Mike Riley remains grateful he got to coach 'at such a special place' like Nebraska

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Omaha World Herald:

There may be some things Mike Riley regrets about his time at Nebraska, but he tries not to dwell on them.

The former Husker coach went 19-19 over three seasons before getting fired in 2017. He'll admit that record falls far short of expectations, but there are positives he takes from that experience.

"I'm just generally very happy that I got to do that at such a special place," Riley said Tuesday during an appearance on "The Bottom Line." "I met so many good people. It was fun to get to be a part of."

Riley is now head coach of the San Antonio Commanders in the Alliance of American Football. He said he's "just glad to be coaching still." And he hopes his time at Nebraska taught him how to be a better coach.

"If you can reflect on it," Riley said, "you can maybe get better from the experience when you didn't exactly do as well as you wanted to. I hope it was helpful in that regard. And yes I have reflected on some things I would've done differently probably, but at the same time I try to just be thankful for it."

Riley does have some regrets regarding the change he made at defensive coordinator following the 2016 season. He fired his longtime assistant, Mark Banker, and replaced him with Bob Diaco.

The Huskers switched to a 3-4 scheme, then had one of the worst defensive seasons in program history.

"It was too big of a change for our people to go from the 4-3 to the 3-4 in one year," Riley said, "and expect us to function as well as we had instead of just taking what we had and improving it."

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_0790e86e-fd0a-5408-8d86-80df3303f687.html

Go Gophers!!

How classy. I've heard that Riley is just the best guy. Wish him all the luck!

From the full interview found on www.cnbcExTreme.com

Riley does have some regrets regarding the change he made at defensive coordinator following the 2016 season. He fired his longtime assistant, Mark Banker, and replaced him with Bob Diaco.

Riley stated: "Shoot, at least I didn't hire Robb Smith! I was gonna hire Tracy Claeys, but coach Kill told me that I had to clean the shower after he used it. Told me he'd knock my glasses off if I didn't."

Last edited:

Why didn't he criticize Frost? Maybe throw some barbs about his personal life?

Hey .... I mean when you get 80k+ people to cram into that stadium .... week after week .... year after year ... decade after decade ....... all the while pretending that it's still 1997 and people actually give a fart about the Huskers ..... yeah! That place is "special" !!

Hey .... I mean when you get 80k+ people to cram into that stadium .... week after week .... year after year ... decade after decade ....... all the while pretending that it's still 1997 and people actually give a fart about the Huskers ..... yeah! That place is "special" !!

In Nebraska it still is 1997.

It is actually 90K people which is 80K+ so we are both right. What else do they have to do in Nebraska? Nothing. They come up here to see the Huskers play and stare at our tall buildings.

It is actually 90K people which is 80K+ so we are both right. What else do they have to do in Nebraska? Nothing. They come up here to see the Huskers play and stare at our tall buildings.

I was thinking it was only in the low 80’s so I was wrong. Their official capacity is around 85k as of 2017, but they get more people than that into game stadium, closer to 90.

Top Bottom