I've Seen Enough

That parallel is so strangely correct!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes. Except I think Seth Green could possibly be a functional B1G QB (beyond the wildcat) whereas Coffey has no chance. At least Tracy Claeys thinks so.

+1. It would as if PJ Fleck decided he didn't like Tanner Morgan, had no other options and said "$% it, we'll use Seth Green and run wildcat all season." I don't know what drove Richard to this decision but it was a mistake and his refusal to correct it probably cost him his job.

I was thinking about this as I was getting dressed for work. If only in fairness to Isaiah, if you like him, keep him and play him and develop him (especially since he's your only PG!); if you don't like him, be honest with him and encourage him to seek another situation somewhere else. Don't keep him around just as a whipping boy and for emergency depth.

Murphy is tough as nails. Oturu and Kalscher look like they'll be fine. That's it for toughness, and I'm talking mental toughness, too.

You're right, Michigan is much better and there's no shame in losing a game to a better team. For me, it's how we lost that game and many others this year. We lay back and let it happen. I'd like to see some sense that they're sick and tired of being sick and tired and say enough is enough.

Anytime I read the phrase "mental toughness"

in my head I replace those two words with the word

"talent"

and I find the statement to be more true.

Zero chance to poach Shaka from Texas without paying him double. It'd be at best lateral move for him

We might not have to poach him. He's in his fourth year and hasn't won a NCAA tournament game yet. Plus, this year just got tougher for him as they announced today his leading scorer is suspended indefinitely.

Two things we all know about Texas -- they've never been shy about firing coaches and they have a ton of money. Don't know what his buyout is if he's fired, but I'm not sure it matters. It's not likely at all, but not totally crazy to think he might be on the market. And if he is...

(Again, not saying it's likely. Just a potential wild card.)

We might not have to poach him. He's in his fourth year and hasn't won a NCAA tournament game yet. Plus, this year just got tougher for him as they announced today his leading scorer is suspended indefinitely.

Two things we all know about Texas -- they've never been shy about firing coaches and they have a ton of money. Don't know what his buyout is if he's fired, but I'm not sure it matters. It's not likely at all, but not totally crazy to think he might be on the market. And if he is...

Shaka has done little with quite a lot of talent at Texas. He shouldn’t be near the top of anyone’s list right now.

Shaka has done little with quite a lot of talent at Texas. He shouldn’t be near the top of anyone’s list right now.

He might be another coach that had a certain style of play that worked in a smaller conference and even in a few games in the NCAAs but the style doesn't translate in the bigger conferences. I haven't seen Texas much under him- does he still play the way they played at VCU- pressing? Monson and Pitino both had planned on running and pressing at Minnesota and it didn't work out that way.

He would be near the top of a ton of lists if he ended up on the open market. Would be hired by a major conference program immediately if he wanted to get right back to work.

And now he has indefinitely suspended Kerwin Roach II. :shockedface:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

First off, I have always been a Richard Pitino supporter. I truly believed that he could get Minnesota to where we all want Minnesota to be, until this year. His lack of allowing Isaiah Washington to make mistakes has hurt this team immensely. My opinion cannot be changed. Isaiah Washington's abilities were the key to this season being successful or not. If you cannot shoot the ball then somebody needs to be able to create shots for others. There is not one player on this team that can do that other than Isaiah Washington. Now, I am not claiming that our record would be better if Richard played Isaiah all year long, however it was a rock left mostly unturned in a very frustrating season where we struggled to score the ball.

Also, whether we find a way to make it into the NCAA tournament or not, Richard Pitino should be looking for a job next basketball season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
On the women's side, Kenisha Bell in one of her better games led all scorers, had a double double with rebounds - and had 7 turnovers. Then she had a game with only 1 TO. We've never really had a chance to take the good with the bad with Washington.

Richard seems irrational about IW. I think we've been backed into 'hoping' the problem is IW because if it isnt, its a bigger problem. Pitino looks lost in managing this year's roster.

Anytime I read the phrase "mental toughness"

in my head I replace those two words with the word

"talent"

and I find the statement to be more true.

When you miss a shot, that's lack of talent. When you slump your shoulders and dont hustle as much as you can after missing that shot, that's mental toughness. This team spends way too much time feeling sorry for itself.

He might be another coach that had a certain style of play that worked in a smaller conference and even in a few games in the NCAAs but the style doesn't translate in the bigger conferences. I haven't seen Texas much under him- does he still play the way they played at VCU- pressing? Monson and Pitino both had planned on running and pressing at Minnesota and it didn't work out that way.

Get a coach that preaches pack line defense

This is not true with basketball. It wasn't true about football until recently. Texas keeps people for quite a while even in upper tier mediocrity.

So in the same thread "we can't get him" and "we shouldn't want him." He's doing ~ the same at Texas as Rick Barnes did his last few years. Part of the issue is that Big XII has few easy wins. Kansas is good. Texas Tech is good. Kansas State is now good. Oklahoma, Baylor and Iowa State are usually good as is WV. Even TCU is now decent. Texas thinks because they have $$ they should be a top 15 basketball school and it's not that simple.

Still running havoc, yes. They've made two NCAA's under him, they're just not lighting the world on fire the way they think they should.

When you miss a shot, that's lack of talent. When you slump your shoulders and dont hustle as much as you can after missing that shot, that's mental toughness. This team spends way too much time feeling sorry for itself.

Strong observation. There were a lot of slumped shoulders and a lot of moping when the game was still far from over. That doesn't exactly instill confidence in a crowd that really wants to get behind you. I left the arena last night wondering, why did it take the Gophers 30-32 minutes to play with any sense of urgency? And, of course, by then it was too late, that late run was just fool's gold.

"Millenials, am I right?" [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If we post up Coffey, why would the guys who guard Murphy and Oturu leave the lane? They wouldn't. Those guys are not a threat outside so their opponents will sag in. Now Coffey is facing three guys, just like Murphy does.

Depends on who you play him with. Oturo has pretty good range as does Curry. Even with Murph on the other side you would be fine, double comes -- coffee has good vision and height.

Depends on who you play him with. Oturo has pretty good range as does Curry. Even with Murph on the other side you would be fine, double comes -- coffee has good vision and height.

Oturu is going to be an excellent shooter and I think Curry will get his shot back- but right now neither has the resume to stop people from sagging in. Burn people like Teske did last night to us (3-6 on three pointers) and the defense has to come out. There is nothing wrong with posting Coffey- it's a great idea, I just think that it is tougher with the players we have.

This is not true with basketball. It wasn't true about football until recently. Texas keeps people for quite a while even in upper tier mediocrity.

They've gone through 4 ADs since 2013. Those big boosters aren't afraid to throw their weight around just a much as they throw their money around.

They've gone through 4 ADs since 2013. Those big boosters aren't afraid to throw their weight around just a much as they throw their money around.

manderson has a point.....Barnes was there for 17 years and prior to him Penders was there for 10. So 2 coaches in 27 years before Smart.

manderson has a point.....Barnes was there for 17 years and prior to him Penders was there for 10. So 2 coaches in 27 years before Smart.

Of course those guys stuck around. They won!

Penders first four years: 4 NCAA tournament bids. 5 NCAA tournament wins. 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place in the conference.
Barnes first four years: 4 NCAA tournament bids. 3 NCAA tournament wins. 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd place in the conference.

Shaka's first four: 2 NCAA tournament bids. 0 NCAA tournament wins, 4th, 10th, 6th, and currently 6th place in the conference. With dismal attendance.

If Texas falls apart down the stretch (they just lost their leading scorer to an indefinite suspension so it's not crazy to think that could happen) I could see a situation where they fire him. Likely? Maybe not. I don't know. I think he's a good coach, but not every situation is a good fit. Their current AD didn't hire him, and they can't enjoy watching their old coach with a top 5 team. Not really what they had in mind paying top 15 money.

The last time they weren't happy with the early results from a coach they fired Charlie Strong after only three years and paid him a huge buyout, plus they fired the AD who hired him and paid his buyout too.

i’m not sure who we hire to replace Pitino will ever take us to the promised land of the NCAA tournament.

i’m not sure who we hire to replace Pitino will ever take us to the promised land of the NCAA tournament.

So your not sure we could hire a better coach ? It is not just about getting to the tournament, it is about challenging for the top of the conference. Getting to the tourney is a by product.

So your not sure we could hire a better coach ? It is not just about getting to the tournament, it is about challenging for the top of the conference. Getting to the tourney is a by product.

It just seems we continue to spin our wheels since the Clem Haskins days.... we have great talent in this state but they seem to always leave for greener pastures because they want to play for a blue blood. Do you think if Pitino had all those guys stay home we will be talking about a sweet 16 appearance?

It just seems we continue to spin our wheels since the Clem Haskins days.... we have great talent in this state but they seem to always leave for greener pastures because they want to play for a blue blood. Do you think if Pitino had all those guys stay home we will be talking about a sweet 16 appearance?

No one would keep all those guys home. Sweet 16 is getting hot for two games, hell this team could do that. Plenty of coaches would be a whole lot better than 38-68. That is incredibly poor. People used to see UW could not win in basketball or football. People said no one would take the ACC over Duke and UNC and UVA has won 3 of the last 5. The right coach can win big here.

Truthfully our wheels have never done anything but spin unless we've used illegal tactics. Getting in state guys is great and fun, but not a fair barometer of success nor is it needed to be successful.

When will the "signing in-state recruits" meme come to an end? It's been posted and proven time and again that nobody, not even the best basketball schools in the country, keeps all of their in-state players home, and we're just supposed to ignore that and pretend that Minnesota will be the one school to do it? Why do posters keep doing this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

When will the "signing in-state recruits" meme come to an end? It's been posted and proven time and again that nobody, not even the best basketball schools in the country, keeps all of their in-state players home, and we're just supposed to ignore that and pretend that Minnesota will be the one school to do it? Why do posters keep doing this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

And it's always followed up by a deep run in the tournament.

Part of this is because we are spoiled and have not had competition of another D1 school in the state. It leads us to believe all kids should stay I think. Not fair to the program or the kids from the state. In state kids also look at others that have stayed and see the treatment they get (Coffey, Liedner, Rodney Williams, Royce White, list can be longer) from media and fans. Easy to not want to stay and avoid unwanted extra pressure.

Top Bottom