Signature of the Pitino Era

And ironically, Amir's best shot at the NBA is not at point guard (he has no shot), but rather at small forward. He needs to be a Bruce Bowen type SF shut down defender, rebounder, make a decent % 3's. I don't see any of those traits to his game right now.

Yep, 3 and D small forward. Always room for them in the professional ranks. He should have been trying to emulate Robert Covington or the player you mentioned.

If we have to ask, it does not exist. Even northwestern has won a ****ing tournament game since Pitino has been coach.

A whole bunch of out of state recruits think the barn is a dump as well. Plus when they take their visits elsewhere they see a whole bunch of success. The coach thing comes up all the time because he is the most important part in being a winner.

That I don't get, I haven't been to many arena's but Crysler Arena would be my definition of a dump, I couldn't imagine a worse basketball house, I have to believe it has more to do with winning and the game experience it creates.

What I seem to observe is that when we get a top ranked Minnesota recruit, the recruit seems to fizzle. (Amir Coffey).

When we miss on a MN recruit, the kid goes on to do great things.

One exception being Isaiah Dalhman who fizzled at MSU. But most others go someplace else and generally meet expectations.

What I seem to observe is that when we get a top ranked Minnesota recruit, the recruit seems to fizzle. (Amir Coffey).

When we miss on a MN recruit, the kid goes on to do great things.

One exception being Isaiah Dalhman who fizzled at MSU. But most others go someplace else and generally meet expectations.

Not going to list a bunch of names but I bet you can find a bunch of cases of kids going to other places and not meeting expectations

During his introductory press conference, Pitino told the story of telling his dad that Florida was eating up Louisville's zone defense and that they needed to change it up. Where is that attitude during any one game of ours? Try a zone or three-quarter zone press, something. Worse thing that happens is that Michigan hits a three. The only thing Pitino tries is playing Stull who has no business being out there. Possibly set up some plays for Gabe to get an open look? Our offensive game plan should have bee flipped when looking at the two halves (feed the post in 1st half to open up shooters in 2nd).

Pitino has been exactly like Tubby - never makes an adjustment and has not set plays (especially in-bound plays).

During his introductory press conference, Pitino told the story of telling his dad that Florida was eating up Louisville's zone defense and that they needed to change it up. Where is that attitude during any one game of ours? Try a zone or three-quarter zone press, something. Worse thing that happens is that Michigan hits a three. The only thing Pitino tries is playing Stull who has no business being out there. Possibly set up some plays for Gabe to get an open look? Our offensive game plan should have bee flipped when looking at the two halves (feed the post in 1st half to open up shooters in 2nd).

Pitino has been exactly like Tubby - never makes an adjustment and has not set plays (especially in-bound plays).

Pitino ran numerous types of defense his first couple years. The issue has always been how bad they've been in the halfcourt (mainly with screens, and off ball positioning). I was really hoping that Jeter would help fix this. I think off ball positioning and movement has improved, but not so much on on ball screens.

Offensively, Pitino's actions and sets are years ahead of Tubby's. We are running very similar hi low stuff that Kansas runs. The x's and o's part is not my issue as we get open looks quite often. The parts and pieces can be a different discussion, but the "bones" of the offense are just fine

Last night we stood around the perimeter watching way too much. We moved so well in the IU game. Can't believe that game was only one game ago.

Last night we stood around the perimeter watching way too much. We moved so well in the IU game. Can't believe that game was only one game ago.

Indiana had to guard our 3 point makers, Michigan didn't have to guard our 3 point shooters. Michigan sat 6-8 ft off the guy they were guarding and went under every screen because we don't have anyone who can come off a screen and consistently make a 3 point shot.

That I don't get, I haven't been to many arena's but Crysler Arena would be my definition of a dump, I couldn't imagine a worse basketball house, I have to believe it has more to do with winning and the game experience it creates.

Totally agree. If Williams Arena is a dump, other historic old buildings are dumps, too, including Cameron Indoor, right? If not, why not? Serious question.

This sounds like more excuse making to me. I think the old Barn would be looking pretty good to recruits if it were loud and packed and the Gophers were contending for conference championships. I'm not arguing keeping the place purely for the sake of nostalgia; I'd be cool with a new building and more fan amenities including indoor plumbing on the upper level. I'm just not convinced that spending tens of millions dollars for the new car smell would cure the ills of this program.

Totally agree. If Williams Arena is a dump, other historic old buildings are dumps, too, including Cameron Indoor, right? If not, why not? Serious question.

This sounds like more excuse making to me. I think the old Barn would be looking pretty good to recruits if it were loud and packed and the Gophers were contending for conference championships. I'm not arguing keeping the place purely for the sake of nostalgia; I'd be cool with a new building and more fan amenities including indoor plumbing on the upper level. I'm just not convinced that spending tens of millions dollars for the new car smell would cure the ills of this program.

I love the barn, I'm saying what kids are saying. Does it mean we get a new arena, absolutely not. We need to find other ways to make it charming and have some meaning to local kids. Winning of course will be the best cure because then the place will be filled. I've shared my point about the state tournament being played there would help. Pitino has done a significantly better job treating high schools better too with his camps and allowing coaches to practice. Tubby pissed everybody off. The U needs to back off it's outrageous prices for events and get more people playing there. The Target Center has HS teams playing games there for basically nothing. They have kids sell 10 Twolves tickets for 10 bucks each. MN kids want to play there and like it there more because of the exposure to it and it being a goal to get there in high school. It isn't cause the Wolves are good.

Top Bottom