want a good coach. There is plenty of talent out there even after the one and done schools ravage the landscape. A guy who can spot talent and can coach 'em up gets my vote.

Oats would good as well as the South Dakota St. guy. Both native Badgers, so built would be happy and our neighbors to the east could jealous if we ever get good!

Would love your hires but them being from Wisconsin has nothing to do with it. I admire great coaches wherever they are from.

Is there anyway to steal Chris Beard?

Nope ! Big bucks we never spend, debt on a facility, huge annuity and way better offers. But we can work hard to identify the next Beard. That is exactly what others did to build elite programs that are non blue blood.

Nope ! Big bucks we never spend, debt on a facility, huge annuity and way better offers. But we can work hard to identify the next Beard. That is exactly what others did to build elite programs that are non blue blood.

I believe we will go older and established.

Pitino was the younger and non-established and I highly doubt they would take that route again.

Pitino was the younger and non-established and I highly doubt they would take that route again.

Well, the thing with Pitino is that he was really young and really lacking in experiential accomplishments when he was hired. Conceivably they could get a 40 year old guy (not very old) who has been coaching for 15 years in various positions at various levels and has some history of accomplishment.

I guess it depends on how you define "big bucks." I believe Tubby was somewhere between #20-#25 on the highest paid coaches list. Fleck is also just outside the top 25 on the salary list. It's not like we can't offer a competitive salary.

Fleck was younger and non-established. Very Pitino like in that mold...

I guess it depends on how you define "big bucks." I believe Tubby was somewhere between #20-#25 on the highest paid coaches list. Fleck is also just outside the top 25 on the salary list. It's not like we can't offer a competitive salary.

Beard would require a top 15 salary. Plus he likes being by his family from what I ever read.

Wrong. I know exactly where Alvarez stands with Greg and to say no coaching job is stable just is not true. My firm represented many AD's in my day and that firm handles two dozen now. Ask Carla Williams where she stands ! There are many coaches who can stay at their school as long as they want.

What fans want and what Barry will do are completely different. Hard was a long term play just like Bo was. Some fans and media like to be overreactionary.

I believe Tubby was near the top 10 when he first came here.

The U is not going to spend 3 million a year for a basketball coach. There are way more available than football and the market dictated Fleck. Plus the U and boosters are not going to come up with a giant annuity that several others have.

What fans want and what Barry will do are completely different. Hard was a long term play just like Bo was. Some fans and media like to be overreactionary.

Yes sir. Alvarez wanted Bennett and what he got was a huge endorsement backing Greg. Gard is a fantastic evaluator and teacher. Great guy too. He is the one who built the relationships with the high school coaches in the midwest. People would have a tough time naming the number of times Bo visited a high school. Gard was relentless in getting to know players and families.

Fleck was younger and non-established. Very Pitino like in that mold...

Every college football fan in the country knew PJ Fleck coached western Michigan.
I didn’t know rick pitino has a son until we hired him

Top Bottom