Coaching Candidates

Interesting....he was in Rochester with Coach K a few weeks ago...and I believe he is a midwest guy....Chicago??? I kind of thought he might be groomed to be Coach K's replacement now though.

He’s a suburban Chicago guy...Glenbrook North HS in Glenview, the same school that produced Chris Collins (both led their teams to state titles).

Here are some former Gophers whose names I like.

Ernest Nzigamasabo.

Last I saw he was mr October fest at the Bavarian bier cafe in bondi. He’s been in Sydney for years and far from basketball. Great guy. If you’re ever in Sydney seek him out. Great stories. I can say with confidence he won’t be on a short list for our next coach.

Besides all the BTN money, from 2009-2013 we were top 25 in average attendance so money can be recouped if we spend big on a coach who brings excitement and winning.

He’s a suburban Chicago guy...Glenbrook North HS in Glenview, the same school that produced Chris Collins (both led their teams to state titles).

I heard he had a game in high school where he scored 21 points in less than 2 minutes. Is he Coach K's top assistant? What do people say about his head coaching prospects?

-Ben Jacobson
-Eric Mussleman
-JB Bickerstaff (if Memphis was to make a change for whatever reason)
-TJ Otzelberger from South Dakota St
-Nate Oats
-Jon Scheyer... had to.

I doubt they'd consider him but..... Kelvin Sampson?

Since taking N. Iowa to to the Sweet 16 in 2010, Jacobson has missed the tournament 7 of 9 seasons and has a losing conference record the last 3 seasons. Pass.

My dream coach would be Dave Joerger. I know....it's an unrealistic dream, but I think some people have speculated him being a candidate for the Timberwolves this offseason. He is a Minnesota guy who maybe wants to move back to and become a legend.

My dream coach would be Dave Joerger. I know....it's an unrealistic dream, but I think some people have speculated him being a candidate for the Timberwolves this offseason. He is a Minnesota guy who maybe wants to move back to and become a legend.

Not a lot of talent coming out of Staples-Motley. What other recruiting connections would he have? Same concern for Ryan Saunders.

Besides all the BTN money, from 2009-2013 we were top 25 in average attendance so money can be recouped if we spend big on a coach who brings excitement and winning.

The pay would be competitive for the new coach but no amount will pry loose elite coaches. Oats could be had but we have to strike fast or UCLA will jump or if they hire Wojo then Marquette hires Oats and they pay alot for their basketball staff. Many of the top coaches are being set up with giant annuities privately funded. Really popular in the ACC and the big east.

Not a lot of talent coming out of Staples-Motley. What other recruiting connections would he have? Same concern for Ryan Saunders.

What recruiting connection did Hoiberg have? Joerger has been pretty successful where ever he has coached. I think players who have aspirations of playing in the NBA would love to play for the guy. He's young and would have a chance to build something pretty special at the U.

1. Nate Oats - Buffalo
2. Craig Smith - Utah St.
3. TJ Otzelberger - South Dakota St.

All are originally from WI or MN. All continue to prove themselves as very good head coaches.

What recruiting connection did Hoiberg have? Joerger has been pretty successful where ever he has coached. I think players who have aspirations of playing in the NBA would love to play for the guy. He's young and would have a chance to build something pretty special at the U.

Maybe, but it's a risk hiring a guy who's never coached a game of college basketball. If we're going that route, I'd roll the dice on Saunders before Joerger.

Builtbadgers: I know you are connected to the boosters in some way...are they pushing for anyone? What do you think of Luke Yaklich the Beilein assistant in charge of defense? I would imagine he wouldn't be at the top of the list as far as names, but he seems to have a great reputation on that end of the floor. Are any of Tony's assistants ready to make the jump to the head coaching spot? I would assume they would be high on your list if they are given your affinity for Bennett.

The pay would be competitive for the new coach but no amount will pry loose elite coaches. Oats could be had but we have to strike fast or UCLA will jump or if they hire Wojo then Marquette hires Oats and they pay alot for their basketball staff. Many of the top coaches are being set up with giant annuities privately funded. Really popular in the ACC and the big east.

Wojo isnt going to UCLA. So Oates is very available and very likely.

Builtbadgers: I know you are connected to the boosters in some way...are they pushing for anyone? What do you think of Luke Yaklich the Beilein assistant in charge of defense? I would imagine he wouldn't be at the top of the list as far as names, but he seems to have a great reputation on that end of the floor. Are any of Tony's assistants ready to make the jump to the head coaching spot? I would assume they would be high on your list if they are given your affinity for Bennett.

Luke is a defensive wizard. Can he bring a staff. The boosters i know from here are provincial and want anyone from Saunders to Medved. I like Oats. Tony's assistants that were ready were Richie Mckay who found his perfect fit at Liberty and Ron Sanchez who took the Charlotte job and who will build from the ground up. The best one is Williford and unless he is waiting for the ACC could be had.

Phony or not....he's gonna win here

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was being sarcastic....I love PJ Fleck. I watched the first 34 minutes of his talk and then the video ended. I wish I could have seen his whole talk. I don't just think he's going to win here, I think he is going to win big here. So excited for the Gopher Football season.....they have probably become my favorite team.

Not sure if some of these names have been mentioned, but I would be fine with :

Casey Alexander(Lipscomb)
Travis DeCuire(Montana)
Russell Turner(UC-Irvine)
Wes Miller(UNC-Greensboro)

If some of the obvious names don't pan out(and I throw some of these out knowing there's almost zero chance), Mussleman, Hoiberg, Oats, Otzelberger, I'd be fine with any of the above.

It's time though to move on. We honestly might not win another game this season.

Luke is a defensive wizard. Can he bring a staff. The boosters i know from here are provincial and want anyone from Saunders to Medved. I like Oats. Tony's assistants that were ready were Richie Mckay who found his perfect fit at Liberty and Ron Sanchez who took the Charlotte job and who will build from the ground up. The best one is Williford and unless he is waiting for the ACC could be had.

Yaklich is an interesting name for sure. Wonder if he's up for or would translate to a good head coach. It's not meant for everyone and there are other responsibilities. I can't imagine that he wants to move that that he won't have an opportunity.

Wojo isnt going to UCLA. So Oates is very available and very likely.

Goodman on his podcast a couple weeks ago and another guy are convince don't that Wojo is next at Duke. That's why Marquette was a good fit. Cut teeth as a head coach, get a staff, work for a similar program (Private, not the top dog in he state, but more reknowned nationally).

The only thing for sure is that the new coach will be on the "hot seat" by Year 4, which will affect recruiting, thereby completing another cycle of futility by Year 6. Wash, rinse, repeat. Next?

What are some good assistant coaches at P5 schools, that might make sense? I honestly don't follow that portion of it all too closely.

The only thing for sure is that the new coach will be on the "hot seat" by Year 4, which will affect recruiting, thereby completing another cycle of futility by Year 6. Wash, rinse, repeat. Next?

Imagine finding the next Bo Ryan . He not on the hot seat, we have a Big 10 title right away and year after year of wonderful teams. Why not here ? Crappy programs stay with coaches that are not good for way too long and simply stay poor. Please explain why Ryan would not have done it here.

We did recruit Kalscheur. But yeah I get your overall point. But recruiting guys based solely on shooting hasn't really worked out for Pitino either. Jamir Harris was recruited for his shooting and Pitino practically advised him to transfer.

But yeah if we add another shooter to this recruiting class it can go a long ways

Jim Pete would be able to recruit Nd actually develop players

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imagine finding the next Bo Ryan . He not on the hot seat, we have a Big 10 title right away and year after year of wonderful teams. Why not here ? Crappy programs stay with coaches that are not good for way too long and simply stay poor. Please explain why Ryan would not have done it here.

Bo ryan is available.

We should hire him

Top Bottom