Coaching Candidates

GopherCountry

Reaction score
First off, I hope Pitino turns this around as I would love to see him succeed. However, he has not reached his own expectations for the program in 6 years on the job. During his introductory press conference (which I attended), Pitino kept reiterating what type of style he would introduce to the Big Ten. He used the word "Brand". Have we even seen anything remotely close to what this Brand is? He stated it would be an up-temp, exciting brand that the Big Ten has not seen yet.

If Pitino is not the guy for this job, then who is? I believe you only fire Pitino if Coyle can land his number one candidate. But, who is the number one candidate?

Here is my list of a few candidates:

Tony Bennett - possible to lure him from Virginia? Could be a way that Tony can stick it to UW for not hiring him / giving him a fair chance after his father retired.

Hoiberg - I think he stays in the Pros.

Steve Alford - no way do I want him as his tourney resume speaks for itself. Additionally, he has a huge ego that I do not like.

Scott Nagy - Wright State - turning things around there as well at his previous stop at South Dakota State

TJ Otzelberger - SDSU

Kalvin Sampson - Houston

Mick Cronin - Cincinnati

McDermott - Creighton

Nate Oates - Buffalo

Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa

Jeff Jones - Old Dominion - turning things around there

Niko Medved - CSU

Darian DeVries - Drake

and of course,

Muss - Nevada

I don’t see why we’d go any deeper than Tony Bennett. Unless Coach K, Calipari or Izzo come in.

You can’t be serious about Bennett. You just can’t be.

I don’t see why we’d go any deeper than Tony Bennett. Unless Coach K, Calipari or Izzo come in.

You can’t be serious about Bennett. You just can’t be.

We did exhaust this topic in another thread, but the more I keep watching Sampson, the more I am getting sold on him. Of course with both our checkered history's, I'm sure it probably isn't the best fit.

We did exhaust this topic in another thread, but the more I keep watching Sampson, the more I am getting sold on him. Of course with both our checkered history's, I'm sure it probably isn't the best fit.

OP mentioned Tony Bennett. Amazing.

I’d take Sampson. Would love to see more vacated seasons. Its been too long!

OP mentioned Tony Bennett. Amazing.

I’d take Sampson. Would love to see more vacated seasons. Its been too long!

Lol, better to have the banner for a little while than not having it at all right? Maybe a new MN motto. I just ignore when I see guys mention people like Bennett, Brey, and others like that.

First off, I hope Pitino turns this around as I would love to see him succeed. However, he has not reached his own expectations for the program in 6 years on the job. During his introductory press conference (which I attended), Pitino kept reiterating what type of style he would introduce to the Big Ten. He used the word "Brand". Have we even seen anything remotely close to what this Brand is? He stated it would be an up-temp, exciting brand that the Big Ten has not seen yet.

If Pitino is not the guy for this job, then who is? I believe you only fire Pitino if Coyle can land his number one candidate. But, who is the number one candidate?

Tony Bennett - possible to lure him from Virginia? Could be a way that Tony can stick it to UW for not hiring him / giving him a fair chance after his father retired.

Steve Alford - no way do I want him as his tourney resume speaks for itself. Additionally, he has a huge ego that I do not like.

Scott Nagy - Wright State - turning things around there as well at his previous stop at South Dakota State

TJ Otzelberger - SDSU

Kalvin Sampson - Houston

Mick Cronin - Cincinnati

McDermott - Creighton

Nate Oates - Buffalo

Niko Medved - CSU

Darian DeVries - Drake

and of course,

Muss - Nevada

You do know that Bennett turned down UW and recommended Gard for the job right ! Already turned down Indiana, Texas, Illinois.Marquette, UCLA .the Bucks, Knicks,Pistons, Pelicans. Jerry West is now trying to get him to take the Clippers job. Win out and keep this guy if you think he will ever rise to conference title type level. Or go for Oats.

What about Lon Kruger? Oklahoma getting sick of him yet? Should have went hard after this guy years ago. He has had success everywhere he has gone. Doubt we would get him and he is getting older. I just think
it is a shame there has never been any talk of getting him here after all the coaches we have been through since Clem.

If Pitino is let go after the season (they still could make the tournament after all) I think I would rank my preferences like this:

1. Eric Musselman
2. Fred Hoiberg
3. Nate Oats
4. TJ Otzelberger
5. Scott Nagy

A couple guys I am intrigued by are Kyle Smith from San Francisco and Mike Rhoades of VCU.

Cronin is an interesting one. Cronin at Cincy is what we were hoping for here with Pitino. First two years under .500. Next to years a little over .500 going in right direction, then in year 5 and every year after just rolling!

If Pitino is let go after the season (they still could make the tournament after all) I think I would rank my preferences like this:

1. Eric Musselman
2. Fred Hoiberg
3. Nate Oats
4. TJ Otzelberger
5. Scott Nagy

A couple guys I am intrigued by are Kyle Smith from San Francisco and Mike Rhoades of VCU.

Rhoades is someone all the best coaches talk about.

Muss is my first choice. Only questions are what other jobs he is offered, and where he wants to live. Either way I think he's coaching somewhere other than Reno after this season. If UCLA doesn't scoop him up I like our chances.

After that (in order):

Nate Oates

Scott Nagy

Dane Fife (Six years as a head coach under his belt. and spent the last 8 years learning under a guy who knows how to win in the B1G.)

TJ Otzelberger

Ben Jacobson (Not a hot name right now, but I've always liked him. Has 4 NCAA tourney wins on his resume.)

Potential Wild Card: Shaka Smart

Bennett ain't coming here.

I like Hoiberg, but I think he'll get offered a NBA job so don't think it's realistic.

Alford is a hard pass from me. Just don't think he'd be successful here.

Sampson's checkered past is a non-starter for me.

Cronin is solid, but he's already making $2M+ at his alma mater. Don't think he's worth what it would cost to pry him away.

McDermott has the potential NCAA issues hanging over him. Don't want any part of that.

Don't know much about Jeff Jones.

Medved and DeVries don't do much for me. Nothing about them jumps out and says "This guy can take a B1G program to the next level."

Cronin is an interesting one. Cronin at Cincy is what we were hoping for here with Pitino. First two years under .500. Next to years a little over .500 going in right direction, then in year 5 and every year after just rolling!

No chance on Cronin coming here. Zero. He coaches great defense though. The intensity he makes his guys play with is amazing.

Yeah your probably right. I just liked the defense part of his coaching. Cincy has been rolling ever since year 5 of the cronin era. He cant be getting any better of players than we have.

I hear there is a guy named Rick Pitino who used to coach Louisville... He's available.

Rhoades is someone all the best coaches talk about.

What is a realistic list of three coaches the Gophers could target? It seems like coaches of top ten/twenty programs like Nevada and Buffalo looking for an opportunity to move up would have better opportunities.

I hear there is a guy named Rick Pitino who used to coach Louisville... He's available.

That would be an interesting reverse twist on the father-to-son coaching succession plan of the Knights at Texas Tech, Bennetts at Wazzu and Drews at Valpo.

Fire Richard, hire Rick, hire Richard as the coach in waiting once his dad steps down

What is a realistic list of three coaches the Gophers could target? It seems like coaches of top ten/twenty programs like Nevada and Buffalo looking for an opportunity to move up would have better opportunities.

I think TJ and Nagy are probably your most realistic options. I don't think Oats is unrealistic either to be honest. UCLA is the name program, but I am guessing they're going after someone with a bit more pedigree. I don't know what other jobs could open up this year that are high profile jobs.

Not saying this is going to be an enticing job, but there's talent to work with here assuming there's not a ton of attrition. You're probably looking at a starting line up of Oturu, Curry, Coffey, Kalscheur and Carr. The bench would be pretty iffy, but that's a solid starting 5.

Lol, better to have the banner for a little while than not having it at all right? Maybe a new MN motto. I just ignore when I see guys mention people like Bennett, Brey, and others like that.

I'm sure he just Snap Chats recruits now. No record. Take that NCAA! I would have Sampson in my top 5 if I thought there was any chance the U would consider him, but they won't.

Last edited:

What about Lon Kruger? Oklahoma getting sick of him yet? Should have went hard after this guy years ago. He has had success everywhere he has gone. Doubt we would get him and he is getting older. I just think
it is a shame there has never been any talk of getting him here after all the coaches we have been through since Clem.

I would take him in a heartbeat. But he's not in any danger there. Already took them to a final four. Bubble this year.

1. Eric Musselman
2. Fred Hoiberg
3. Nate Oats
4. TJ Otzelberger
5. Scott Nagy

This is pretty much my list exactly, unless someone like Tony Bennett would surprisingly consider a move. (I know everyone says not happening, but how many early tourney exits at UVA would it take for him to make a change? I think he’d get better players here and could win an ncaa title).

1. Musselman
2. Oats
3. Hoiberg
4. TJ

those are my 4 guys....and I don't think really any of them are unrealistic

This is pretty much my list exactly, unless someone like Tony Bennett would surprisingly consider a move. (I know everyone says not happening, but how many early tourney exits at UVA would it take for him to make a change? I think he’d get better players here and could win an ncaa title).

That's the caveat here is that unless there's an established coach already at a high major that's willing to make a move, they would jump to the top of my list. For example, Buzz Williams from Marquette to VA Tech. I wouldn't be a huge fan of McDermott though.

What about Ben Johnson? His move to Xavier looks better and better. In theory, at least, it would provide a shot at the HC given no longer involved with prior regime.

1. Musselman
2. Oats
3. Hoiberg
4. TJ

those are my 4 guys....and I don't think really any of them are unrealistic

Oats is from the upper midwest and would be going from a mid major to a high major. Why is that not realistic?

Also fits the MO of Coyle, reaching down to get Fleck from the MAC. Also I think he hired Dino Babers at Syracuse? Also from the MAC. Wonder if Coyle knew about Oats at Buffalo, back when he was at Syracuse?

Last edited:

I would take him in a heartbeat. But he's not in any danger there. Already took them to a final four. Bubble this year.

Yep, they should have went after him when Monson was sucking. I want to say there was some talk of it years ago. He's just been a solid coach everywhere he has gone.

TJ Otzelberger - SDSU

Kalvin Sampson - Houston

Mick Cronin - Cincinnati

McDermott - Creighton

Nate Oates - Buffalo

Niko Medved - CSU

Darian DeVries - Drake

and of course,

Muss - Nevada

From this list I'd have Muss, Oates, Otzelberger, Hoiberg and Medved on my short list. I guess I'm alone on the Howland bandwagon. The U won't touch Sampson.

Bennett and Cronin are not realistic. Jacobsen and McDermott have fallen off a lot. Pass. Nagy is no spring chicken and doesn't excite me. Same for Jeff Jones. He was UVA's coach in the 90's. He must be at least 60 and hasn't moved back up in 20 years? Pass.

I wouldn't rule Hoiberg out. He's had success in the college game, and he likes the Twin Cities. Has he ever said he hates recruiting, or is that just somebody's supposition? There's something to be said for having some control over the talent you get as opposed to hoping for a ping pong ball to bounce your way.

From this list I'd have Muss, Oates, Otzelberger, Hoiberg and Medved on my short list. I guess I'm alone on the Howland bandwagon. The U won't touch Sampson.

Bennett and Cronin are not realistic. Jacobsen and McDermott have fallen off a lot. Pass. Nagy is no spring chicken and doesn't excite me. Same for Jeff Jones. He was UVA's coach in the 90's. He must be at least 60 and hasn't moved back up in 20 years? Pass.

Only one thing with Medved, and this is probably a massive reach .... he took over Colorado State after coaching at lower level programs. That's pretty similar to Tim Miles, who went on to Nebraska, and has not had much luck there. Would Medved be more of the same in Minneapolis .... ?

Top Bottom