Kill-Fleck controversy got me thinking...

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
It got me thinking about ole' Jer, who I really loved. Which got me thinking about all he did for our program. Which led me to look for the video of the 2014 Citrus Bowl Game vs. Missouri. Which gave me the opportunity to relive this golden Maxx moment in Gopher fb history, which made me smile, which I now share with y'all so that we can have a moment of joy as we await the upcoming season.

Go to 1:14:10 and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7OwRTT-5-g

It got me thinking about ole' Jer, who I really loved. Which got me thinking about all he did for our program. Which led me to look for the video of the 2014 Citrus Bowl Game vs. Missouri. Which gave me the opportunity to relive this golden Maxx moment in Gopher fb history, which made me smile, which I now share with y'all so that we can have a moment of joy as we await the upcoming season.

Thanks for posting this. I thought they'd win that game. The onside kick to start the second half — brilliant. Credit to the Missouri coaches.

More amazing than the play, after the play Liedner was 13/14 for 170 yards and a touchdown

Was at that game and still have it on mv DVR! I'll never forget Maxx Williams effort to get into the end zone on that play.

I tried to forget that game. Just another example why I’ happy with our present staff.

Didn't we have the ball at 40 with around a minute to go and we just took a knee basically?

this thread got me thinking, did kill ever win a bowl game or playoff game in his career?

My memory of that game (other than Maxx's amazing play) is having success moving the ball in the first half, and as the clock wound down, Kill pulled on the reigns and shut it down. When asked about it by the on-field person at halftime his response was "Well, we get the ball back to start the second half." How'd that work for you Jer? Just another disappointing bowl game.

this thread got me thinking, did kill ever win a bowl game or playoff game in his career?

No bowl for us - but Claeys won one in the year Kill had to step down. Northern Il won a bowl game a year Kill coached, but he didn't coach in the bowl because he took the job here.

Naturally there's a lot of sniping on this board, but coach Kill is twice the XO guy that PJ Fleck is, and a heck of a motivator besides. And he got us from the depths of Brewster to the exhilaration of the Citrus Bowl. So anybody who wants to cut him down or belittle his accomplishments doesn't deserve one second of your time.

And I say this as someone who expects Fleck to win a lot of games in Minnesota.

Naturally there's a lot of sniping on this board, but coach Kill is twice the XO guy that PJ Fleck is, and a heck of a motivator besides. And he got us from the depths of Brewster to the exhilaration of the Citrus Bowl. So anybody who wants to cut him down or belittle his accomplishments doesn't deserve one second of your time.

They'll be the same people who will mock all the RTB, Nekton and other stuff if PJ ever leaves.

JK and TC did some great things for the Gopher Football program while they were here.
PJ is doing some great things now as well and I believe will continue that going forward.

How does a person prove another person is better at the Xs and Os? After watching all the games of Kill and company, I would not conclude that he was better than Fleck. At best Kill equals Fleck.

How does a person prove another person is better at the Xs and Os? After watching all the games of Kill and company, I would not conclude that he was better than Fleck. At best Kill equals Fleck.

Kill never had games like this year's Purdue, Wisky and Ga Tech games. NEVER. And he never recruited QBs or lineman or receivers like PJ has.

Kill never had games like this year's Purdue, Wisky and Ga Tech games. NEVER. And he never recruited QBs or lineman or receivers like PJ has.

I couldn't agree more. Period. PJ has the best 3 quarterbacks on one team the Gophers ever have assembled. The O line could be the best in 30 or 40 years.

I couldn't agree more. Period. PJ has the best 3 quarterbacks on one team the Gophers ever have assembled. The O line could be the best in 30 or 40 years.

That could be a bit of a stretch on the QBs. Although I maybe quite a bit older than you. I don't think Kill ever had games like Illinois and Maryland.

And Kill beat Nebraska two years running which for us old timers was almost heart stopping. And, he beat Iowa a few times.

His offensive influence was utterly atrocious. They were better in weeks where he was away from the team. He was a solid HC with a good to great DC, X'S and O's were his biggest weakness.

Last edited:

You just moved to Minnesota? 30 or 40 years? What about Glen Mason's O lines? You are calling a kid that has not played 1 snap a best QB ever?

RUTM scared a lot of QB recruits and WRs IMHO. If only Limegrover's offense had been replaced with something more dynamic. But, that would have never happened because Jerry Kill is loyal to his assistant coaches to a fault.

I really felt bad about the outcome of his health issues. The stress of doing Mega Tongue's job pushing for the Athletic Village and the stress of his coaching responsibilities was too much to bear.

And Fleck is twice the Johnny & Joe guy that Kill is/was... at the age of 39.

And Fleck is twice the Johnny & Joe guy that Kill is/was... at the age of 39.

Fleck is 38, and I wouldn't be so sure about your comment. Kill put quite a few guys that he recruited and/or coached into the NFL, especially relative to their recruiting ratings.

Didn't we have the ball at 40 with around a minute to go and we just took a knee basically?

Yes. That's what I remember as well. Your QB is 16-17 or something and take a knee. In a bowl game? Old Country Jer really had a bad game. I think he cried about it too when there was some criticism. He did some good things here, but that season was going the be the high water mark with JerrBear at the helm.

That could be a bit of a stretch on the QBs. Although I maybe quite a bit older than you. I don't think Kill ever had games like Illinois and Maryland.

NDSU (no matter what score was)
Michigan (0-58)
Purdue (17-45)
any game against Wisconsin.

I will remain thankful for what Jerry did for our program, but don't knock the critics right now because Jerry, himself, opened the door on this whole discussion. Had he kept his mouth shut, nobody would be talking about this. One other thing, I don't know what rock you've been living under, but to state that Kill was TWICE the X's and O's guy that PJ is, is totally out of whack! The offense last year showed more imagination than I have seen in quite some time and we finally have some QB's who can throw to receivers that can actually CATCH the ball. We have also gone from a much-depleted O-line when PJ first came in (much to the credit of poor recruiting over the last 2 years of the Kill/Claeys tenure), to, what many think, will be one of the best O-lines in the BIG10 next year.

Last edited:

Fleck is 38, and I wouldn't be so sure about your comment. Kill put quite a few guys that he recruited and/or coached into the NFL, especially relative to their recruiting ratings.

If we’re talking recruiting rankings, Kill recruited 3 4-star recruits during his tenure. 2 of those 4 star recruits barely saw the field (Jeff Jones, Dior Johnson). Fleck recruited 3 4 star recruits during his first full recruiting cycle alone. It gets worse from there: Melvin Holland Jr., Isiah Gentry, Isaac Hayes, Berkley Edwards, Jamal Harbison, Andre McDonald, Donovahn Jones... all were highly touted by Kill himself. Not one of the aforementioned made an impact. This is the main reason why recruits like Rashod Bateman/Autumn Bell stick out like a sore thumb is because of what preceded them at the U under Kill’s leadership.

It’ll be interesting to see if Washington State produces any NFL talent over the next few years. If they do, I think it’s more of a testament of Claey’s coaching abilities vs Kill’s recruiting acumen. You’re right, Kill and Co. produced a handful of NFL players, but with the exception of Maxx Williams, are they any ex-Gophers on offensive side of the ball in the NFL?

To me it’s blatantly obvious that Fleck’s recruiting abilities (Johnny’s and Joe’s) is on a completely different level.

I'll snipe about any coach who loses a game for us. Like Mason looking inquisitively at the scoreboard wondering where the lead went. Or Brewster. Claeys and the disastrous Michigan game. Kill lost the bowl game for us. I'll also give credit, like Claey's gameplan for the Washington State game. That was genius.

Top Bottom