Do you agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck?

Do you agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck?

• Yes, comments on Fleck's 1st wife, running down sideline. I agree with Kill taking shots at Fleck

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No, he went way over the top commenting on Fleck's wife and Kill is just bitter that Fleck beat UW.

Votes: 140 90.3%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Coach Kill teed off in a way that is very rare on a former coach. I don't recall comments like this from any former coach about a current coach by anyone around the country. Do you agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck?

Nobody has any opinions on this, certainly nothing like you'd find in the other thread.

ol' jer is a ball coach, it's in his blood, it's who he is. if he made a mistake with his comments on pj, it was with the best intention in mind as an opportunity to teach the boys a life lesson or two.

Need more choices. I agree on Fleck being all about himself, I don't agree on taking shots about his first wife, they lost a child, what a d!ck move on Kills part. Of course someone is going to change after a traumatic life event like that.

You should add "How often do you beat your wife?" As an option.

What he said about PJ is correct. The fact that he felt he was in the right to say it and bring personal shots about the divorce was very wrong.

You should add "How often do you beat your wife?" As an option.

What he said about PJ is correct. The fact that he felt he was in the right to say it and bring personal shots about the divorce was very wrong.

I didn’t listen to the interview ... did he say anything more than “I knew his first wife” ?

Fleck got the Axe on 2nd try and got a Bowl game win- both things Jerry could not get done. Fleck's sh*t doesn't stink at all to me.

kp8te.gif

Fleck got the Axe on 2nd try and got a Bowl game win- both things Jerry could not get done.

It would be dishonest and absurd to claim that the Gophers would've lost to Central Michigan in 2015 if Kill had been healthy and the head coach for that game.

Now 2016 is a different story, and would be very interesting to know what would've happened that year if Kill had been healthy and never stepped down.

For example, I absolutely believe he would've kept Limegrover, and likely kept him as the OC.

However, I personally would still give Kill partial credit for the 2016 bowl win over WA St. He didn't coach that game, he didn't coach the team that season, different OC, different DC (technically), etc. But it was still largely his foundation, staff, players. So that's my take, which isn't worth anything I know.

Hell no. I always thought kill was putting up a facade. I have no proof of this, just an opinion.

It would be dishonest and absurd to claim that the Gophers would've lost to Central Michigan in 2015 if Kill had been healthy and the head coach for that game.

Now 2016 is a different story, and would be very interesting to know what would've happened that year if Kill had been healthy and never stepped down.

For example, I absolutely believe he would've kept Limegrover, and likely kept him as the OC.

However, I personally would still give Kill partial credit for the 2016 bowl win over WA St. He didn't coach that game, he didn't coach the team that season, different OC, different DC (technically), etc. But it was still largely his foundation, staff, players. So that's my take, which isn't worth anything I know.

By that logic I’m going to give Claeys credit for the win over wisconsin

I was a HUGE Kill fan. Loved him here. Got the program to a much better place than it was at after Brewster.

Kill retired/quit/whatever due to health reasons.

Claeys got fired.

Fleck took over. I like Fleck. I love his enthusiasm and how the players respond to him.

No reason to ever take shots at someones personal life. He lost a child. There are very few things worse (I would imagine) and to bring that up is ridiculous. Criticize his sayings, his mannerisms, etc. but why get personal? Because Jerry is jealous. He is jealous of the success, the Axe, the youth and health of PJ. He needed to bring up something negative so he went to the only place he could.

Hell no. I always thought kill was putting up a facade. I have no proof of this, just an opinion.

Of course it was an act, at least partially

I'm just a poor country boy who wants to drive my pick up

Reusse and Souhan are digging this....

By that logic I’m going to give Claeys credit for the win over wisconsin

I said partial credit, for one. For two, what you say here is far more of a stretch than what I said about Kill for 2016.

The Wisconsin win was two years removed from Claeys, and there aren't/weren't many players on the program for that win (or the GA Tech bowl game win) who were solely recruited by Claeys.

Because, that's what sells and gets clicks. It's our own fault.

Yeah it also confirms what they’ve speculated about Kill for years while at the same time ripping the new coach.

If somehow a sex scandal tied the two coaches together it would get even juicier. Wait a minute...we already had that

Last edited:

Reusse and Souhan are digging this....

People like these two will rip a coach mercilessly while he is here and downplay any success they have. But then when they leave/get fired and then make critical comments about the U, suddenly they will become best chums.

I think we can all agree with 100% certainty that Fleck won't be the head Football coach at S. Illinois anytime soon.

Need more choices. I agree on Fleck being all about himself, I don't agree on taking shots about his first wife, they lost a child, what a d!ck move on Kills part. Of course someone is going to change after a traumatic life event like that.
Kill didn't take a shot at PJs first wife. He said he knew PJs first wife and PJ changed.
Kill sided with PJs first wife.
I don't doubt that PJ changed. Grief changes people. Some change for the good. Some change for the worse. It's how you process your grief that matters. Generally speaking, running into another woman's arms is not a healthy means of processing grief.
I don't expect Fleck to be a saint. I don't expect anyone to be a saint. I also don't put people on pedastals that are unrealistic. Fleck, like Kill, stepped on toes to get where he is. He's no saint...but I don't expect him to be. He can be a complete d!ck in his private life, but just do your job as a coach. I think Fleck has been doing his job. Let him be a prick. I don't care. I don't have to be around him.

Last edited:

Fleck got the Axe on 2nd try and got a Bowl game win- both things Jerry could not get done. Fleck's sh*t doesn't stink at all to me.
Kill got us the Jug. Kind of evens itself out.

Didn't vote in the poll.

Would prefer this option:

"agree with some of what Kill said, but wish he hadn't said it."

In most situations the prior guy either got fired, quit to take another job, or retired on his own accord. Situations like Kill's are rare in which a guy who was in no danger of being fired and in no trouble has to retire from head coaching prematurely.

If he got fired, of course Fleck is looking to change culture
If he quit to take a better job, well then Kill made that choice
If he retired by choice, Kill made that choice too

But we're left with this notion of unfinished business in this situation. Kill's in the unique spot of being able to sit outside the fray, not with a competitor, and still be able to point to things that were working when he was here. And receive some sympathy because he didn't do any of those 3 things above.

That's all he said.

OK. Then given that, and SON’s longer post in the other thread (page 22) giving more context as well .... I think it’s a bit ridiculous that some here are trying to frame that statement as Kill attacking Fleck for having a divorce.

Sort of like a “you didn’t build that” mis-framing.

OK. Then given that, and SON’s longer post in the other thread (page 22) giving more context as well .... I think it’s a bit ridiculous that some here are trying to frame that statement as Kill attacking Fleck for having a divorce.

You can add Kill's comment about PJ not caring for his players to that misframing list as well.

All Kill said was that Fleck changed and he knew Fleck's first wife.
People can make connections as they wish. I have no doubt that grief changed both Fleck and his first wife. What happened between Fleck and his first wife was never discussed. Kill just said that Fleck changed and Kill didn't like what he saw in that change. Clearly Fleck's current wife liked what she saw and married him. Everyone has their own perspective.

Im shocked this poll is as one sided as it is. I thought gopher fans were still divided on Fleck and his schtick. I guess far more Gopher fans are rowing the boat then I thought.

Top Bottom