Carter Coughlin: There are few men I’ve met who I respect as much as Coach Fleck

The dreaded “vote of confidence” is really only a thing for a team in the midst of a below expectation season whose boss says “I think they can get this thing turned around”... Saying you are working on an extension towards the end of a mostly successful season is not a “vote of confidence”.

I would agree if someone was arguing that Coyle had TC on a shorter leash since he’s not the “type” of coach he would have and ultimately did hire. I definitely disagree with what some seem to be arguing, which was that Coyle would have fired him without the incident and his handling of it.

Claeys didn't misplay the "scandal". And, again, it didn't matter how he handled it - he was gone either way.

As I said, some people can’t even agree that he totally misplayed the scandal.

If you don’t think claeys misplayed the scandal...you aren’t worth talking to about the issue because you clearly don’t understand

If you don’t think claeys misplayed the scandal...you aren’t worth talking to about the issue because you clearly don’t understand

Agreed. After he tweeted his support for the player boycott, Claeys was quoted as saying there was a good chance he might be fired for it. And Coyle was publicly critical of Claeys' tweet. The notion that this was not the major reason Claeys was fired is absurd.

Tracy Claeys fired as Minnesota coach, as he'd predicted could happen

Claeys stood by his players during their football boycott, that was in protest of ten Minnesota football players being suspended following a sexual assault investigation by the school.

On the night of the boycott announcement, Claeys openly supported his players, although he wasn’t present in front of the media during the announcement.

Have never been more proud of our kids. I respect their rights & support their effort to make a better world! 〽️
— GoldenGopherHFC (@GoldenGopherHFC) December 16, 2016

Following the boycott ending, Claeys said that he told his players that supporting their boycott could get him fired.

Read complete article at: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...cy-claeys-reportedly-fired-as-minnesota-coach

Minnesota fires Tracy Claeys after coach's support of players' boycott

... Claeys voiced support for his players publicly during the protest, much to the dismay of university officials.

”Have never been more proud of our kids,” Claeys tweeted on Dec. 15. “I respect their rights and support their efforts to make a better world!”

In his statement, Coyle criticized the tweet and noted that Claeys was involved in the decision and that he agreed with it.

"Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision," Coyle said. "Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

"And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

"Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way." ...

Read complete article at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-coach-tracy-claeys-player-protest/96125342/

Last edited:

"Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way." ...

Why must we suffer the idiocy of the intentionally obtuse? It was crystal clear what he meant to any thinking person. What did they “see”, he was supporting gang rape?

Saying that you think Claeys was going to be fired no matter what, is not the same thing as saying you think he misplayed the scandal.

We need to win a lot in the next few years so this stupid argument will finally go away. Claeys has moved on with his life, hopefully now Kill will finally move on with his.

Coyle was going to fire Claeys with our without the scandal/boycott because that is what new ADs do. The U finally put a financial investment into their head coach and program and we have a section of the fanbase that just insists on dredging up this stupid argument over and over and over again because they don't like the new guy.

If we finally get to winning enough on the field maybe the holdovers will finally move on and we can actually talk about football instead of obsessing over Kill and Claeys and what happened with them.

Agreed. Hopefully, Kill got his judgemental tirade out of his system. Unfortunately, the media loves dragging these scandals out for years.

What was inaccurate about it?

No one was arguing if it was accurate or not. We were pointing out how when your boss gives you a "compliment" like that, it usually means you are about to be fired. If it was a job reference, a statement like that is code for "don't hire this guy".

Saying that you think Claeys was going to be fired no matter what, is not the same thing as saying you think he misplayed the scandal.

Saying you think he was going to get fired no matter what would mean how he handled it doesn’t matter because he was getting fired anyways.

I am not going to debate with an idiot. If you think the scandal and his handling it didn’t matter, you’re an idiot.

No one was arguing if it was accurate or not. We were pointing out how when your boss gives you a "compliment" like that, it usually means you are about to be fired. If it was a job reference, a statement like that is code for "don't hire this guy".

How was it a compliment?

How was it a compliment?
Somebody posted that it was a vote of confidence or evidence of support. I think they edited their post since.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I can't imagine our qb situation today if Claeys were still here.

I think I'd stab myself.
Seth Green would be the QB and Kramer would be coming in as the next one.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I like to think TC knew he was a defensive guy, knew the offense sucked, and would try to find a guy who could bring in more QBs.

So while we still might have been stuck with the same guys, I'm not convinced TC would have been fine with that either. TC fired Limegrover, so the status quo was obviously not ok with him. Could he have gotten someone to do better, no idea.

I like to think TC knew he was a defensive guy, knew the offense sucked, and would try to find a guy who could bring in more QBs.

So while we still might have been stuck with the same guys, I'm not convinced TC would have been fine with that either. TC fired Limegrover, so the status quo was obviously not ok with him. Could he have gotten someone to do better, no idea.

I actually thought the OC he brought in was better than limegrover. Hard to tell from one year thiugh

I actually thought the OC he brought in was better than limegrover. Hard to tell from one year thiugh

I thought so too, but yeah one year, you never know.

At the very least I think it is a bit too much to assume TC's offenses would be anything like Jerry's. Could be, but at the least we knew TC wasn't happy enough to dump Limegrover, that gave me hope alone.

Top Bottom