I've Seen Enough

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I've long been a supporter of Richard Pitino, and I still think it was the right move to fire Tubby. But I've seen enough of the Pitino era. Having this poor of a shooting team is unacceptable. Continuing to start Coffey at PG is unacceptable. There is some good, young talent on this team starting with Oturu, and the roster is in better shape going forward than it was when Pitino took over. But it's time to move on. 6 years is enough for a college basketball coach to show more success than Pitino has. Hire Nate Oats or TJ Otzelberger.

I've long been a supporter of Richard Pitino, and I still think it was the right move to fire Tubby. But I've seen enough of the Pitino era. Having this poor of a shooting team is unacceptable. Continuing to start Coffey at PG is unacceptable. There is some good, young talent on this team starting with Oturu, and the roster is in better shape going forward than it was when Pitino took over. But it's time to move on. 6 years is enough for a college basketball coach to show more success than Pitino has. Hire Nate Oats or TJ Otzelberger.
Nate Oats would instill a toughness on the defensive end that we'd appreciate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Also, the flopping to try and draw fouls has gotten out of hand. I get it, they're such a bad shooting team, they're trying to get to the line for easier points. Except they can't make free throws either. Enough is enough.

We'll see how the last 4 games go, but I maintain if we miss the NCAA's it's time for Richard to go.

I'm with you, I've seen enough, I think we know what we've got at this point, time to try something new. I could get behind Oats or Otzelberger (or Hoiberg or Mussleman or ....?).

Without a tourney bid I don’t see how you bring back Pitino.

Already having a tough time selling tickets. More than likely Gophers will be picked to finish bottom half of the conference next year.

Don’t see how the AD could even consider trying to sell the fan base on another year of Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree here... I'm glad Richard got his chance, but let's face it. No more excuses. 6 years is enough time to mold your team into what you want, and I honestly don't see any rhyme or reason to his roster at all. I don't see anything that separates Pitino from the average coach. Glad he was our coach, glad he got his chance, but time to move on.

I just hope that Richard punishes IW for Amir Coffey's performance tonight.

Beilein is so good. Must be fun to cheer for a well-coached team.

I'm with you, I've seen enough, I think we know what we've got at this point, time to try something new. I could get behind Oats or Otzelberger (or Hoiberg or Mussleman or ....?).

I just don't think Mussleman is an option, or that Hoiberg's heart is in the college game. I think Oats and Otzelberger are two of the best young coaches out there.

I agree with most that has been posted here. But are grasping at straws with Oats and Otzelberger? I am Ok moving on from Pitino if we miss the tourney, but not sure I want to just move on to move on - hoping a young coach hits. Maybe Oats, he's obviously had some success. Not sure Mussleman or Hoiberg are even remotely possible, but can't we shoot high?

I agree with most that has been posted here. But are grasping at straws with Oats and Otzelberger? I am Ok moving on from Pitino if we miss the tourney, but not sure I want to just move on to move on - hoping a young coach hits. Maybe Oats, he's obviously had some success. Not sure Mussleman or Hoiberg are even remotely possible, but can't we shoot high?

Well, if you watch Buffalo, that team plays hard and really hits the boards. Agree that Hoiberg would be the star candidate but I'd settle for any quality mid-major coach who has paid his dues and has shown some good team play.

Musselman would be a dream hire. I doubt he’d seriously consider coming here though.

That's where I have my problem. I was pretty sure it was the right time to move on from Tubby. But every measurable says Tubby was better through 6 years. In addition, I am real worried about next year. I like Gabe and Oturu, but the rest of the roster and whatever this recruiting class is. Well not real confident.

Point being is if I thought it was time to move on from Tubby, the only reason why I think we should stick with Richard is that my expectations have sunk to an all time low, which is sad.

What's the Musselman fascination? Took a meltdown from both Texas and Cincy last year for Nevada to even advance in the tourney. Give me Oats any day of the week. Kalscheur would hit 90+ threes in his system where he really opens it up for his guards and wings.

Well, if you watch Buffalo, that team plays hard and really hits the boards. Agree that Hoiberg would be the star candidate but I'd settle for any quality mid-major coach who has paid his dues and has shown some good team play.

Yes, Buffalo plays hard. But the BIG is a different beast. Many new "good" up and coming coaches have been less than successful in the BIG. Ill, OSU and the Hoosiers are living it now. And NW is living it even worse than us.

Home Run
1. Musselman
2. Shaka

Solid
3. Oates
4. Howland

Hope for the best
5. Hoiberg
6. Otzelberger
7. Miles
8. Medved

I really like Pitino as a person, and even if he is not our coach next year I'll be cheering for him to succeed.

But I am just...so frustrated right now. Don't even know where to start discussing it.

Totally agree here... I'm glad Richard got his chance, but let's face it. No more excuses. 6 years is enough time to mold your team into what you want, and I honestly don't see any rhyme or reason to his roster at all. I don't see anything that separates Pitino from the average coach. Glad he was our coach, glad he got his chance, but time to move on.

Seriously, the double standard he has is insane.

Yes, Buffalo plays hard. But the BIG is a different beast. Many new "good" up and coming coaches have been less than successful in the BIG. Ill, OSU and the Hoosiers are living it now. And NW is living it even worse than us.

OK, well, Miles didn't cut it in the Big Ten and Chambers really hasn't either. NW is pretty mediocre but they were before Collins and I wouldn't say they are any worse with him (he did produce two 20+ win seasons).

McCaffrey was a mid-major coach and succeeded in the conference. The Illinois coach has recruited pretty well and has Illinois being one of the scarier teams in the conference right now. I'm not ready to close the book on Archie yet. Bo Ryan only coached a mid-major D1 team for a couple of years before he went to Wisconsin. He spent the rest of prior career at a DIII school. I did say "paid his dues." I don't want to see another wet-behind-the-ears coach like Pitino get the job.

I really like Pitino as a person, and even if he is not our coach next year I'll be cheering for him to succeed.

But I am just...so frustrated right now. Don't even know where to start discussing it.

Same for me.

Home Run
1. Musselman
2. Shaka

Solid
3. Oates
4. Howland

Hope for the best
5. Hoiberg
6. Otzelberger
7. Miles
8. Medved

I imagine you’ll catch some heat for where Shaka is on this list but with how strong of a recruiter he is, he could be an interesting candidate. Maryland’s taught us, you can get away with a lot in this conference if you recruit really well. I’d probably still bump Hoiberg above him. He’s proven at the college level, strong local ties and NBA experience. Not sure any of the names brought up on here come close to him but also don’t think he’s gettable.

What's the Musselman fascination? Took a meltdown from both Texas and Cincy last year for Nevada to even advance in the tourney. Give me Oats any day of the week. Kalscheur would hit 90+ threes in his system where he really opens it up for his guards and wings.

Why do you not like Mussleman? What's the fascination with Oats? Oats is intriguing, but.........

Other than recruiting the players, how is it Pitino’s fault when Players shoot so poorly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't hang out with the guy so I don't care what he's like as a person and, for all we know, he could be a prick in private. He's been kind of a prick to number of players over the years. I don't like Fran McCaffrey as a person that much but I'd much rather have him as coach than Pitino.

No way is OSU living it. Holtman is a grand slam hire. 21-11 without his own guys and a fantastic class coming in. Archie Miller has tremendous class coming and needs his own guys.

Other than recruiting the players, how is it Pitino’s fault when Players shoot so poorly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The origin of fault is irrelevant. His record speaks for itself: 6 years with 4 of them ranging from disappointing to bad to historically abysmal.

Top Bottom