It's Only a Matter of Time Before Hoiberg Gets Back Into Coaching. But Where? When?

He states his preference is to remain in the NBA, but is keeping his options open.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...hoiberg-next-coaching-job-20190220-story.html

If he's willing to go back to college, he can basically pick from any spring openings available. He has to be high on the list. Speculation is that he is not high on recruiting, though, which could be a major drawback. Regardless, he will draw a big paycheck for at least one more contract in pros or college. I woudn't be surprised if like the article says, he takes the year off, collects the $5 million from the Bulls, and takes the pick of the litter next year.

This is why I would pass on him. If he "settles" for a college job now because he can't find an NBA job to his liking, how long will he stay? Not for the long haul I suspect.

Yet you want to hire a coach in his mind 60s?

I’m wrong. Ben howland is in his early 60s

Don't know what kind of percentage I'd put on it, but I think Fred will be with the Wolves in some capacity next season. Taylor loves him and would hire him in a heartbeat, it's just a matter of whether Fred wants to be here.

I heard Fred is not interested in a gopher job if available.

It was leaked to Jeff Goodman and KC Johnson that Fred was interested in the Gopher job almost as soon as the news of his Bulls firing broke.

It was leaked to Jeff Goodman and KC Johnson that Fred was interested in the Gopher job almost as soon as the news of his Bulls firing broke.

Fred has one of the most active agents in the business in terms of leaking information to the press. Without that agent, Doogie would have almost nothing to blab about.

Yet you want to hire a coach in his mind 60s?

Ben Howland is 61, not mid-60's. Most coaches are coaching to 70 now. So yes, I would hire him. He would be an upgrade and likely give us 8-10 years if it goes well. Eric Musselman, who everyone wants (including me) is 54.

Ben Howland is 61, not mid-60's. Most coaches are coaching to 70 now. So yes, I would hire him. He would be an upgrade and likely give us 8-10 years if it goes well. Eric Musselman, who everyone wants (including me) is 54.

Dude, 7 years is a huge difference.

You expect 8-10 in the previous post. Yes, 7 years is a huge difference when you get up in age.

Yes. I think a 61 year old Howland would easily give us 8-10 years. And the same for Musselman. Anyone who lasts that long was a home run hire.

Yes. I think a 61 year old Howland would easily give us 8-10 years. And the same for Musselman. Anyone who lasts that long was a home run hire.

Is it known that Howland looks at this as any kind of upgrade.

Is it known that Howland looks at this as any kind of upgrade.

Known? No. Would you rather live in Mississippi or MN? Coach at a football school in a football conference or in a large metro with lots of talent?

Known? No. Would you rather live in Mississippi or MN? Coach at a football school in a football conference or in a large metro with lots of talent?

I would never want to live in this climate and i do know that as a metro area it is not a top ranked talent base. Track top 100 players since 2000 and it is no big deal. Guessing Ben has established strong regional contacts where he is. Looks like they will not fire him as his buyout is 1.8. Would we pay that and Richard's ? I would love to see him slug it out in the conference but this year's final chapter has not been written. We all have our biases to where we live or where we are from. People from Minnesota think it is the greatest. I am from Carmel CA. and think it is the greatest but i have lived all over so not provincial.

I would never want to live in this climate and i do know that as a metro area it is not a top ranked talent base. Track top 100 players since 2000 and it is no big deal. Guessing Ben has established strong regional contacts where he is. Looks like they will not fire him as his buyout is 1.8. Would we pay that and Richard's ? I would love to see him slug it out in the conference but this year's final chapter has not been written. We all have our biases to where we live or where we are from. People from Minnesota think it is the greatest. I am from Carmel CA. and think it is the greatest but i have lived all over so not provincial.

I'm not saying MN is great. I'm saying it's better than Miss. St. I'm saying it's a decent job with a decent talent base to recruit from. As for the $$, we can and have paid when we wanted a guy (see Tubby).

Top Bottom