Former Gopher MarQueis Gray on college athletes: I just think they should be paid

Then move them to club sports. You can't argue that it's unfair that a club woman's volleyball player doesn't get paid, while a varsity male football player does. Otherwise, you'd have to argue that a female violinist in the school orchestra must be paid. Etc. Etc. Argument doesn't work, because it's arbitrary.

I don’t think I understand your argument here, sorry. Why would schools do this?

The basis of Title IX was participation. You would lose in court. No language in the law comes close to giving you a leg to stand on. If they want to make a new law, then go for it

It is not based solely on participation and numbers. There are numerous equality factors at play.I disagree with this take.

What you're referring to is essentially a DIII model. Jim Delany has threatened to take the Big Ten down to DIII if player pay comes to pass. I think that was an empty threat, but we will see. You may end up being exactly correct.

Well, it really boils down to whether they can prove an employer and employee relationship. If that happens game over for most schools. Turn out the lights on the way out. Of course there are fairly easy modifications that would make these allegations easier to withstand.

Well, it really boils down to whether they can prove an employer and employee relationship. If that happens game over for most schools.

That's not what is being argued in court.

The argument is that the NCAA has violated antitrust laws by artificially limiting player compensation to be no more than what the Dept of Education requires all schools to report as "Full Cost of Attendance". And it was only very recently that the NCAA even allowed schools to pay out up to the full FCOA amount. It was lower than that for many years.

Makes perfect sense for paying college football players, though.

Guessing you don't have an answer for that one, or you would've said it.
The answer is to not pay them.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You have to have an argument. Without that, you lose in court.
They are amateurs. They are already compensated with a free education and housing. That's my argument. We shall see what the court decides.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

They are amateurs. They are already compensated with a free education and housing. That's my argument. We shall see what the court decides.

We shall.

"They're amateurs" is a pretty weak argument, in my opinion, given the flimsy, unethical history of where amateurism comes from, why it was created in the first place. It's really nothing more than a convenient way for schools to deny paying players, now.

They are compensated, but the argument itself is that the limits on that compensation are unfair. You haven't argued why they are fair.

We shall.

"They're amateurs" is a pretty weak argument, in my opinion, given the flimsy, unethical history of where amateurism comes from, why it was created in the first place. It's really nothing more than a convenient way for schools to deny paying players, now.

They are compensated, but the argument itself is that the limits on that compensation are unfair. You haven't argued why they are fair.

A rant: since when is anything fair? Kids have to jump through hoops and most pay out the nose to get their piece of paper/validation that they aren’t totally incapable of thinking. Then they move on to graduate or professional school, or internships/externhips, or enter the workplace. Then the “real” education and de-education ensues.

In the real world those that either fund a business (ie investors, leisure class, etc) or the top of the managerial layer cake earn the bulk of the profits. The peons get peanuts. Those that prove valuable to the organization or have a knack for the business either move up the chain or start their own business. Then they earn more. College players are the peons. They are “paid” with scholarships, board, stipend, food, notoriety and perhaps some dalliances with the fairer sex. The gifted and talented move on to the NFL. Some go to the CFL or the newer leagues. The bulk of them get on with other professional interests and work their way up.

Top Bottom