Signature of the Pitino Era

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
Lose a big home game. Over and over. Every time there is any momentum and fans want to get back in it, they lay an egg. Our home record under Pitino is despicable and my number one complaint against him. This performance in this game was so unbelievably pathetic. I have no more words. Except to say Amir Coffey is embarrassing to watch right now. OK, that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been a Pitino supporter but......Coffey and Washington are the combination that is going to lose Pitino his job. His inability to draw the best out of IW caused him to make the horrid mistake of putting the ball in the hands of a ball stopper. Coffey never does anything without the ball in his hands and plays defense when he wants to and is an overall selfish player in my view. He has great ability but he is not a team player. The fact that this has happened is on Pitino.

Maybe he somehow wins the games needed to stay- heaven knows the opportunities are still there- I just no longer will be sorry to see him go if he doesn't.

I have been a Pitino supporter but......Coffey and Washington are the combination that is going to lose Pitino his job. His inability to draw the best out of IW caused him to make the horrid mistake of putting the ball in the hands of a ball stopper. Coffey never does anything without the ball in his hands and plays defense when he wants to and is an overall selfish player in my view. He has great ability but he is not a team player. The fact that this has happened is on Pitino.

Maybe he somehow wins the games needed to stay- heaven knows the opportunities are still there- I just no longer will be sorry to see him go if he doesn't.

Richard, if you've lost Beeg, you've lost Gophernation.

I wonder why MN kids don’t want to come here?

Welcome to the dark side.

Well, may I give you a hearty and sincere "WELCOME ABOARD!!"

I agree 100% about Coffey and, frankly, I'm not particularly excited about watching him next year. I don't agree that we have much in the way of remaining opportunities. I suspect they'll manage to play well enough to beat NW but, based on prior meetings, I see little chance of them beating Maryland or Purdue. On paper they have a fair chance of beating Rutgers but Rutgers is tough defensively on the inside where the Gophers now appear to have their only real strengths.

I wonder why MN kids don’t want to come here?

Recruiting is so tough. Kids mostly pick the best coach they think they are getting but that horrible conference record and lack of NBA development limits the chances. Kids that leave the state are picking better coaches, better programs.

Recruiting is so tough. Kids mostly pick the best coach they think they are getting but that horrible conference record and lack of NBA development limits the chances. Kids that leave the state are picking better coaches, better programs.

Thank you. I hate how everyone talks about how depth and keeping all MN kids is easy. Agreed, some MN kids leave because of a fit with the staff and the NBA thing is huge, but there's are some other program issues as well that don't get brought up enough. Kids leave because the atmosphere at the barn isn't great, the local media does no favors either with their continued negativity, and some just really want the college town feel. The U is also not intelligent either as I stated earlier about working with the state tournament. They are way more expensive than the target center. They need to get the boys tournament all there at Marriuci and Williams. There is no envy to play there and they'd all like the Target Center more.

Lose a big home game. Over and over. Every time there is any momentum and fans want to get back in it, they lay an egg. Our home record under Pitino is despicable and my number one complaint against him. This performance in this game was so unbelievably pathetic. I have no more words. Except to say Amir Coffey is embarrassing to watch right now. OK, that’s it.

I emailed a friend of mine leading up to this game who is a long time season ticket holder. I said that if we had more success it would be funny that Pitino's biggest home win (#6 Maryland) came during arguably the worst season of Gopher basketball in program history. I stated that his was probably the biggest game of his career and it wasn't asking that much to win a home game against a team that had lost on the road to Wisconsin, Iowa, and Penn State. I also stated that I had no confidence in Pitino doing so because of his prior history in games like this. I really feel bad for those of you who either have season tickets or spend a lot of time/money to attend something that is so consistently disappointing. I get mad at myself for spending 2 hours watching them play, I can't imagine making the 4 hour commitment and the likely ~$100 a game/night expense to watch what we've been subjected to not just under Pitino, but really since Clem. Somehow this program has pretty consistently been top 25 in the nation in attendance despite putting out such a terrible product. I've said this before, but a sincere hats off to those of you who continue to go and make noise. If I lived in the Twin Cities, I am not sure I could do it. Hopefully all of you are rewarded with a product that reflects your dedication and passion sooner rather than later.

Thank you. I hate how everyone talks about how depth and keeping all MN kids is easy. Agreed, some MN kids leave because of a fit with the staff and the NBA thing is huge, but there's are some other program issues as well that don't get brought up enough. Kids leave because the atmosphere at the barn isn't great, the local media does no favors either with their continued negativity, and some just really want the college town feel. The U is also not intelligent either as I stated earlier about working with the state tournament. They are way more expensive than the target center. They need to get the boys tournament all there at Marriuci and Williams. There is no envy to play there and they'd all like the Target Center more.

We would have a great home atmosphere if we had a coach winning conference titles, it would not matter if the players came from the state. When you have a great coach it does not matter much who graduates from your program because that great coach keeps recruiting players that fit the system and the culture and then you start getting even better players. You never shortcut on character, ever.

We would have a great home atmosphere if we had a coach winning conference titles, it would not matter if the players came from the state. When you have a great coach it does not matter much who graduates from your program because that great coach keeps recruiting players that fit the system and the culture and then you start getting even better players. You never shortcut on character, ever.

Kids hate playing at Williams and think it's a dump. There is no aoura to playing there. Make it a state tournament destination for the whole tournament and see more kids appreciate it. I'm not arguing the coach part of this equation, just saying other things that could be improved with the program. I get bored with only talking about the coach as the only issue

Kids hate playing at Williams and think it's a dump. There is no aoroua to playing there. Make it a state tournament destination for the whole tournament and see more kids appreciate it. I'm not arguing the coach part of this equation, just saying other things that could be improved with the program. I get bored with only talking about the coach as the only issue
A whole bunch of out of state recruits think the barn is a dump as well. Plus when they take their visits elsewhere they see a whole bunch of success. The coach thing comes up all the time because he is the most important part in being a winner.

A whole bunch of out of state recruits think the barn is a dump as well. Plus when they take their visits elsewhere they see a whole bunch of success. The coach thing comes up all the time because he is the most important part in being a winner.

I obviously didn't say it clearly enough. Yes the coach is obviously the most important part. I believe there are plenty of other things as well that make this job harder than we like to think. I also was offering one solution that I thínk would help us with in state guys.

I obviously didn't say it clearly enough. Yes the coach is obviously the most important part. I believe there are plenty of other things as well that make this job harder than we like to think. I also was offering one solution that I thínk would help us with in state guys.

Have always thought that Williams was the best place for the state tourney. But for two generations of kids now staying home in any state is a myth. ESPN, AAU. team camps have exposed so many options for kids. Virginia produces a ton of talent, more than Minnesota and no one stays home, he gets his players from everywhere, even right out of North Carolina. UW has a terrible time keeping the best instate kids home. Check out rosters, these kids are from all over.

I guess I don't get this. Players spend what, 2-4 hours a week at Williams, with multiple hours more practicing, watching video, implementing game plans, eating and otherwise relaxing in the gorgeous, palatial Athletes Village? I've been in the locker room facilities in Williams and they're very nice, not like an NBA locker room, but most definitely not a dump. I can't believe they have such a viscerally negative reaction to The Barn when they're barely ever there.

I guess I don't get this. Players spend what, 2-4 hours a week at Williams, with multiple hours more practicing, watching video, implementing game plans, eating and otherwise relaxing in the gorgeous, palatial Athletes Village? I've been in the locker room facilities in Williams and they're very nice, not like an NBA locker room, but most definitely not a dump. I can't believe they have such a viscerally negative reaction to The Barn when they're barely ever there.

Have you seen the facilities, the living quarters at other places ? Have you been to a game day environment at other places and when your hosted by a cool coach who wins a lot ! Then it may be in a far better climate, a more prestigous school, swarms of more beautiful young women. Lots of reasons to pick schools. FYI, shooting alone our guys better be in Williams more than 2-4 hours a week. I know of dozens of kids who find Williams a dump compared to what they see elsewhere, not my words, theirs.

I turned off the game with about 10 minutes to go.

I'm better off with out the frustration.

Why not mix things up Pitino?

Amir would be amazing at the top of a 1-3-1 zone,

hell, do anything, other than lay back and get your ass kicked.

a new play or two, an out of bounds play that can get a layup.

How about a 2-3 zone when defending out of bounds plays?

Anything.

P.S. Get Gabe the god damned ball if Amir is 0-10.

Have always thought that Williams was the best place for the state tourney. But for two generations of kids now staying home in any state is a myth. ESPN, AAU. team camps have exposed so many options for kids. Virginia produces a ton of talent, more than Minnesota and no one stays home, he gets his players from everywhere, even right out of North Carolina. UW has a terrible time keeping the best instate kids home. Check out rosters, these kids are from all over.

You and I are in agreement and I am not saying we need just MN kids, because it's unrealistic like you pointed out. I was just offering a solution to making MN more enviable to local kids. Obviously a successful coach with a track record of winning, developing players to a path to the NBA will be the best solution. I just know what I heard from kids and what they state publically.

It has to do with not winning. Period. If you are not mid 30s or older and been here for Clem or some of the others before before him, you have only known gopher basketball as poor and dissappointing. If you win, they will come no matter what arena they play in.

It has to do with not winning. Period. If you are not mid 30s or older and been here for Clem or some of the others before before him, you have only known gopher basketball as poor and dissappointing. If you win, they will come no matter what arena they play in.

Boom ! I used to go to UW games in the old fieldhouse and there were times when crowds were 5000-7000. ,Then they hired great coaches, packed that one, paid cash on a new one and filled that as well. Donations tripled. Hiring the right coach was the only thing that mattered.

People and players don’t care about what they sit or play in. Nebraska has a beautiful arena and facility. Does that matter for them? Nope! They still suck as always and have marginal players and fan suppport.

The PG fiasco has been a disaster. Pitino needed to turn the keys over to IW from Day 1 this season. Had he done that, IW would have improved and the team would have had some semblance of an identify by now. This has nothing to do whether IW is a perfect or even above average PG--it has to do with team identity. Instead, IW's confidence is destroyed and the current collection of PGs can't create plays or get open looks and the wild crap in the lane is just painful to watch.

I suppose it could be better next year but with this team one can never project success.

In fairness to Pitino, his road record is also despicable.

The PG fiasco has been a disaster. Pitino needed to turn the keys over to IW from Day 1 this season. Had he done that, IW would have improved and the team would have had some semblance of an identify by now. This has nothing to do whether IW is a perfect or even above average PG--it has to do with team identity. Instead, IW's confidence is destroyed and the current collection of PGs can't create plays or get open looks and the wild crap in the lane is just painful to watch.

I suppose it could be better next year but with this team one can never project success.

but that didn't fit Richard's (Coffey's) vision of how Amir was going to carry the team as a playmaker from the point guard position

but that didn't fit Richard's (Coffey's) vision of how Amir was going to carry the team as a playmaker from the point guard position

I do believe that Richard has influenced Amir's role on the team, and that would certainly go back to the recruitment process. The question in my mind is why. Does Richard really think that this is best for his alma mater's basketball team, or is it and always been about getting his son to the NBA? Surely someone like him, who played on such a cohesive team himself, knows how important it is to have functional and realistic roles and stick to them.

I do believe that Richard has influenced Amir's role on the team, and that would certainly go back to the recruitment process. The question in my mind is why. Does Richard really think that this is best for his alma mater's basketball team, or is it and always been about getting his son to the NBA? Surely someone like him, who played on such a cohesive team himself, knows how important it is to have functional and realistic roles and stick to them.

And ironically, Amir's best shot at the NBA is not at point guard (he has no shot), but rather at small forward. He needs to be a Bruce Bowen type SF shut down defender, rebounder, make a decent % 3's. I don't see any of those traits to his game right now.

Top Bottom