Tim Miles: "If they fire me I'm still a millionaire, so I've got that going for me."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Tim Miles: "If they fire me I'm still a millionaire, so I've got that going for me."

per the Lincoln Journal Star:

Miles also talked about receiving only a one-year contract extension from Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos during the spring.

"You feel like you're put on notice," the coach said, mentioning the resulting recruiting challenges.

Moos no doubt noticed the debacle in Happy Valley.

In the podcast, Goodman discussed how he used to cook up a "hot-seat meter" for coaches even at the low- and mid-major levels -- coaches who weren't making millions of dollars, as is the case with Miles at Nebraska.

"If they fire me, they're still going to pay me. … I'm still a millionaire," Miles said. "So I've got that going for me."

Bad timing for those comments, regardless of context.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_72bdd083-0027-5015-94d1-898840b57acf.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Lincoln Journal Star:

Miles also talked about receiving only a one-year contract extension from Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos during the spring.

"You feel like you're put on notice," the coach said, mentioning the resulting recruiting challenges.

Moos no doubt noticed the debacle in Happy Valley.

In the podcast, Goodman discussed how he used to cook up a "hot-seat meter" for coaches even at the low- and mid-major levels -- coaches who weren't making millions of dollars, as is the case with Miles at Nebraska.

"If they fire me, they're still going to pay me. … I'm still a millionaire," Miles said. "So I've got that going for me."

Bad timing for those comments, regardless of context.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_72bdd083-0027-5015-94d1-898840b57acf.html

Go Gophers!!

It stinks that we actually have a coach go on a podcast and be candid and share some things, make a joke that fits his sense of humor and has to apologize for it. No wonder none of these guys talk anymore. Who cares.

It stinks that we actually have a coach go on a podcast and be candid and share some things, make a joke that fits his sense of humor and has to apologize for it. No wonder none of these guys talk anymore. Who cares.

Egg-f*cking-zacktly.

Here's how I look at it. We ALREADY KNEW he had class and humanity after his handling of the death of 'Pree's mother. Now we know he has a sense of humor too. Good man, that Tim Mile. Good man.

Miles is a funny guy and a nice guy. He hasn't proven he's a great high major D1 coach yet. For some reason people around here treat him much better than they treat Pitino. Both are funny, good humor, good natured guys. As far as Miles is concerned, he's in his 15th year as a D1 coach and hasn't won an NCAA Tournament game yet. In fact, I don't think he's won any post-season game yet as his teams got bounced in the first round in the CBI and NIT. And got ejected in one of his NCAA Tournament loses. My guess is he will be back with a mid-major team a year from now. Hopefully he finds a place he can excel at, not everyone is a BT caliber coach.

The fan base here is ready to see Miles gone, his comment about the money has not sat well with the locals.

Miles is a funny guy and a nice guy. He hasn't proven he's a great high major D1 coach yet. For some reason people around here treat him much better than they treat Pitino. Both are funny, good humor, good natured guys. As far as Miles is concerned, he's in his 15th year as a D1 coach and hasn't won an NCAA Tournament game yet. In fact, I don't think he's won any post-season game yet as his teams got bounced in the first round in the CBI and NIT. And got ejected in one of his NCAA Tournament loses. My guess is he will be back with a mid-major team a year from now. Hopefully he finds a place he can excel at, not everyone is a BT caliber coach.

They are similar personalities and have produced similar results. I think both are good guys. I give Miles more benefit of the doubt because he proved he could do it at NDSU and Colorado State versus Pitino's one season at FIU and because I think Nebraska is a tougher job than MN.

Thank you.

Probably not the smartest thing to say, but Miles has always been a good dude.

The things we get outraged about today. ...

I will always remember his and his teams classy response to DM Mom's death. Class act.

c3f9f12d5a699df8a1230dc0e4f84122.jpg

Egg-f*cking-zacktly.

Here's how I look at it. We ALREADY KNEW he had class and humanity after his handling of the death of 'Pree's mother. Now we know he has a sense of humor too. Good man, that Tim Mile. Good man.

Agreed. You can't help but like the guy. He'll get another coaching job but he'll be a significantly richer than he would have been had he remained a mid-major coach all these years.

The fan base here is ready to see Miles gone, his comment about the money has not sat well with the locals.

Understandable. Would really annoy me if Pitino said that as well. Miles very tone-deaf here.

Might be an interesting year: could have Miles, Pitino, and Chambers all fired at the same time. Even Collins might not be completely safe.

Might be an interesting year: could have Miles, Pitino, and Chambers all fired at the same time. Even Collins might not be completely safe.

Collins is safe. He has far and away the most difficult job in the conference.

I would love is Nebby gets rid of him. He as made them relevant and a tough team to play. That's a tough job. Have to go and get most of your talent outside the state and your fanbase cares so long as the football team stinks.

I like Miles. Seems like a good dude. Has had some really talented players at a place that basketball has long forgot. I wish I was friends with him. I bet we’d drink beers and have a great time.

It amazes me how there are still people who want him as the Gopher coach. All because he's remotely from this region and he's "a good guy"

It amazes me how there are still people who want him as the Gopher coach. All because he's remotely from this region and he's "a good guy"

Don't want him here as I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade; but there is something to be said for a guy who's actually played the game. How many successful coaches are there that never played basketball? Rick Pitino?

Don't want him here as I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade; but there is something to be said for a guy who's actually played the game. How many successful coaches are there that never played basketball? Rick Pitino?
Rick played for U Mass with Dr J

Rick played for U Mass with Dr J

Never actually played on the same team as Dr. J. Then his son was not a player. Few D1 coaches go on to have sons that become great coaches, especially ones gifted spots on their dads teams.

I think he'd do better here than Richard. Would he win conference titles here? Can be debated and most evidence would probably lead to no. He's a realistic candidate, who'd probably take the job. People like Miles here because he viewed the U job as a dream job and he's beloved by MN HS coaches. He also had success at other places prior to Nebraska (Which he is also leaving it better than he found). Please don't take this as me advocating firing Richard to hire Miles.

Last edited:

I think he'd do better here than Richard. Would he win conference titles here? Can be debated and most evidence would probably lead to no. He's a realistic candidate, who'd probably take the job. People like Miles here because he viewed the U job as a dream job and he's beloved by MN HS coaches. He also had success at other places prior to Nebraska (Which he is also leaving it better than he found).

+1. Minnesota is a tough job. Nebraska is a tougher job. There's no question Miles tenure has not gone as hoped. But he also took Colorado State from a complete disaster to the NCAA's in 4 years. Miles is not my first choice or even my 5th. But I'd rather take a chance on him proving his time in Lincoln was a fluke than some random coach from the MAC (not including Oates in that).

Wow. The irony.

Study it. Tark and Danny, Sutton and Sean, Knight and Pat, Pitino and Richard all gifted posts on staff ahead of existing and qualified assistants. Bennett is the interesting study as he had already played in the NBA, by far the best player of all the sons, gone to New Zealand to play and coach and then upon returning stateside his father made him be a manager at UW jumping no one on staff on the final 4 team. Then assistant on Soderburgh team, then Bo Ryans staff and then finally the grunt man recruiting in the complete rebuild at Washington State. Winning there means winning anywhere. Find the guy who has built under the worst possible conditions that never cheated, that knows the game, that sees a players greatness way before anyone else. We can do it. It is super hard but it can be done.

Study it. Tark and Danny, Sutton and Sean, Knight and Pat, Pitino and Richard all gifted posts on staff ahead of existing and qualified assistants. Bennett is the interesting study as he had already played in the NBA, by far the best player of all the sons, gone to New Zealand to play and coach and then upon returning stateside his father made him be a manager at UW jumping no one on staff on the final 4 team. Then assistant on Soderburgh team, then Bo Ryans staff and then finally the grunt man recruiting in the complete rebuild at Washington State. Winning there means winning anywhere. Find the guy who has built under the worst possible conditions that never cheated, that knows the game, that sees a players greatness way before anyone else. We can do it. It is super hard but it can be done.

Man doesn't bode well for the Wolves then...

This trait doesn't just go with basketball coaches. It's a principle in life. Look at most athletes in general. The greatest players in most sports typically come from adverse backgrounds. It develops different levels of grit and toughness that really can't be thought. Also having nothing to lose allows for folks to grow beyond what they know.

+1. Minnesota is a tough job. Nebraska is a tougher job. There's no question Miles tenure has not gone as hoped. But he also took Colorado State from a complete disaster to the NCAA's in 4 years. Miles is not my first choice or even my 5th. But I'd rather take a chance on him proving his time in Lincoln was a fluke than some random coach from the MAC (not including Oates in that).

Miles can thank Colton Iverson for putting CS on the map.

At CSU, Iverson became the focal point of the offense, leading the team in scoring (14.2 points per game) and rebounding (9.8 per game). At the close of the season, Iverson was named first team All-Mountain West and an honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press.[3]

Study it. Tark and Danny, Sutton and Sean, Knight and Pat, Pitino and Richard all gifted posts on staff ahead of existing and qualified assistants.

Pitino likely was also gifted a spot on Billy Donovan's staff. Given what Billy Donovan owed to Rick Pitino, he probably would have had a more difficult time than Richard's own father refusing to hire him. Supposedly, Teague, in hiring Richard, was impressed by a recommendation from Billy Donovan. That would be another indication of Teague's stupidity. That recommendation should have meant nothing.

Last edited:

Pitino likely was also gifted a spot on Billy Donovan's staff. Given what Billy Donovan owed to Rick Pitino, he probably would have had a more difficult time than Richard's own father refusing to hire him. Supposedly, Teague, in hiring Richard, was impressed by a recommendation from Billy Donovan. That would be another indication of Teague's stupidity. That recommendation should have meant nothing.

Unfortunately, this sure makes sense.

Yes, all that playing experience at D2 has really helped him coaching at the power conference level

Top Bottom