Reusse on Fleck's recruiting: "His recruiting is OK so far."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

i disagree. the guys fleck is bringing in consistently have more p5 offers than the previous few staffs.

Forgot about that guy

I cant even make fun of his ratings anymore because his radio show got canceled

I do like the recruiting from the standpoint is there seems to be an offensive strategy to the recruiting that’s working. Don’t see it as much on the defensive side.

Under kill, Claeys, and Brewster I didn’t necessarily see this offensive recruiting strategy

I do like the recruiting from the standpoint is there seems to be an offensive strategy to the recruiting that’s working. Don’t see it as much on the defensive side.

Under kill, Claeys, and Brewster I didn’t necessarily see this offensive recruiting strategy

What do you mean by this? What is the offensive recruiting strategy that is working? What is the defensive strategy that you don't see working?

I think Fleck is clearly putting an emphasis on the DLine is having far greater success there than anyone else has had here in the "recruiting sites" era.

Reusse saying it's "OK" is almost a compliment.

If Gophers go on to have a 8-10 win season, I will be anxious to read about how weak our schedule was.

I like his strategy. Addressed Oline in a big way last year and Dline in a big way this year and has gotten some play makers to commit. But you can't really argue what he's saying. Being 10th in the B1G is barely average = OK.

If Gophers go on to have a 8-10 win season, I will be anxious to read about how weak our schedule was.

Denigrating a nine win season is something only Reusse would do, and certainly would never happen on this board.

You are exactly right. If the Gophers win some games this year, you will hear — constantly — about the weak schedule. Any Twin Cities sports fan can see, in advance, what the narrative of the sports media in this town will be, even way in advance. They have become completely predictable.

To be fair, the schedule is one that the Gophers should be able to take advantage of.

But while the "easy" schedule, the "easy" schedule, the "easy" schedule will not be the only story worth telling when it comes to the 2019 Gopher football team, you can bet it will be the one read we hear about most often.

Note, several posters on Gopherhole have had no problem with being critical of the 9 win season that Tracy Claeys had in 2016.

Reusse response that Flecks recruiting is OK in response to someone else's tweet that "his recruiting is outstanding".

"OK" seems more accurate than "outstanding", based on recruiting service rankings.

Note, several posters on Gopherhole have had no problem with being critical of the 9 win season that Tracy Claeys had in 2016.

Reusse response that Flecks recruiting is OK in response to someone else's tweet that "his recruiting is outstanding".

"OK" seems more accurate than "outstanding", based on recruiting service rankings.

I'd agree with that.

I have often criticized Claey's 9* win season and outlined the level of competition we beat that year.

Last edited:

I'd agree with that.

I have often criticized Claey's 9* win season and outlined the level of competition we beat that year.

Interesting.

And how do you feel about the 2019 schedule? If the team wins nine games in 2019, will it be 9* games, in your mind?

This seems to be the most fair take Reusse has had since PJ has arrived. Objectively the recruiting has taken a step up, but it's not "outstanding." "OK" seems like a pretty fair middle ground.

Reusse was bored so he takes the time to rile the readers. Shocked that he is still married. Can't imagine any woman wanting to have sex with this slob.

Depends on how you look at it. Based on the recruiting services, it is OK. Those same services once thought Tim Tebow was the best high school QB in the US. On the other hand, compared to gopher mens basketball, he is doing a great job.

Interesting.

And how do you feel about the 2019 schedule? If the team wins nine games in 2019, will it be 9* games, in your mind?

If we go 0-fer in trophy games it'll be disappointing

Recruiting service rankings gave a mythical player a 3* ranking based on offers. There is a lot more to it than a star ranking and what a recruiting service says. Do fleck recruits pass the eye test, emphatic yes.

Depends on how you look at it. Based on the recruiting services, it is OK. Those same services once thought Tim Tebow was the best high school QB in the US. On the other hand, compared to gopher mens basketball, he is doing a great job.

Is this meant to be a slight at recruiting services? Are you saying they ranked Tebow correctly, or incorrectly?

Of all the people you could choose to bash the recruiting services you picked a guy who won the heisman and 2 natty's??????

Every recruiting class should be better than the previous. Kids are better equipped and trained than yester-years. The point is that even with a notable increase in perceived talent (star rankings, yada yada), we still sit 10th out of 14 schools in the conference. That is below average for the conference, but above average for the country. I think 'okay' is a reasonable assessment.

Of all the people you could choose to bash the recruiting services you picked a guy who won the heisman and 2 natty's??????

For sure a strange pick ... Hayo Carpenter was mis-evaluated but not Tebow...

+1

If we are going to bash them for something it should be the 3 star rating they gave a non existent player. No one should ever cite Rivals as evidence of the quality of a recruit again, because we have no way of knowing who got the same "evaluation" as the fake player they rated.

Interesting.

If the teams we beat have the following Sagarin rankings I won't be any more impressed.

Washington State 34
Northwestern 35
Colorado St 72
Oregon State 75
Maryland 88
Illinois 111
Purdue 126
Rutgers 156
Indiana State 174

Also, that 2016 season was supposed to be a Big Ten West title season and we underperformed.

Recruiting service rankings gave a mythical player a 3* ranking based on offers. There is a lot more to it than a star ranking and what a recruiting service says. Do fleck recruits pass the eye test, emphatic yes.

Well that's swell news as we can now all expect improvement on Flecks 2.5 Big 10 wins per year based on your visual skills. Happy days are here.

If the teams we beat have the following Sagarin rankings I won't be any more impressed.

Washington State 34
Northwestern 35
Colorado St 72
Oregon State 75
Maryland 88
Illinois 111
Purdue 126
Rutgers 156
Indiana State 174

Also, that 2016 season was supposed to be a Big Ten West title season and we underperformed.

Yup.
When the team decided to run the clock out at the end of the Michigan game it meant the season couldn’t really meet expectations.

By the way...IMO a 9-4 season with a bowl loss is a better season than 9-4 with a bowl win.
7-6 with a bowl loss is a better season than 7-6 with a bowl win.
11-2 with a bowl loss is a better season than 11-2 with a bowl win.

Regular season wins are vastly more important than postseason wins with the exception of probably the two semifinal games

Yup.
When the team decided to run the clock out at the end of the Michigan game it meant the season couldn’t really meet expectations.

By the way...IMO a 9-4 season with a bowl loss is a better season than 9-4 with a bowl win.
7-6 with a bowl loss is a better season than 7-6 with a bowl win.
11-2 with a bowl loss is a better season than 11-2 with a bowl win.

Regular season wins are vastly more important than postseason wins with the exception of probably the two semifinal games

What if it's 11-2 with a loss in the Rose bowl vs 11-2 with a win in the rose bowl?

What if it's 11-2 with a loss in the Rose bowl vs 11-2 with a win in the rose bowl?

Yeah that kind of is close.
If both seasons make the Rose bowl I’d rather have the bowl win.

But in a vacuum 11-1 is much more likely to make a major bowl than 10-2. 11-1 much more likely to make it to Indianapolis than 10-2

Top Bottom