offense vs. Mich

washgopher

Reaction score
Gophs have got to be worst offensive team, they stink. 18 points in first half against Mich

There are times we are not crisp, but this year I’ve noticed a lot more purposeful offense. We get players open looks and the don’t make shots. That’s not bad offense, it’s sub-par players.

Michigan has five guys who can shoot three - we have one - total mismatch and makes our offense predictable.

I didn’t see the whole game, but I saw a lot of open shots that were just missed. Shooting is the problem. How can a coach improve how his players shot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t see the whole game, but I saw a lot of open shots that were just missed. Shooting is the problem. How can a coach improve how his players shot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooting and shot selection. The shots Coffey forces up.....two for fifteen. Five guards that played- 20 total points on 30 shots. Good heavens. Missed free throws- yuck.

Both Murphy and Oturu were good enough that if they got one on one, they'd have a good chance of scoring. Michigan knew that and helped out their defenders. Ideally we would have gotten it to one of them, drawn a doubleteam, then passed it to whoever they left open. But there are two problems with that:

1. The guards can not shoot well
2. Coffey is one of the most selfish basketball players ever and wants to take low percentage shots instead of passing

Both Murphy and Oturu were good enough that if they got one on one, they'd have a good chance of scoring. Michigan knew that and helped out their defenders. Ideally we would have gotten it to one of them, drawn a doubleteam, then passed it to whoever they left open. But there are two problems with that:

1. The guards can not shoot well
2. Coffey is one of the most selfish basketball players ever and wants to take low percentage shots instead of passing

Geez. Last week Coffey doesn’t assert himself enough to take over a game, now he is one of the most selfish players ever?

Geez. Last week Coffey doesn’t assert himself enough to take over a game, now he is one of the most selfish players ever?

You can take over the game without forcing shots going one on three. Coffey has to realize that the refs were not going to make the calls he is hoping for on his wild drives. You have to take what the game gives you. How about taking the game over on defense, diving on the floor for a loose ball or setting a screen or making a great pass? Then the game might come to him. People are asking him to be more assertive, not to hog the ball.

You can take over the game without forcing shots going one on three. Coffey has to realize that the refs were not going to make the calls he is hoping for on his wild drives. You have to take what the game gives you. How about taking the game over on defense, diving on the floor for a loose ball or setting a screen or making a great pass? Then the game might come to him. People are asking him to be more assertive, not to hog the ball.

I understand what you are saying. However, we had NOONE who could hit outside shots pretty much all game. The announcers said it. Beilein mentioned it (indirectly) in the pregame presser. The statistics scream it out. Every coach knows it so they game plan accordingly. We shot 1-10 from three. At that rate, should we shoot ten more? Our only hope was to score inside. Sorry to say it, but our chances were better even with a wild drive because there is also a chance of a foul call. Chance of making a three: 10%
Chance of making a shot on a wild drive: 20%
Chance of getting fouled on drive: 20%
What looks better?
Of course I made those up, and Coffee was only 2-15, which is worse than my 20% estimate, and the refs didn’t call many fouls. Bottom line is we lost by only nine! Yes, there are a lot of things we could have done better. However, IT IS ALL ABOUT THE SHOOTING. Our guards suck in shooting. Our team sucks in free-throw shooting. It’s too bad, because this team seemed like it had a lot of potential and has some really nice kids that are easy to pull for. I want them to win SO BAD, and same for coach. It’s time to stop recruiting bricklayers. Time to recruit shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There are times we are not crisp, but this year I’ve noticed a lot more purposeful offense. We get players open looks and the don’t make shots. That’s not bad offense, it’s sub-par players.

Respectfully, I have to wholeheartedly disagree. For the most part, our offense has seemed to me to have absolutely no purpose or direction. We run around without setting picks, without cutting hard to the basket, and our passers lack the vision to see when guys are getting open. We refuse to pound the ball inside when Murphy and Oturu are the only bright spots on offense, almost to the point that the big guys don't even expect the ball to come inside. We run the shot clock down to 5 seconds, then force up a shot out of desperation (if we get one off at all). Granted, we don't have any shooters besides Kalscheur, but our offensive players have often looked rattled and confused.

Respectfully, I have to wholeheartedly disagree. For the most part, our offense has seemed to me to have absolutely no purpose or direction. We run around without setting picks, without cutting hard to the basket, and our passers lack the vision to see when guys are getting open. We refuse to pound the ball inside when Murphy and Oturu are the only bright spots on offense, almost to the point that the big guys don't even expect the ball to come inside. We run the shot clock down to 5 seconds, then force up a shot out of desperation (if we get one off at all). Granted, we don't have any shooters besides Kalscheur, but our offensive players have often looked rattled and confused.

I see a whole lot of standing around, few screens and even less precision of cuts off screens.

Top Bottom