I've Seen Enough

Every year there will be four #1 seeds. Virginia will be remembered as the only #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Your right , it will be remembered for a long time. There are 4 number 1 seeds each year, only 4 and really hard to get. You have to achieve at a very high level to get one. We will not get one under Pitino. How Bennett handled it brought him tremendous equity with others, he owned it with grace, not even mentioning not having Hunter, his best player and a lottery pick. It resulted in high levels of respect among those that care about how you react to adversity and played a pivotal role in landing Morsell, Shedrick and no McCorkle and may deliver Juzang. Among parents and recruits and his players and family it said more than any victory could. It played well today again, down 12 on the road against a ranked team they shot 2-17 from 3 but stated the course with only 5 turnovers and lock down defense to win and become the only ACC team in history to win 5 road games against ranked teams in one year in history. This is posted because we can do that here if we hire the right coach.

You have a point but it's not as strong as you think. An athletic program's duty is to its own fans. Yes, someone who is not a fan of U of VA may prefer to remember that historical loss. Someone who is a fan of U of VA will look back very fondly to that great season where they won 31 games and lost only 3. Just like Minnesota fans look back on the 1997 season very fondly despite the subsequent events.
+100 Spot on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I understand a lot more than you.

Getting to the top of the conference though nice and all making a run in the tourney has over taken where you finish during the conference season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a silly argument. By that definition, none of these regular season games even matter. Everything for this season is still in front of the Gophers. We should all not have any opinions on this season until we get to March. On the contrary, we have about 15 threads on Pitino that would suggest the opposite. People care.

Any shots at VA or Bennett are ridiculous. What they have done in the toughest conference in college basketball is remarkable.

You are either a troll or non-gopher fan to this poster if you go against Pitino.

See, there is your persecution complex again. I have been very critical of Pitino and have made it clear that I think he should be fired (unless, of course, he manages a remarkable but thoroughly unexpected turnaround in these last four games). I have never once felt persecuted on this site. People disagreeing with you (even strongly) is not persecution. Seems to me that the majority of people here have soured on Pitino.

As far as the "troll" label being thrown around, only pedestrian dullards use that word anyway. People who throw around hackneyed words and phrases like that do so because they lack the vocabulary and/or writing skills to express themselves more precisely.

Your right , it will be remembered for a long time. There are 4 number 1 seeds each year, only 4 and really hard to get. You have to achieve at a very high level to get one. We will not get one under Pitino. How Bennett handled it brought him tremendous equity with others, he owned it with grace, not even mentioning not having Hunter, his best player and a lottery pick. It resulted in high levels of respect among those that care about how you react to adversity and played a pivotal role in landing Morsell, Shedrick and no McCorkle and may deliver Juzang. Among parents and recruits and his players and family it said more than any victory could. It played well today again, down 12 on the road against a ranked team they shot 2-17 from 3 but stated the course with only 5 turnovers and lock down defense to win and become the only ACC team in history to win 5 road games against ranked teams in one year in history. This is posted because we can do that here if we hire the right coach.
No question. And don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Virginia and Bennett.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is a silly argument. By that definition, none of these regular season games even matter. Everything for this season is still in front of the Gophers. We should all not have any opinions on this season until we get to March. On the contrary, we have about 15 threads on Pitino that would suggest the opposite. People care.

Any shots at VA or Bennett are ridiculous. What they have done in the toughest conference in college basketball is remarkable.

Silly argument? The vast majority of the threads come to the conclusion to keep his job Pitino needs to make the tourney. None that I have seen indicate the feeling he needs to finish top 4 in the conference to keep his job. If they make the tourney where they finished in conference will be irrelevant to most. Win a game or two and it becomes even more irrelevant.

They put bracketology type stuff out basically as soon as the title game ends. It’s all about the tourney.

As far as the shot at Bennett and UVA. It was done to get one particular poster going and it worked.

Silly argument? The vast majority of the threads come to the conclusion to keep his job Pitino needs to make the tourney. None that I have seen indicate the feeling he needs to finish top 4 in the conference to keep his job. If they make the tourney where they finished in conference will be irrelevant to most. Win a game or two and it becomes even more irrelevant.

They put bracketology type stuff out basically as soon as the title game ends. It’s all about the tourney.

As far as the shot at Bennett and UVA. It was done to get one particular poster going and it worked.

Why was Tubby fired after making the tournament and even winning a game?

Why was Tubby fired after making the tournament and even winning a game?

The AD at the time thought the program needed a new direction. The program had gone stale and needed more than just one tourney win in 6 years.

Why do you think Clem Haskins was so highly thought of around here? Toughest ticket in town to get during his era. Why? All those top of the conference finishes? Or the fact that his teams had a number of runs in the tourney?

The AD at the time thought the program needed a new direction. The program had gone stale and needed more than just one tourney win in 6 years.

Why do you think Clem Haskins was so highly thought of around here? Toughest ticket in town to get during his era. Why? All those top of the conference finishes? Or the fact that his teams had a number of runs in the tourney?

It's both. No question. I'm not trying to diminish the tournament. It is the best sporting event of the year, imo. Obviously tournament appearances would be a by-product of finishing high in the conference every year.

This program needs to get the snowball going in the right direction. Would sneaking in as an 11th seed and winning a game accomplish that or would finishing third and losing in the first round? I'm not sure.

I had this in the coaching candidates thread but figure I would post it here too:

I think you give Pitino one more year. For the most part, Pitino has had 2 great seasons (NIT and NCAA Tournament) and 3 awful seasons. This season, we were barely even projected to be on the bubble. Right now, we are square on the bubble. The team did not collapse this year like our other three bad seasons, so this is unchartered territory for Pitino. The team did not exceed or fall short of expectations. Seems strange to fire him after that.

I find it funny that the same people demanding Pitino to go out and get a great recruit are also the same people who want him fired. Pretty hard to recruit someone when you are on the hot seat. Note: I'm not saying that posts on this message board are holding Pitino back, just pointing out that the strange disconnect.

Anyways, the Gophers will add Marcus Carr, Peyton Willis and Tre Williams next season. It's not like we are only brining one player in. Those three could be great additions to the backcourt.

Firing Pitino could unleash a cataclysmic event. What if the NCAAs relax the transfer rules this offseason and Kalscheur or Oturu or the three guys I mentioned above jump ship? Do we really want to risk that?

Seems to me the best play here is to give Pitino one more year to solidify his program as a Top 8 B1G team. If he can do that and earn some job security, maybe he can knock the 2020 class out of the park and we are then poised to be a B1G contender

That is what you post for ! Congrats. I post for the exchange of opinions on what makes a great coach, a great team and a great program because as a fan that is what want and expect.

I had this in the coaching candidates thread but figure I would post it here too:

I think you give Pitino one more year. For the most part, Pitino has had 2 great seasons (NIT and NCAA Tournament) and 3 awful seasons. This season, we were barely even projected to be on the bubble. Right now, we are square on the bubble. The team did not collapse this year like our other three bad seasons, so this is unchartered territory for Pitino. The team did not exceed or fall short of expectations. Seems strange to fire him after that.

I find it funny that the same people demanding Pitino to go out and get a great recruit are also the same people who want him fired. Pretty hard to recruit someone when you are on the hot seat. Note: I'm not saying that posts on this message board are holding Pitino back, just pointing out that the strange disconnect.

Anyways, the Gophers will add Marcus Carr, Peyton Willis and Tre Williams next season. It's not like we are only brining one player in. Those three could be great additions to the backcourt.

Firing Pitino could unleash a cataclysmic event. What if the NCAAs relax the transfer rules this offseason and Kalscheur or Oturu or the three guys I mentioned above jump ship? Do we really want to risk that?

Seems to me the best play here is to give Pitino one more year to solidify his program as a Top 8 B1G team. If he can do that and earn some job security, maybe he can knock the 2020 class out of the park and we are then poised to be a B1G contender

Going with that mentality will just keep bringing us to "one more year".

The key is that 2020 class you just mentioned. Let's say Pitino gets 1 more year and the team still struggles, you are going to fire him right before that 2020 class? Maybe if they've all committed elsewhere you could do that. But otherwise if you keep him beyond this year, it almost has to be at least 2 more years.

This post was absolutely awful.

Did someone post to keep him so he can solidify us as a 8th place Big 10 team next year ?

Might take 5th if we win out and get tons of help. Thought the post was about keeping him to solidify us as a top 8 Big 10 team.

If we lose out we could finish 9th or 10th. I think we will win two game and finish 7th...and probably make the tournament.

If we lose out we could finish 9th or 10th. I think we will win two game and finish 7th...and probably make the tournament.

I am expecting to make the tournament. I did expect to contend at the top of the conference one time in 6 years, especially this year. FYI , for me 7th is garbage.

I am expecting to make the tournament. I did expect to contend at the top of the conference one time in 6 years, especially this year. FYI , for me 7th is garbage.

I do too. If it was me I would go a different direction. I heard we have the 12th best record in the B1G the last 6 years. That is unacceptable. But it is tough to fire a coach after making the NCAA tournament...just my opinion.

But it is tough to fire a coach after making the NCAA tournament...

That was funny. Made my sambuca come out my nose.

On the bright side keeping Pitino would mean more btt Wednesday games. More home NIT games.

I don't care what happens the last 3 games. That's enough. We need a fresh start. Musselman, Shaka, Oates or Howland please.

I'm done as well. Wanted him to do well here. Anything short of a miracle and winning the B10 tourney is not good enough. I've seen enough.

I don't care what happens the last 3 games. That's enough. We need a fresh start. Musselman, Shaka, Oates or Howland please.

Whatever happens or doesn’t happen Shaka ain’t even a possibility.

The team has acquired a loser mentality in the final 5 minutes. Confidence or lack of confidence can be traced to the coach. Pitino has not picked his team up with tactics or psychology and it really showed again tonight.

Good news is that our two best players are freshmen.

I’ll throw my hat in the ring.

Whatever happens or doesn’t happen Shaka ain’t even a possibility.

I disagree. Not likely, but not impossible. They're on the bubble with zero NCAA wins in year 5.

Top Bottom