STrib: Sweet move by Lindsay Whalen on a big night for Lakeville North's star player

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sinker:

A group of elementary school girls had a fun night in Lakeville watching Lauren Jensen, a 5-foot-9 junior guard, break her school scoring record with 47 points during Lakeville North's 84-74 overtime victory over Apple Valley.

It was the fourth time this season that Jensen has broken the school record, which had been 35 points by Liz Podominick in 2002. Jensen has games of 37, 42 and 43 points, in addition to the 47 she scored Tuesday. But that's not what we're going to dwell on, beyond pointing out that Jensen broke the record this time with Gophers coach Lindsay Whalen in the gym. (Podominick, was Minnesota's Miss Basketball in 2003 and a teammate of Whalen's at the University of Minnesota.)

But that's not what we're going to dwell on, either.

We're here for the elementary school kids, who asked Whalen for a picture. She obliged.

Later, during a time out, Whalen called over the girls, who play in the Lakeville North youth program. It was just to hang out, said Mary Lahammer, the Twin Cities Public Television correspondent. Her daughter plays on the varsity and Lahammer took this photo.

In addition to watching Jensen, Lahammer reported, "Whalen was awesome, repeatedly chatting with a gaggle of young ballers."

howard_1550680877_whay3.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/sweet-mo...-for-lakeville-north-s-star-player/506102972/

Go Gophers!!

Well, if she is going to be coaching for a long time it doesn't hurt to build relationships at a young age! :) And it is just good for the sport.

The question is...Did Whalen offer scholarships to any of those elementary school kids?

Seriously, I'm happy to see that Whalen continues to be a frequent guest at many Minnesota high school games. I really feel that with some of the upcoming talent in the Minnesota state high school ranks, the Gophers could quickly develop a nationally renowned program with mostly Minnesota kids. Yes, it's also important to recruit regional and national talent, but national success will start with local recruiting.

Positive recruiting practices can produce positive results. There are a large number of outstanding girls basketball players in this state. Lindsay recognizes that it is extremely important that she recruits this state hard and she is. By recruiting the best of these girls she can build a very solid program.

It's never a bad thing for players to see their coach among the masses. I feel like Whalen offers so much more of a 'one of us' vibe versus just being another old man yelling at me to pop out harder.

The more Lindsey works the room, the better the relationship she will have with players statewide.....this will only help build the program.

I think she is doing an excellent job of getting to know the high school coaches and recruiting locally. Building these relationships will pay off in the future.

Hopefully, she can convince most of top players to stay home to play with the Gophers.

One thing to fondly remember during Lindsay's last year as a Gopher was all those young girls at the game wearing Gopher gear and being so excited. Yes, it helps the program but just something really positive about how she is such as role model.

This lady just wins. I won't expect anything different as a college coach.

Really awesome to see and read this. Building a connection to your community is huge and hopefully it will resonate with future talent and make their dream to play for her and the University of Minnesota. I really love her involvement already and I know that it will only continue to grow. Her heart and passion for this community shows. Being one of us really helps.

Whalen stated she doesn't know if she can say why she was in Lakeville that night. Well the paper put out Lauren Jensen's name. I know Whalen probably cant say "I was there recruiting Lauren Jensen" but couldn't she have said she was there recruiting or is that something NCAA doesn't like the coaches talking about?

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-...episode/lindsay-whalen-joins-92noon-30594022/

Whalen and Paul Allen yesterday: Lindsay fleshes out the Lakeville visit.

Top Bottom