Minnesota Recruits of 2020

Agreed, I would rather have Hadley over Walton imo. I think Walton is maybe a little more refined, but I also think his game is limited due to atheticism. Hadley has really come on as a shooter and player who can attack the rim. He would be a perfect wing type player for us that can score inside and outside. He is visiting yet again tomorrow night against Michigan...have to think an offer is coming soon(which would be his first).
Hadley will explode over the summer. He'll be playing alongside Suggs and Holmgren so there will be many involved sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hadley will explode over the summer. He'll be playing alongside Suggs and Holmgren so there will be many involved sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What offers do you see him getting. So far 6 Big 10 teams have passed. Do you know why ?

It's still early but it is a bit alarming that there is not a single "crystal ball" put in for the Gophers for ANY 2020 recruit. Scroll through the top 150 or so and almost every power 5 school you can think of is represented on someone's list. Obviously, this is not the best judge of anything, but it's EXACTLY like 2019 was at this time last year...ZERO Gopher buzz on anyone despite 3-4 prospects being instate guys. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

This many years in to his tenure, despite him being on the hot seat, you would expect at least one of Suggs/Garcia/Danja/Carlson to be a strong Gopher lean. Pitino has been the coach since they were in 6th grade.

It's still early but it is a bit alarming that there is not a single "crystal ball" put in for the Gophers for ANY 2020 recruit. Scroll through the top 150 or so and almost every power 5 school you can think of is represented on someone's list. Obviously, this is not the best judge of anything, but it's EXACTLY like 2019 was at this time last year...ZERO Gopher buzz on anyone despite 3-4 prospects being instate guys. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

This many years in to his tenure, despite him being on the hot seat, you would expect at least one of Suggs/Garcia/Danja/Carlson to be a strong Gopher lean. Pitino has been the coach since they were in 6th grade.

I don't think any of the 2020 guys will even think about committing until the Gophers make the tourney. I would imagine they are at least aware that Pitino could get canned if we end up missing this year. Plus it still is fairly early in the 2020 cycle, lot of guys wait til after their junior season.

Same thing. You are making a statement with your question. Give us the lowdown.

Robert Jones is a hard commit to DU. He reminds me of Parish in that he just does the dirty work and scores occasionally and it doesn't bother him. He has been putting up really good numbers with Garcia out.

As a Gopher fan in Denver, I would love to see him at DU. They usually never have a good post player bigger than 6-7. But I could also see his offers go up and he reconsider. He is worth a gopher offer. We just have our sights set on brighter objects right now.

Gophers need another legit 3pt shooter. High school slashing wings are a dime a dozen. We need someone who can shoot and hopefully has enough athleticism to not be a defensive liability.

Same thing. You are making a statement with your question. Give us the lowdown.

One Big 10 assistant told me he simply was not good enough for the Big 10. I am not sure i buy that and thought it might be that someone else knows something.Perhaps he was injured, if not who knows but right now as a junior he is without a single offer.

Robert Jones is a hard commit to DU. He reminds me of Parish in that he just does the dirty work and scores occasionally and it doesn't bother him. He has been putting up really good numbers with Garcia out.

As a Gopher fan in Denver, I would love to see him at DU. They usually never have a good post player bigger than 6-7. But I could also see his offers go up and he reconsider. He is worth a gopher offer. We just have our sights set on brighter objects right now.

Jones signed with Denver during the early signing period....

Jones would have to sit out a year I think. He has been dominate since Garcia went out. A miss by the Gophers I think.

One Big 10 assistant told me he simply was not good enough for the Big 10. I am not sure i buy that and thought it might be that someone else knows something.Perhaps he was injured, if not who knows but right now as a junior he is without a single offer.

I don't understand the love for Hadley besides him being from Minnesota. He can't go left. He is not really a shooter he is more of a slasher with an improving jumpshot. He isn't even a good defender. He is a mid major player definitely not Big Ten level.

I think sometimes we get too crazy with the wanting Minnesota kids to get offers. We complain about out of state kids with the same skill sets as a Jones, Walton, or Hadley but since they are in state kids we consider them misses if they go to a smaller school. I will never understand it. I have watched Hadley over 10 times the last 2 years and He is no better than the Goodnews Kpegeol kid from North St Paul who signed with Kansas State. No one was saying the Gophers needed to offer Kpegeol last year.

First, How many Scholarships do we have for 2020?

How do you feel our chances are at getting these studs to stay at home?

National Rank / Name / Height / Position / Links to Minnesota team / % chance to sign

10 / Jalen Suggs / 6'5" / PG / "Cousin" of Tre Williams 2019 recruit / 30%

30 / Dawson Garcia / 6' 11" / PF / ????????????? / ??

50 / Dain Danja / 6' 8" / C / ????????????? / ??

70 / Ben Carlson / 6' 9" / PF / ??????????? / ??

157 / Kerwin Walton / 6' 4" / SG / ???????????? / ??

I don't pretend to know where any of these guys are leaning towards, hopefully all are Minnesota leans.

At least none of them go to Lakeville North!

Who do you think we have a chance at?

Suggs: 33%. He might actually play for Fleck as well.
Garcia: 10%. The blue bloods will be all over him and might go to a prep school next year aka Rashad Vaughn.
Dainja: 80% Though I don't like his work ethic or attitude, kid could be a solid player and is one of the strongest HS Jr's I've seen
Carlson: 10% Fits well in the swing offense of Wisconsin, I'd guess he goes there.
Walton: 90% Would be a great fit here and will be a heck of a 4 yr player. Kalscheur-esque but bigger and stronger.

In the last 5 or so years and counting, Minnesota highschool basketball is sure turning out some nice recruits. Before, it only seemed once every handful of years you would get a guy like Rickert or Humphries. Now you are getting those level athletes seemingly every 1 or 2 years, and then the 2nd tier prospects are pretty good too.

I don't understand the love for Hadley besides him being from Minnesota. He can't go left. He is not really a shooter he is more of a slasher with an improving jumpshot. He isn't even a good defender. He is a mid major player definitely not Big Ten level.

Meh, you were also super down on Gabe as a recruit.

There we go.

I think sometimes we get too crazy with the wanting Minnesota kids to get offers. We complain about out of state kids with the same skill sets as a Jones, Walton, or Hadley but since they are in state kids we consider them misses if they go to a smaller school. I will never understand it. I have watched Hadley over 10 times the last 2 years and He is no better than the Goodnews Kpegeol kid from North St Paul who signed with Kansas State. No one was saying the Gophers needed to offer Kpegeol last year.

Respectfully disagree but hey that's the fun of recruiting. I think Hadley is a much much better scorer and shooter than Goodnews ever was. With that being said, I think Goodnews is a better defender for sure. I'd have been happy to land Kpegol by the way. He will end up being a really solid 4 year player for Weber.

Is Walton 6-4 or 6-6, it does make a difference. If he isn't super athletic at 6-6 he could guard small forwards at 6-4, not likely.

Is Walton 6-4 or 6-6, it does make a difference. If he isn't super athletic at 6-6 he could guard small forwards at 6-4, not likely.

Walton is plenty athletic and I've seen him listed at 6'5-6'6" consistently. A lot of recruiting site measurements are from a year or two ago I'm sure.

Gophers seem to do better recruiting Howard Pulley than they do D1 Minnesota. Walton plays for D1. As far as I can remember, the only recent guy from D1 we've landed is Michael Hurt...which hasn't gone super well. And I think Hurt's dad owns D1 MN?

Top Bottom