I've Seen Enough

Lol you should put some on with your negativity.
I think the Oturo, Gabe, Omersa, Carr, and Willis class was good and shows direction. I also think Williams and Ihnen will be fine. We have Mashburn Jr. who defends and plays smart from reports as well as a late bloomer in Mitchell. How is that maroon glasses by thinking those are good classes?
I like those classes for the most part but still stick by my post, and feel like we have failed to bring in really good (not just average) shooters. We are not a good shooting team and that is what we are built to do this year. In defense of coach Pitino, I’m sure he thought Gabe, Willis, and Demir would be good shooters this season, and he had some history to back up his hope. It just hasn’t worked out so far. I would love to admit I’m wrong after they go on a shooting tear, win their last six games, and make the tourney. While I love Omersa’s great energy and athleticism, at 6’6” you just can’t afford to put a guy out there who can’t compete in a game of horse. At 6’11” it is a different story. I also don’t see Williams as a shooter, though he does other things well. Maybe he will be the exception to the rule and develop into one. They usually are what they are by the time they get to college.

I'm open to doing it before the season ends at this point.
Won't happen then. However believe it will happen at the end of the season. I'm sure Coyles is accessing the situation as the season wears on. Feel bad as I do like our coach as a person. For some reason just not connecting the dots here.

I like those classes for the most part but still stick by my post, and feel like we have failed to bring in really good (not just average) shooters. We are not a good shooting team and that is what we are built to do this year. In defense of coach Pitino, I’m sure he thought Gabe, Willis, and Demir would be good shooters this season, and he had some history to back up his hope. It just hasn’t worked out so far. I would love to admit I’m wrong after they go on a shooting tear, win their last six games, and make the tourney. While I love Omersa’s great energy and athleticism, at 6’6” you just can’t afford to put a guy out there who can’t compete in a game of horse. At 6’11” it is a different story. I also don’t see Williams as a shooter, though he does other things well. Maybe he will be the exception to the rule and develop into one. They usually are what they are by the time they get to college.

This team is better offensively than last years by most metrics (KenPom mainly). College game has places for guys who defend, rebound, and take care of the ball. The “shooters” we’ve gotten haven’t worked out. We can agree there as my list showed earlier. Having multiple guys that shoot a high percentage from 3 is hard. Those recruits are plucked by blue bloods or they are too deficient in other areas and play low major or mid major ball.

I gave up on Pitino and dropped season tickets 4 years ago. Way past time to fire him. Some (maybe many) of us will come back with a competent coach who give us real hope.

I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago. I could not get my Nephews to come to the games with me. Coyle has demonstrated he wants winning coaches so it's hard to imagine he will not look to make a change.

I was okay with not having a stellar season this year due to the number of newcomers we had to the roster, as long as there was improvement and upwards trajectory going into the end of the season. That said....

The effort in this game was absolutely appalling. Indiana has been an absolute train wreck in road games, and to lose to them on the Gophers' home floor by double digits is atrocious and should not have happened.

Dude. Get your nose out of the spreadsheets.
And read How To Lie With Statistics. They still have that as part of the syllabus for Statistics 1001, right?

Dude. Get your nose out of the spreadsheets.
Lol sorry I enjoy using data because it doesn’t carry as much bias. I’d love to see what type of work you do. Hopefully nothing that requires analytics.

Lol sorry I enjoy using data because it doesn’t carry as much bias. I’d love to see what type of work you do. Hopefully nothing that requires analytics.
Do you believe this year's team is better offensively than last year's?

Do you believe this year's team is better offensively than last year's?

They are more efficient so yes. Until the last two games they also shot it a higher percentage as well in all 3 categories if you'd prefer more simple statistics.

Whatever your opinion of Kenpom is, last year the Gophers had an adjustedO of 111.4 and this year it's 109.5
The recent stretch has dropped it. I will still bet with the remaining schedule that it ends up higher than last years, but who knows may continue to shoot like they did tonight.

You need data (and analysis) AND you need human intuition. You need both. You can’t rely on only one or the other.

And read How To Lie With Statistics. They still have that as part of the syllabus for Statistics 1001, right?
Statistics are fine. What I object to is defending losing records by saying it's too hard to bring in good players. That's pretty much the definition of a losing mentality.

I started this thread almost exactly a year ago, and I'm back to feeling the same way. If anything, maybe the Gophers will go on a run like they did at the end of last season.

Terrible offense, especially down the stretch. Please hire Craig Smith.

Out of curiosity I dug up this thread that was now started 2 years ago, just to see that very little has changed.

Obviously a disappointing second year for him at UNLV. But the MWC is a damn tough conference. Also no idea what their roster situation was, and if it took a hit from covid and/or injuries.

Your OP says we should hire TJ Otzelberger. :sneaky:

Two years ago I did want Oats first, who is doing really well at Alabama. I wanted Otzleberger second, but I have cooled on him after he’s struggled at UNLV.

Last year when I dug this thread up I wanted Smith. That has not changed.

Your OP says we should hire TJ Otzelberger. :sneaky:
Way to miss the point.

A ham sandwich as coach would be OK, it's not Richard Pitino.

Effing try SOMEthing. Years wasted now by refusing to accept reality.

Way to miss the point.

That is the point. The players have changed, the results have not.

It's the same excuses, injuries and bad luck. We've seen too many years of this.

Way to miss the point.

I was just giving GWG crap.

He's been vocal and consistent on support Smith for quite some time.

Top Bottom