Reusse on Fleck's recruiting: "His recruiting is OK so far."

What do you mean?

You think the gopher guy who got ejected wasn’t instructed to head hunt the kicker?

You don’t think the gophers lost a game they should have won given the situation and the expectation to compete in the west?

Granted it was early in the season and they could’ve recovered. In my mind that game changed them from a contender and a 10 win type of team to a team that’d be second tier like they finished.
Followed it up by scoring 7 points with a senior quarterback against Iowa the next week.

Wow, if a coach won nine games despite throwing away a game by coaching that incompetently, it must be really embarrassing to be a coaching staff that fails to win nine games despite not handicapping themselves like that.

If there’s one guy that understands college football recruiting, it’s Reussw.

i disagree. the guys fleck is bringing in consistently have more p5 offers than the previous few staffs.

What does that have to do with it? Being better doesn’t mean it isn’t still just OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently you don’t think popping a kicker after the play is over is a cheap shot.

That’s fine.
2/3 plays in that video are really bad cheap shots because they lay out the kicker after the play is over

I'm thinking you are in the minority...of one...with this take.

That, or you could be a nice guy and give me the Cliff Notes version.

Cliff Notes: in a misguided effort to show support for a new coach some felt the need to belittle a successful season beyond the point of absurdity. If I recall correctly, we were basically told the players on that team couldn’t tie their own shows and only by playing the easiest schedule in NCAA history combined with luck equivalent to winning the lottery were they able to win more than 2 games. That 9 win season wasn’t a “real” 9 win season - so it became a 9* win season. Pretty crafty if you ask me. At least that is how I remember it.

I struggle with this theory. Does one bad cop make all policemen bad? Rivals, like all the other services employ regional staff to evaluate. Whoever at Rivals handled the area where this "recruit" came out of obviously took the short-cut to doing his job. They very well could be an excellent evaluator but just got lazy and caught. Anyway, from my experience it comes down to the person doing the evaluation and not the "service" per se. Rivals is sometimes more accurate in their ratings and sometimes 247 is. ESPN has their own issues and I don't trust anything outside of their top 5 of each position group as a whole.

Doesnt change the fact that we dont know which other recruits were fake analyzed. It would be quite the statistical anomaly if the only guy they fake reported on was the fake recruit.

I'll take them one at a time:

1) I have no reason to think the player was instructed to "head hunt". If you have some evidence that he was, and you present it, I could be persuaded. But I've never seen any. Also, that Penn State kicker was perfectly okay with having built a bit of a rep for himself as a guy who was a "real football player", and not afraid to get physical. He was a-okay with dishing it out; therefore, he should be expecting other players to reply in kind.

2) The Gophers did compete in the West that season, to my way of thinking.

3) As far as being "a game they should have won", I don't see it. Playing Penn State in Happy Valley is a tough assignment most any season. And Penn State ended up Big Ten Champions that particular year, if I recall. Since when is it an expectation that any Gopher team will beat the Big Ten Champs in their own stadium? I mean, I love the high expectations, but...that's really high.

4) You're absolutely right about the 10 wins... if they had won that game, they would have had exactly 10 wins.

So in your scoring, 9 wins is "second tier" and 10 wins would have been... what? I guess "first tier."

All in all, I was disappointed they lost, but proud and encouraged by the way they competed against the eventual champs. A moral victory in some ways.

I know, I know... there is no such thing as a moral victory. Just ask a sports expert, like Barreiro.

Like the way you post.

Wow, if a coach won nine games despite throwing away a game by coaching that incompetently, it must be really embarrassing to be a coaching staff that fails to win nine games despite not handicapping themselves like that.

Did you know it is possible to evaluate two seasons independently of each other without comparing them?

I would also say Fleck hasn’t been that impressive so far but I’m not ready to give up on him.

Wisconsin game is encouraging. Illinois and Maryland games discouraging. Kind of blah on the whole. We will see how the next season goes.

Cliff Notes: in a misguided effort to show support for a new coach some felt the need to belittle a successful season beyond the point of absurdity. If I recall correctly, we were basically told the players on that team couldn’t tie their own shows and only by playing the easiest schedule in NCAA history combined with luck equivalent to winning the lottery were they able to win more than 2 games. That 9 win season wasn’t a “real” 9 win season - so it became a 9* win season. Pretty crafty if you ask me. At least that is how I remember it.

That’s more complicated than what I remember.

The origin of the asterisk as I recall came from winning a close game over Rutger’s, which “shouldn’t have been close”. That win was deemed a “loss” by many who didn’t like the Claeys hire. Thus, the win took on an * because it wasn’t really a “win”.

That’s more complicated than what I remember.

The origin of the asterisk as I recall came from winning a close game over Rutger’s, which “shouldn’t have been close”. That win was deemed a “loss” by many who didn’t like the Claeys hire. Thus, the win took on an * because it wasn’t really a “win”.

Sounds right. I should have remembered that.

It was a 9 win season that didn't excite anyone. We didn't beat a rival or a top 25 team. I'm sure most fans enjoyed 2018 more than 2016 - I know I did.

It was a 9 win season that didn't excite anyone. We didn't beat a rival or a top 25 team. I'm sure most fans enjoyed 2018 more than 2016 - I know I did.

Can you go back through history and let me know what other seasons “didn’t excite anyone” so I can put an * next to their records in my Guide. I have 2016 marked (thank you), but suspect there may be others? Thanks in advance.

Can you go back through history and let me know what other seasons “didn’t excite anyone” so I can put an * next to their records in my Guide. I have 2016 marked (thank you), but suspect there may be others? Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade for your dream season of Gopher football. There have been plenty of seasons that weren't exciting. But I would imagine there aren't any other 9+ win seasons where we didn't beat a rival or top 25 team.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade for your dream season of Gopher football. There have been plenty of seasons that weren't exciting. But I would imagine there aren't any other 9+ win seasons where we didn't beat a rival or top 25 team.

OK. I didn’t know all the other criteria. This makes perfect sense now. Thanks JG - watch out for that troll Swingman, will ya?

2003 was close but we beat a 7-6 Wisconsin team.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

The 2018 season was the best one in, well, maybe 15 years.

Since we are discussing the 2016 season, and I don't think it's be discussed on here much, but there were other reasons people weren't happy with the 9* win season. (I attribute the * to the win over Rutgers).

1. To understand it in it's entirety you need to have had high expectations going into the season. (Big Ten West Title was in reach and some were thinking due to schedule it could be a 10-12 win season.

2. First game was against an Oregon St team who would go on to win 4 games. Rather than open the season and dispose of them easily, we were losing 23-14 at the end of the third. We won 30-23, but it wasn't a great start.

3. Game two we beat Indiana St soundly, then game three we play Colorado St. Gophers win 31-24.

4. Game 4 we go to Penn St to play a team who lost to Michigan the week prior by a score of 49-10. Gophers were expected to win this game and despite going to overtime with a team that would contend for the Big Ten, losing this game sucked because it appeared to be a bad loss against and ordinary team. For Gopher fans this was disappointing because it was the first real sign we weren't going to be contenders for the Big Ten.

5. Week 5. Iowa at home. Finally win Floyd. Nope. Lost 14-7. Winning the West just got tougher.

6. Week 6 - 9. Easiest part of the schedule. Gophers make hay, but in home game against Rutgers they almost blow it after being up 21-3 end of first quarter.

7. We finish the season mired in new headlines the rest of the season and beat Northwestern while losing to Nebraska and Wisconsin. Get bowl game bid while team is in disarray and fan base is split on coaching decision. It just simply wasn't a great time to be an avid Gopher fan. Win entertaining Bowl game which was nice, and especially delicious if you wanted to see Kaler and Coyle pissed off, but in the end, they would get their revenge.

So yes, 9 wins, but the mix in the way they won some, and the expectations about the season didn't help the perspective on the season.

Belittling the 2016 season is dumb, but also stupid.

Since we are discussing the 2016 season, and I don't think it's be discussed on here much, but there were other reasons people weren't happy with the 9* win season. (I attribute the * to the win over Rutgers).

1. To understand it in it's entirety you need to have had high expectations going into the season. (Big Ten West Title was in reach and some were thinking due to schedule it could be a 10-12 win season.

2. First game was against an Oregon St team who would go on to win 4 games. Rather than open the season and dispose of them easily, we were losing 23-14 at the end of the third. We won 30-23, but it wasn't a great start.

3. Game two we beat Indiana St soundly, then game three we play Colorado St. Gophers win 31-24.

4. Game 4 we go to Penn St to play a team who lost to Michigan the week prior by a score of 49-10. Gophers were expected to win this game and despite going to overtime with a team that would contend for the Big Ten, losing this game sucked because it appeared to be a bad loss against and ordinary team. For Gopher fans this was disappointing because it was the first real sign we weren't going to be contenders for the Big Ten.

5. Week 5. Iowa at home. Finally win Floyd. Nope. Lost 14-7. Winning the West just got tougher.

6. Week 6 - 9. Easiest part of the schedule. Gophers make hay, but in home game against Rutgers they almost blow it after being up 21-3 end of first quarter.

7. We finish the season mired in new headlines the rest of the season and beat Northwestern while losing to Nebraska and Wisconsin. Get bowl game bid while team is in disarray and fan base is split on coaching decision. It just simply wasn't a great time to be an avid Gopher fan. Win entertaining Bowl game which was nice, and especially delicious if you wanted to see Kaler and Coyle pissed off, but in the end, they would get their revenge.

So yes, 9 wins, but the mix in the way they won some, and the expectations about the season didn't help the perspective on the season.

The 9 wins is really impressive

Of all of the gophers average seasons post 1967 it was one of the top 5 most above average. No question.

Dream season? Haven’t heard anyone call it a dream season.

But:

We were in every game.

We were prepared for every game

Didn’t lose to a team with a losing record

Didn’t get blown out of the stadium by a team with a losing record. Once let alone twice.

Biggest margin of defeat - 14 points

Average margin of defeat - 7.75 points

Had the 21st ranked defense in the country even with the loss of key DBs throughout the season.

Was no lower than 8th in any of the special teams categories including #1 in the country in punt returns and #2 in return coverage.

And the weakness of the team, the offense, jumped 17 spots in the rankings vs a year prior as a new OC and QB coach were brought in to address issues on offense (no argument it was good, but did show signs of improvement).

Dream season? No. To your point we lost both rivalry games, penn state was a disappointment even though we did something no one else in the country did by hold Barkley in check until overtime.

Good season? Yes. Some good wins and good coaching during the season.

The only people on this board trying to make the 2016 season into something it wasn’t is you, and an Overzealous group of Flecktites (not including you in that group) who can’t handle the fact that PJ Fleck didn’t invent football at the U and just accept Coyle hired his guy which was his plan from the day he was hired. The narrative being pushed beyond that is simply false.

Last edited:

9 wins is 9 wins, no matter how you spin it.

There are no asterisks on wins. There is no asterisk on a win over Rutgers, Oregon State, or any other victory. It just doesn't work that way. It never has. It is pure nonsense to put an asterisk on any Gopher football win.

Here at Minnesota, winning 9 games in a football season has been an extremely rare occurrence. Note: I said it has been rare. Past tense.

That's all changing now. So buckle up, and leave asterisks behind.

I like his strategy. Addressed Oline in a big way last year and Dline in a big way this year and has gotten some play makers to commit. But you can't really argue what he's saying. Being 10th in the B1G is barely average = OK.

Lets not forget if we take the LS and K out of this class, it is right up there with 2018 as the top two classes in the internet era. We are getting better talent that we did with Kill - hard for anyone to say otherwise.

Lets not forget if we take the LS and K out of this class, it is right up there with 2018 as the top two classes in the internet era. We are getting better talent that we did with Kill - hard for anyone to say otherwise.

So if we take kids out our class is better? Think of how silly that sounds.

Also, the question is whether his recruiting is OK or not. How his classes compare to Kill’s or any coach anywhere doesn’t matter in this discussion. They are terrible in comparison to Saban.

Last years class - 7th in the B1G, 2nd in west
This years class - 10th in B1G, 5th in west

So no one is arguing against the talent is better as measured by recruiting rankings. But relative to our competition in the west higher overall ranking doesn’t matter when everyone else is higher too.

So if we take kids out our class is better? Think of how silly that sounds.

Also, the question is whether his recruiting is OK or not. How his classes compare to Kill’s or any coach anywhere doesn’t matter in this discussion. They are terrible in comparison to Saban.

Then 9 wins is just Okay too. 42 teams won 9 games or more in 2016. We aren't comparing the 9 win season to other gopher seasons.

Then 9 wins is just Okay too. 42 teams won 9 games or more in 2016. We aren't comparing the 9 win season to other gopher seasons.

It is pretty obvious our recruiting has got better. That statement has nothing to do with rankings either. Let’s be honest, the rankings in the B1G haven’t been impressive so we all better hope we can outperform those. So, although improved, there is an absolute push from many to elevate it as if it is something it isn’t. Pat doesn’t feel that need. But it’s Pat so it will just be ignored.

Reusse was bored so he takes the time to rile the readers. Shocked that he is still married. Can't imagine any woman wanting to have sex with this slob.

Dude, he was an abundance of what all women want: high status.

Top Bottom