CFN early 2019 win predictions for B1G teams (Gophers at 7.5)

pk2

Reaction score
From collegefootballnews.com

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Can the Gophers beat Fresno State on the road? If so, they’re going to be 3-0, and they should have four early wins if they can get by Illinois this time around. There isn’t a game on the slate they can’t win – there aren’t any nasty road games against the East. It’s all about winning their share of the 50/50 games.

Experience-wise, the team is loaded with all of the receivers back, options in the backfield, and just enough on the line to be fine. Eight starters return on the defensive side.

CFN Early Spring Win Total Line Projection: 7.5

The rest of the B1G:

Indiana 6
Maryland 6
Michigan 9.5
Michigan State 8.5
Ohio State 10
Penn State 9
Rutgers 3.5

Illinois 5.5
Iowa 8
Nebraska 8
Northwestern 7.5
Purdue 6
Wisconsin 9

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/02/cfn-big-ten-future-win-total-lines-2019-spring-projections

Last edited:

From collegefootballnews.com

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Can the Gophers beat Fresno State on the road? If so, they’re going to be 3-0, and they should have four early wins if they can get by Illinois this time around. There isn’t a game on the slate they can’t win – there aren’t any nasty road games against the East. It’s all about winning their share of the 50/50 games.

Experience-wise, the team is loaded with all of the receivers back, options in the backfield, and just enough on the line to be fine. Eight starters return on the defensive side.

CFN Early Spring Win Total Line Projection: 7.5

The rest of the B1G:

Indiana 6
Maryland 6
Michigan 9.5
Michigan State 8.5
Ohio State 10
Penn State 9
Rutgers 3.5

Illinois 5.5
Iowa 8
Nebraska 8
Northwestern 7.5
Purdue 6
Wisconsin 9

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/02/cfn-big-ten-future-win-total-lines-2019-spring-projections

7.5 wins?

Yuck.

Nebraska finished strong last year, but so did we. Why do they deserve to be rated higher than us? I don't think any of us expect only 7.5.

Nebraska finished strong last year, but so did we. Why do they deserve to be rated higher than us? I don't think any of us expect only 7.5.
Fortunately
It is impossible for thegoohers to win 7.5 games

In that Kill/Fleck thread, someone said to get back to them when Fleck wins 9 games in a season. When i was reading it I was thinking we might be getting back to him next December.

Unless the end of 2018 was some kind of mirage, I'll be surprised if the Gophers don't win at least 9 games.

The schedule isn't exactly brutal, especially the first two-thirds.

I'm excited about this team.

Hope the half win and loss are on the road...

I think it's interesting that they predict only two teams, Rutgers and Illinois, will end up not being bowl-eligible. Twelve bowl-eligible teams from the B1G would be a bunch.

We go through this whenever some national publication seems to underrate the Gophers. They just haven't done enough to merit serious attention. Do we really expect some magazine to take a flier on the Gophers and actually predict a breakthrough season at the expense of a team that has consistently outperformed the Gophers in the past?

Based on peoples expectations on here there should be a lot of people hammering the over.

It’s nice to be optimistic but when people are asked to put up real money they find humility real fast.

It’s nice to be optimistic but when people are asked to put up real money they find humility real fast.

"Humility"?

As Gopher football fans we've been too humble, for far too long.

I don't know how closely this publication's predictions will reflect on any actual lines at the various sports books, but if it's close there are indeed going to be some interesting wagering opportunities.

Well, outside of the Kill years and certainly some of the Mason years it seems like the predicted wins has come in usually a one or two below what many predict here. I would never bet more than a nice lunch on a college athletics win total considering him many endogenous and exogenous factors turn a season. Once we get a feel for the new look team, maybe by week six the league will start to distill into different tiers of quality.

7-5 regular season is still progress, and hopefully another nice bowl matchup that we can finish 8-5.

Those would be two solid building blocks towards a hopefully very bright 2020.

I would never bet more than a nice lunch on a college athletics win total considering him many endogenous and exogenous factors turn a season. Once we get a feel for the new look team, maybe by week six the league will start to distill into different tiers of quality.

This is the truth, every year, for every team.

7-5 regular season is still progress, and hopefully another nice bowl matchup that we can finish 8-5.

Those would be two solid building blocks towards a hopefully very bright 2020.

Disagree. Considering most think they left two conference wins on the table in 2018, and have a much more favorable 2019 conference schedule, one more conference win compared to 2018 would be below most GHer's expectations.

I know, people have explained that.

People need to be patient. Other teams are improving too. They’re not just standing still while we move forward. Each team we beat last year will want us bad this year. Just like the same for us against those teams that beat us.

Progress is progress. I’m not changing my tune off that.

Hey if they win 8 or 9 regular season, great! I still get to enjoy that just as much.

I see this year as a golden opportunity, for several reasons.

1) If we have what we think we have in Fleck, this is probably our last chance to catch people taking the Gophers lightly

2) Momentum and player confidence from the way we ended the 2018 season should be quite high

3) I was very much encouraged by the analytic that had the Gophers ranked #10 in returning talent, and by the importance of that stat historically

4) I know we say this every year, but I think Wisconsin will be down a bit (not a lot, but enough)

5) Purdue and Nebraska are (in my opinion) both somewhat overrated

6) The schedule is quite favorable; most of our tougher games are at TCF

Purdue, NW, and Wisconsin won’t be taking the Gophers lightly. That I can guarantee you. But the other six Big Ten games you have a point.

Purdue, NW, and Wisconsin won’t be taking the Gophers lightly. That I can guarantee you. But the other six Big Ten games you have a point.

You make a very good point. Especially regarding Purdue and Wisconsin.

I think The Axe will take on a whole new level of meaning to the Badgers in 2019. Some of our Sconnie friends had become insufferably arrogant about owning us, and then — surprise! — they got hit by a very large truck.

Not only did we beat them last season, but we dominated them. They will want revenge, no question.

Purdue got embarrassed, by a team that had ____ the bed against Illinois (their rival). Game is at Purdue week 4 ... guarantee they have that one circled.

NW could’ve easily lost to us here, as well. Tough game. I think they won’t overlook us. But we are due for a win against them, given the last two years.

Purdue got embarrassed, by a team that had ____ the bed against Illinois (their rival). Game is at Purdue week 4 ... guarantee they have that one circled.

NW could’ve easily lost to us here, as well. Tough game. I think they won’t overlook us. But we are due for a win against them, given the last two years.

I would think that Indiana is a bigger rival for Purdue.

Two more conference wins would be great.

One more win would still be progress, I guess.

Top Bottom