Coaching Candidates

The reality of college basketball over the last decade or so is that coaches don't leave for non Blue Bloods. That's not a Minnesota thing, it's a college basketball thing. Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for Virginia Tech is an outlier. Florida replaced Billy Donovan with Mike White who was a successful head coach at Louisiana Tech, but never went to the NCAA tournament. That's Florida. Marquette hired a Duke assistant in Woj to replace Buzz. Wisconsin went internal to replace Bo. Iowa State hire Steve Prohm from Murray State to replace Hoiberg. Prohm hadn't been to an NCAA tournament in 3 years when he got the job. Iowa hired Fran McCaffery from Siena after an unsuccessful search. You can even look at a school like UCLA which got turned down by the same names Minnesota offered the last time around and ended up hiring Steve Alford from New Mexico.

The best chance for someone who has been successful at a high major is someone who currently doesn't have a job. Fred Hoiberg fits that model. Another name that Jeff Goodman says is considering getting back in to coaching is Thad Matta. I am not going to join the chorus claiming "no chance" for any specific coach currently coaching in a league that routinely gets multiple bids to the NCAA tournament, because any particular coach might have a situation where they want change.

You mention Buzz but not Bennett from Washington State to UVA should count. Speaking of Buzz, he will be on the move. Looks like UNLV is moving on Thad or Pitino (the winning one)

Again, it wouldn't be change for change's sake. Pitino has earned a termination and then some.

Some feel if we dont dance, Pitino should be gone no matter what. Just saying I dont agree with that. Perhaps, in Coyle's judgment, Pitino is still the man for the job. Perhaps, in Coyle's judgment, coaches who could improve our program are not available for whatever reasons. If we cant trust Coyle to this extent, then he is the one who should be fired.

That said, if we flame out this season have to admit part of me will be hoping for a coaching change, if right person is available.

The only one I'd consider outrageous is Bennett.

Other than that nothing there looks totally insane to me. Obviously most of them would require a much larger financial commitment than we may be willing to make, but if Coyle decides that we can make that commitment then I hope he at least calls a couple of them. I don't think any of them (except Bennett) would just hang up the phone if the opening line was "How would you like to be paid a top 15 salary for the next 7 years?"

We've discussed plenty that would fall into the "more realistic" category, and a few that would fall into the "backup plan" category. What's wrong with discussing a few in the "shoot for the moon" category?

No they are pretty insane especially currently

Hopkins- Guy has a top 3 recruit coming in, is already running the Pac12 and left an easy chance at replacing Boeheim because Washington was the perfect opportunity for him and his recruiting.

Cronin- Honestly shouldn't even need to said why this is insane, the only minimal argument is Big10 vs AAC. That is literally it.

Wojo- Like Hopkins zero reason to take a clearly worse job when hes got his program going in his direction finally. He's not leaving a bona fide top 10 team for next year to try and make Coffey a PG. Better recruiting resources and already able to use Minny as a resource anyways.

Buzz- Hes going UCLA or staying in the south. He's not leaving VT unless its a big time school or something closer to his texas roots. Absolutely no chance he comes back north unless hes tanked so bad its his only option.

Those 4 guys are simply 0% chances.

Change for the sake of change is absolutely the dumbest thing the U could do and to say such is the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Change for the sake of change is absolutely the dumbest thing the U could do and to say such is the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
All Pitino needs to do to keep his job is to actually recruit some guys who can shoot the ball. He only has one kid signed. That hurts his chances. He needs a stud to sign up before the season craps out so he can justify staying another year

I wasn't aware that you knew all of these coaches personally.

If they are happy where they are, with their compensation, with their relationships with the AD and donors, with their facilities, with their conference leadership, and with all other aspects of their current jobs then good for them.

I wasn't the one who brought up any of those names. I just don't think they are totally outrageous names to bring up as guys to call, even if it is just to check in or see if they think there are any candidates we should consider.

I've met 2 at clinics before and Woj took a leak in urinal next to me at an EYBL event. So I can't say I know them personally as I didn't attempt to peak at Wojo. I just listen to a lot of podcasts, read articles, have some connected friends, and watch games. Cronin I know a lot about because I follow /am a fan of the Huggins tree. Buzz I'm assuming is fine because when he isn't, he lets it be known publically. He could move and will move at some point, but it will not be for a lateral job unless you hear or read of him voicing his displeasure.

All Pitino needs to do to keep his job is to actually recruit some guys who can shoot the ball. He only has one kid signed. That hurts his chances. He needs a stud to sign up before the season craps out so he can justify staying another year

Yes, with all the thought and strategy that goes into bb games, seems like so often deciding factor is just the team that shoots 3 pointers the best that particular game. Wonder if a study has ever been done on this.

Pitino is and will be a good coach. Elite coach? Hard to say. His issue has been recruiting gaps leading to lack of depth that has led to two catastrophic seasons. Realistically this was at best a bubble team on paper at the beginning of the year. We've missed a few opportunities but the team has some talent gaps (shooting) and the PG fiasco that I certainly did not anticipate.

Talent ultimately wins. UK has 31 players in the NBA. Duke probably not far behind. Pitino needs to recruit better.

I have no interest in Otzelberger or Nagy (who coaches at home where his dad was a legend anyway). TJ is struggling to win the Summit with one of the top 10 scorers in NCAA history, pass.

One thing to kind in mind also is Coyle's history. There was a push for Claeys to be fired, he had no problem doing that and getting the hot name in Fleck everyone wanted. Some AD's would have stuck with the institution that was Lucia, he moved on and got the big name most wanted in Motzko, and we lost our womens coach and he went out and go the homerun hire in Whalen. Now, will these coaches work? Only time will tell, but to me we clearly have an AD who sees a target and has no problem making that move and sealing the deal. That does lead me to have some optimism that a Hoiberg or Muss hire is not so far fetched.

[emoji1303] Well said. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino is and will be a good coach. Elite coach? Hard to say. His issue has been recruiting gaps leading to lack of depth that has led to two catastrophic seasons. Realistically this was at best a bubble team on paper at the beginning of the year. We've missed a few opportunities but the team has some talent gaps (shooting) and the PG fiasco that I certainly did not anticipate.

Talent ultimately wins. UK has 31 players in the NBA. Duke probably not far behind. Pitino needs to recruit better.

There is little proof to suggest he is a good coach. He will never recruit at the level of the blue bloods. He must put together teams that take good shots, take care of the ball, play great defense and have high character. He is not been close on any of those things. What great talent is Greg Gard sitting on ? He is going to finish far ahead of us because he did the things mentioned above. 38-68 can not ever be spun as a good coaching job. He can become a good coach but right now he is not even a top 10 Big 10 coach.

There is little proof to suggest he is a good coach. He will never recruit at the level of the blue bloods. He must put together teams that take good shots, take care of the ball, play great defense and have high character. He is not been close on any of those things. What great talent is Greg Gard sitting on ? He is going to finish far ahead of us because he did the things mentioned above. 38-68 can not ever be spun as a good coaching job. He can become a good coach but right now he is not even a top 10 Big 10 coach.

Well said. I might also add that saying he is not among the top 10 coaches in the conference might be a wee bit generous. I look at Steve Pikiell. That is a guy leading a program that has been in the crapper for decades (last tournament appearance 1991). He really doesn't have a lot of talent but he has that team playing tough defense. The team is mostly made up of role players but he has 10 guys playing 14 or more minutes per game and he's getting contributions throughout his lineup - something Pitino hasn't managed to do throughout his time here.

Yes, with all the thought and strategy that goes into bb games, seems like so often deciding factor is just the team that shoots 3 pointers the best that particular game. Wonder if a study has ever been done on this.

Sadly the game has evolved to the 3 point shot, even more evident in the boring nba game. Fundamentals have taken a backseat to iso ball and athleticism.

Sadly the game has evolved to the 3 point shot, even more evident in the boring nba game. Fundamentals have taken a backseat to iso ball and athleticism.

Agree. I sometimes wonder if it would be a more enjoyable game without the three point line. Would like to see an exhibition game played without it.

Agree. I sometimes wonder if it would be a more enjoyable game without the three point line. Would like to see an exhibition game played without it.

Didn't they put it in because the game had become too one-dimensional, with huge post players getting easy baskets?

There must be a way to strike a balance. Maybe you keep moving the 3pt line out farther, even if it means no basket to the sides count for 3pt.

I think you give Pitino one more year. For the most part, Pitino has had 2 great seasons (NIT and NCAA Tournament) and 3 awful seasons. This season, we were barely even projected to be on the bubble. Right now, we are square on the bubble. The team did not collapse this year like our other three bad seasons, so this is unchartered territory for Pitino. The team did not exceed or fall short of expectations. Seems strange to fire him after that.

I find it funny that the same people demanding Pitino to go out and get a great recruit are also the same people who want him fired. Pretty hard to recruit someone when you are on the hot seat. Note: I'm not saying that posts on this message board are holding Pitino back, just pointing out that the strange disconnect.

Anyways, the Gophers will add Marcus Carr, Peyton Willis and Tre Williams next season. It's not like we are only brining one player in. Those three could be great additions to the backcourt.

Firing Pitino could unleash a cataclysmic event. What if the NCAAs relax the transfer rules this offseason and Kalscheur or Oturu or the three guys I mentioned above jump ship? Do we really want to risk that?

Seems to me the best play here is to give Pitino one more year to solidify his program as a Top 8 B1G team. If he can do that and earn some job security, maybe he can knock the 2020 class out of the park and we are then poised to be a B1G contender

I think you give Pitino one more year. For the most part, Pitino has had 2 great seasons (NIT and NCAA Tournament) and 3 awful seasons. This season, we were barely even projected to be on the bubble. Right now, we are square on the bubble. The team did not collapse this year like our other three bad seasons, so this is unchartered territory for Pitino. The team did not exceed or fall short of expectations. Seems strange to fire him after that.

I find it funny that the same people demanding Pitino to go out and get a great recruit are also the same people who want him fired. Pretty hard to recruit someone when you are on the hot seat. Note: I'm not saying that posts on this message board are holding Pitino back, just pointing out that the strange disconnect.

Anyways, the Gophers will add Marcus Carr, Peyton Willis and Tre Williams next season. It's not like we are only brining one player in. Those three could be great additions to the backcourt.

Firing Pitino could unleash a cataclysmic event. What if the NCAAs relax the transfer rules this offseason and Kalscheur or Oturu or the three guys I mentioned above jump ship? Do we really want to risk that?

Seems to me the best play here is to give Pitino one more year to solidify his program as a Top 8 B1G team. If he can do that and earn some job security, maybe he can knock the 2020 class out of the park and we are then poised to be a B1G contender
I would love it if this panned out. I'm just not convinced, after a 6 year audition, that it will pan out.
I wouldn't blow a gasket if Pitino was given another year. I will be frustrated if we keep failing to recruit people who can shoot. We are watching the enigmatic results of having good athletes who are sketchy shooters.

I would love it if this panned out. I'm just not convinced, after a 6 year audition, that it will pan out.
I wouldn't blow a gasket if Pitino was given another year. I will be frustrated if we keep failing to recruit people who can shoot. We are watching the enigmatic results of having good athletes who are sketchy shooters.
We did recruit Kalscheur. But yeah I get your overall point. But recruiting guys based solely on shooting hasn't really worked out for Pitino either. Jamir Harris was recruited for his shooting and Pitino practically advised him to transfer.

But yeah if we add another shooter to this recruiting class it can go a long ways

You call those 2 great seasons ? I call them ok.

You call those 2 great seasons ? I call them ok.

I'm talking about expectations wise.. most people had the Gophers finishing 12th in the B1G in the 2016-2017 season... They finished with a #5 seed in the NCAA Tournament that year

Pitino won B1G coach of the year during his NIT season, which is a pretty objective metric to measure a coach's season

If you give Pitino one more year, it really is two because a new coach after next year would have a tough in with the class of 2020. 2020 is too important. Either fire Pitino this year or keep for at least 2.

I'm talking about expectations wise.. most people had the Gophers finishing 12th in the B1G in the 2016-2017 season... They finished with a #5 seed in the NCAA Tournament that year

Pitino won B1G coach of the year during his NIT season, which is a pretty objective metric to measure a coach's season

Certainly entitled your opinion. He can still win one more year right now but as of now i can not get past 38-68 and never even coming close to a conference title. This team may very well finish 5 games or more behind UW . Remember , there were zero fans on here who could have imagined that. Again, 38-68 is a mark that 100's of coaches would have surpassed.

So logical and makes perfect sense but in the end I just don't think it will matter.

This isn't necessarily true. Kids now are more skilled fundamentally skilled shooters and ball handlers than ever. Positionless basketball has led to kids of all sizes being taught all skills. Post games have dwindled, but that's because statistics don't prove that it's not efficient. Also ball screen ISO ball offenses are taking back seats to more open and spread motion offenses reliant on good passing and cutting

As I said at the end of last year, the time to make a move was then. If we had done that, we'd be in the NCAA tournament this year and whoever the new coach was would have some momentum. Instead we waited. Now you are trying to hire a coach for a program that is losing it's best player and is coming off not one, but two horrible seasons.

Musselman was willing to interview for Cal last year, will he interview at Minnesota after raising his profile further this season? It's a moot point if either UCLA or Arizona wants him anyways. Hopefully, Coyle has a plan because the job is less attractive on paper than it was a year ago and there is more competition in the marketplace.

Top Bottom