I've Seen Enough

Have never understood the unending love-affair folks have with Richard.

Was willing to roll with him "learning on the job" when he was hired due to his age.

Where has that led?

Seven years, an overall record of 124-106 (46-76 in conference), consistent lack of depth, consistent lack of coherent offensive attack, consistent lower division finishes in the conference.

Honestly, if his last name wasn't Pitino, he likely would have been shown the door already.

As it stands, I suspect Coyle will keep him until the end of the year at least. After that, it's anyone's guess.

Its actually 46-78....He should have been fired a couple of years ago....Coyle struck gold with fleck and would love for that to happen again.

It might work to fire Pitino- long term. But if you do it- expect a dumpster fire year next year. This is a tough program to get moving. I have felt that he had it slowly moving in a positive direction but it can't be argued that firing is not an option at this point. Just expect another 2-3 year trough. See Nebraska, see Indiana, even Illinois took a few rough years. Meanwhile, Chambers is finally righting the ship at PSU 8 years in.
Then we should never make a change. This will be true next year, and the next year, and the next year.

If it's not working, you need to take your lumps associated with moving on. That doesn't guarantee we will hire the right replacement, but this is not working here.

If we'd started the B1G season 2-5, I'd have been in favor of making a move. No point now.
I really dislike in-season fires in general, you're stuck with an interim who isn't going to make anything better anyway.

I really dislike in-season fires in general, you're stuck with an interim who isn't going to make anything better anyway.
It doesn't make anything better. It stops having to watch a death march though. After Wednesday, we only have two more home games though.

Ok lets clear up a few things "we have two FOUR STAR recruits coming in, we cant fire Pitino, they will for sure leave!" Mashburn is a consensus 4 star sure, but hes at the end of that line. This isn't a kid we beat out Kent, duke, hell even texas, Stanford or Xavier for. Mitchell is a consensus 3 star who's other offers include George Mason and Colorado state. So let's not act like we have Zion and RJ Barret coming in. Next, who's to say a different coach doesnt bring in better players?

I agree with the list above. You 100% absolutely need to make sure Beilein isnt out in CLE, if he isnt guys listed above make sense. I would also add Ben Jacobsen to the list. Pretty steady winner and has great connections in the MN/WI area.

Holy fuck, STFU!!! He could win out from here, and then you'd of all had him fired. WOW

We are playing in the toughest deepest conference in the nation and it's not even close, with the shortest bench in the conf(which I understand is his fault). Hey, if the U admin can bring in a home run hire to replace him, fine, then do it. I've been a supporter of Pitino from the beginning, partly because he was young and I saw the possibility of a legacy coach in him. He's shown flashes of brilliance, he's given us hope with great rosters that have been dogged by injuries mostly, but also an early exit by Coffey, and Lynch's bs. Any news on that? Is he rotting in jail now because he was proven guilty, or was he exonerated and no one talks about it anymore because he's no longer on the team so no one cares and they'd love to blame Pitino for that?

This team is young. I'd like to see how they do in 2021 and 2022, granted Oturu might not even come back next year much less 2022, but still.

Now what I said still stands, I fully support Pitino, but if a homerun hire is out there, that for sure wants to come here and stay for awhile, and is available, then AFTER the season, IF the team fails to win enough, then lets do it, lets cut our ties and move on.

So who is this homerun hire???

Holy fuck, STFU!!! He could win out from here, and then you'd of all had him fired. WOW

We are playing in the toughest deepest conference in the nation and it's not even close, with the shortest bench in the conf(which I understand is his fault). Hey, if the U admin can bring in a home run hire to replace him, fine, then do it. I've been a supporter of Pitino from the beginning, partly because he was young and I saw the possibility of a legacy coach in him. He's shown flashes of brilliance, he's given us hope with great rosters that have been dogged by injuries mostly, but also an early exit by Coffey, and Lynch's bs. Any news on that? Is he rotting in jail now because he was proven guilty, or was he exonerated and no one talks about it anymore because he's no longer on the team so no one cares and they'd love to blame Pitino for that?

This team is young. I'd like to see how they do in 2021 and 2022, granted Oturu might not even come back next year much less 2022, but still.

Now what I said still stands, I fully support Pitino, but if a homerun hire is out there, that for sure wants to come here and stay for awhile, and is available, then AFTER the season, IF the team fails to win enough, then lets do it, lets cut our ties and move on.

STFU.

46-78 in 7 years is pathetic....Tubby got fired with a better B10 record....The program can and must do better.

You both are ignoring his question, who is the home run hire would for sure come here and do better immediately?

I largely agree, should not make a move just for the sake of making a move. If someone better is willing to come here, go for it. But I don't see many likely candidates who would come here and win immediately.

I largely agree, should not make a move just for the sake of making a move. If someone better is willing to come here, go for it. But I don't see many likely candidates who would come here and win immediately.

Can only speak for myself, but it isn't necessarily about winning immediately. It's about progression of the program and you'd be very hard pressed to sell the idea that things are improving or moving upwards under Pitino. At best, their wheels are spinning without traction.

You both are ignoring his question, who is the home run hire would for sure come here and do better immediately?
No team is ever guaranteed a home run hire....If every program used that criteria u would never see a coach get fired.....Programs need a change after awhile...a new voice, new leadership and a new direction....The program is stale and is not improving after 7 years.

Such a dumb question to ask "Who is the home run hire who would for sure come and do better immediately"? Literally nobody is a guarantee and that's the same EVERYWHERE not just "here". The vast majority of people thought Jim Harbaugh would be an absolute home run hire for Michigan football: he was an alum, had coached in a Super Bowl, had huge success at Stanford...and they are still waiting for their first win over Ohio State.

What we do know is that Richard Pitino won't win "here". He has the worst conference record of any coach at Minnesota in at least 50 years (maybe ever, not going to look it up to deal with this nonsense). Seven years ago we decided that 3 NCAA's in 6 years was not good enough for Tubby Smith without a practice facility and with Joe Coleman being the biggest recruit the state produced over a 4 year span during his tenure. Now we should suddenly be ok with 2 tournaments in 7 years with new facilities and multiple top 100 local kids virtually every season? GTFO. It's incredibly likely that whoever coaches the Gophers next will have a better conference record through 7 years than Richard Pitino. Dan Monson managed to clear that bar with tournament bans and scholarship limitations.

Literally no B1G school would trade coaches with Minnesota right now. That is instructive.

I dont know who the HR hire is. It's not my job. I DO know Pitino wasnt a HR hire, that's the important question.

And BTW, nobody is going to come here and do better immediately. You have once again missed the question.

I dont know who the HR hire is. It's not my job. I DO know Pitino wasnt a HR hire, that's the important question.

And BTW, nobody is going to come here and do better immediately. You have once again missed the question.
So you want to fire the coach for the sake of firing him, then have 2 seasons worst than this one.

Got it loud and clear boss!

Beilien might be the only sure "HR". But hiring someone who can do better than 46-78 isn't hard. I'd say all 7 I put on the list above can achieve that. And probably a few others.

Such a dumb question to ask "Who is the home run hire who would for sure come and do better immediately"? Literally nobody is a guarantee and that's the same EVERYWHERE not just "here". The vast majority of people thought Jim Harbaugh would be an absolute home run hire for Michigan football: he was an alum, had coached in a Super Bowl, had huge success at Stanford...and they are still waiting for their first win over Ohio State.

What we do know is that Richard Pitino won't win "here". He has the worst conference record of any coach at Minnesota in at least 50 years (maybe ever, not going to look it up to deal with this nonsense). Seven years ago we decided that 3 NCAA's in 6 years was not good enough for Tubby Smith without a practice facility and with Joe Coleman being the biggest recruit the state produced over a 4 year span during his tenure. Now we should suddenly be ok with 2 tournaments in 7 years with new facilities and multiple top 100 local kids virtually every season? GTFO. It's incredibly likely that whoever coaches the Gophers next will have a better conference record through 7 years than Richard Pitino. Dan Monson managed to clear that bar with tournament bans and scholarship limitations.

Literally no B1G school would trade coaches with Minnesota right now. That is instructive.
So well said. Thank you! With less than 2 minutes left today with and 8 point lead we lose> I blame coaching!

Pretty much the same. Sure we could make a run again. But I don't see a 5-1 run in this team or a BTT run.

Short list:

John Boehlein
Craig Smith
Shaka Smart
Mike Brey
Eric Musselman
LaVall Jordan
Niko Medved

Yep, another year and more of the same. The two I brought up last year were Musselman and Brian Dutcher. Missed the Musselman window with him being grabbed by ARK, and Dutcher has the Aztecs at 25-0 and top 5.

The U needs to go hard at Dutcher. He will land at a big program after this season.

Yep, another year and more of the same. The two I brought up last year were Musselman and Brian Dutcher. Missed the Musselman window with him being grabbed by ARK, and Dutcher has the Aztecs at 25-0 and top 5.

The U needs to go hard at Dutcher. He will land at a big program after this season.

Either Brian Dutcher or Craig Smith. I think Craig will be easier to get at the end of the year between the two, and I like him just as much, if not more.

Dutcher is already 60 and from what I have heard, has little desire to leave the San Diego area, where he has lived for over 20 years.

Dutcher is already 60 and from what I have heard, has little desire to leave the San Diego area, where he has lived for over 20 years.
Couldn't care less that he's 60. With what the U can pay him, he can keep his place in SD and have a nice place here. Go get him.

Couldn't care less that he's 60. With what the U can pay him, he can keep his place in SD and have a nice place here. Go get him.

You may not care, but it matters, especially since this is only his 3rd year as a head coach. Having a house in San Diego and living there permanently are two different things. I don't think he'll go anywhere unless a big school in the Pac 12 wants him, but I think that is a long shot.

You may not care, but it matters, especially since this is only his 3rd year as a head coach. Having a house in San Diego and living there permanently are two different things. I don't think he'll go anywhere unless a big school in the Pac 12 wants him.

Totally agree, you can tell he is very invested in the school as well. It's not like he just went there a few years ago, and has been jumping around. He is a fixture there, was groomed for the job then given it, and the fact that he has been enjoying the area for such a long time also shows he is not likely to leave. San Diego St. could be a Gonzaga of sorts if it wanted to eventually, being in the Big Ten is certainly more competitive, not everyone sees going to a power conference as a move up.

A younger guy like Craig Smith, with midwest ties is as good as I can see at this point, ready for the next step up.

Pitino will forever be his father’s son - only with less success. That’s not what I want for my alma mater. You can’t start the healing until you stop the bleeding.

Pretty much the same. Sure we could make a run again. But I don't see a 5-1 run in this team or a BTT run.

Short list:

John Boehlein
Craig Smith
Shaka Smart
Mike Brey
Eric Musselman
LaVall Jordan
Niko Medved

Ben Jacobson too.

Which scenario is more likely to occur?

1. We win out the season with Pitino.
2. We win out the season after firing Pitino right now.
3. We lose out the season with Pitino.
4. We lose out the season after firing Pitino right now.

Ben Jacobson too.

UNI is finally good again this season, but only after 3 straight years of .500 ish ball in the Missouri Valley Conference. That makes me feel uneasy.

Through today, Pitino actually has 5 more wins over the last 4 years than Jacobson, while playing a much more difficult schedule.

Top Bottom