Do you agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck?

Do you agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck?

• Yes, comments on Fleck's 1st wife, running down sideline. I agree with Kill taking shots at Fleck

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No, he went way over the top commenting on Fleck's wife and Kill is just bitter that Fleck beat UW.

Votes: 140 90.3%

• Total voters
Im shocked this poll is as one sided as it is. I thought gopher fans were still divided on Fleck and his schtick. I guess far more Gopher fans are rowing the boat then I thought.

The choices are bad. I don't agree with either option.
Kill said nothing about the divorce. Nor did he say he didn't care about the players.
I believe Kill has more issue with G. Shiano and what he did to PJ with the first statement and he was more not liking how PJ presented things to the players that were still here from Kill.

Jerry was stupid for even making the comments that he did. It's a really bad look.
Loved what he did for the program and wish he would have been able to stay on as I feel he would have done great things with the addition of the Athletes Village.

All Kill said was that Fleck changed and he knew Fleck's first wife.
People can make connections as they wish. I have no doubt that grief changed both Fleck and his first wife. What happened between Fleck and his first wife was never discussed. Kill just said that Fleck changed and Kill didn't like what he saw in that change. Clearly Fleck's current wife liked what she saw and married him. Everyone has their own perspective.

Why does Kill need to mention it then? That comment had purpose.

And then Claeys lost it because he had zero awareness of what was going on at the end of the game.

I’ll never forget the end of that game so long as I live.

The long TD pass that was ruled not a TD, then the bungled clock management, and we STILL could’ve won the game, if our 240lbs QB could’ve snuck it in from the 2 yard line, with the crowd screaming “Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!”. ........ Nope.

Every time I think about it, it pisses me off.

Of course it was an act, at least partially

I'm just a poor country boy who wants to drive my pick up

I've never understood this criticism of Kill.

He is in fact from Cheney, Kansas; population around 2000. He has an accent, and it is genuine, not faked. Personally, I never heard Kill describe himself as poor, or talk about pickup trucks. So I'm left wondering what, specifically did he say or do — actually say or do — that was read by some as false or phony?

I know Reusse liked to write his "Ol' Country Jer" stuff, and some people bought into that, and they seemed to get a kick out of it. But it never made any sense to me.

And then Claeys lost it because he had zero awareness of what was going on at the end of the game.
Sad that our receivers knee hit down at the half yardline. Bummer that Limegrover ran down the clock. Certainly a clusterf&ck at the end. Limegrover lost his job over that incident.
Every coach screws up once in awhile, including Fleck. I have yet to see Floyd return, or the Bits of Broken Chair. It seems silly to love or hate a coach based upon a trophy game.
I think Fleck is going in the right direction.

Why does Kill need to mention it then? That comment had purpose.
He was trying to point out that Fleck's personality changed dramatically. It may simply have been the first thing he thought of because that's be when Kill saw the change. It was during Fleck's first marriage. I don't think it goes any deeper than that.

Sad that our receivers knee hit down at the half yardline. Bummer that Limegrover ran down the clock. Certainly a clusterf&ck at the end. Limegrover lost his job over that incident.
Every coach screws up once in awhile, including Fleck. I have yet to see Floyd return, or the Bits of Broken Chair. It seems silly to love or hate a coach based upon a trophy game.
I think Fleck is going in the right direction.

Didn't we beat the piss out of Nebraska in year 1 (zero)? So we have seen the Bits of Broken Chair trophy. However, overall I agree going forward. Getting the Wisconsin monkey off our back was big. But going forward 7 wins and beating Wisconsin isn't exactly what I'm hoping for

The choices are bad. I don't agree with either option.
Kill said nothing about the divorce. Nor did he say he didn't care about the players.
I believe Kill has more issue with G. Shiano and what he did to PJ with the first statement and he was more not liking how PJ presented things to the players that were still here from Kill.

Jerry was stupid for even making the comments that he did. It's a really bad look.
Loved what he did for the program and wish he would have been able to stay on as I feel he would have done great things with the addition of the Athletes Village.

Nor did he say he didn't care about the players???

Kill quote from article - "Do I think he’s about the players? No."

I've never understood this criticism of Kill.

He is in fact from Cheney, Kansas; population around 2000. He has an accent, and it is genuine, not faked. Personally, I never heard Kill describe himself as poor, or talk about pickup trucks. So I'm left wondering what, specifically did he say or do — actually say or do — that was read by some as false or phony?

I know Reusse liked to write his "Ol' Country Jer" stuff, and some people bought into that, and they seemed to get a kick out of it. But it never made any sense to me.

He may have started out as a poor country boy, but he was a multi-millionaire football coach.

He played up the card, it's his right to do so.

I was and am a Jerry Kill fan, he's not without criticism.

I believe both PJ and Kill are genuine, they're different, but genuine. I believe both have a public persona they sell a bit, no shame in that.

The long TD pass that was ruled not a TD, then the bungled clock management, and we STILL could’ve won the game, if our 240lbs QB could’ve snuck it in from the 2 yard line, with the crowd screaming “Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!”. ........ Nope.

we were closer than the 2 yard line

Coach Kill teed off in a way that is very rare on a former coach. I don't recall comments like this from any former coach about a current coach by anyone around the country. Do you agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck?

the poll is worded not do you agree with Kill's comments, but do you agree with Kill taking shots at Fleck. The answer to that is no, I do not. Do I think Kill is bitter because Fleck beat Wisconsin? No. Based on that I can't answer your poll.

I don't disagree with what Kill said. I did lose respect for him because he said it.

He may have started out as a poor country boy, but he was a multi-millionaire football coach.

He played up the card, it's his right to do so.

I was and am a Jerry Kill fan, he's not without criticism.

I believe both PJ and Kill are genuine, they're different, but genuine. I believe both have a public persona they sell a bit, no shame in that.

100% agree most of what you say, especially the second bolded part.

My only quibble with what your post is the "he played up the card" part. I simply never saw it as an act. He is a country guy. He's genuinely from Cheney, KS. Being a successful multi-millionaire coach now has nothing to do with where he's from. Like I said, I never saw him pretend he was still poor. But that's what people seem to think he did.

Kill did many positive things to right the ship after the disaster that Brewster left, but these gratuitous comments criticizing PJ are unnecessary and reflect poorly on Kill's judgment.

I don't usually like to listen to former coaches or players making negative comments on the current regime. But, in this case, what Kill said is absolutely correct. Fleck is just that bad. He has no respect for anything that is not Fleck centered. Fleck is for Fleck only.

I don't usually like to listen to former coaches or players making negative comments on the current regime. But, in this case, what Kill said is absolutely correct. Fleck is just that bad. He has no respect for anything that is not Fleck centered. Fleck is for Fleck only.

I don’t think Fleck cares about anything that doesn’t impact the future.
I agree.

Maybe we should’ve not made any changes to glorify the above averages finishes of the kill era

This is the old story of human nature overtaking common sense. Why Jerry Kill has anything to say with his long separation now from the program is a mystery, other than commentary on football.

This is the old story of human nature overtaking common sense. Why Jerry Kill has anything to say with his long separation now from the program is a mystery, other than commentary on football.

Jerry Kill is a good coach who worked his way up. Once he got here he loved the spotlight and can’t let it go.

Irony

No question Fleck is to a large degree cocky and about Fleck.
Kill is the exact same as Fleck only worse at PR

Not enough choices for the poll. I couldn't vote for the second one because it is ridiculous that Kill was jealous of Fleck beating Wisconsin. Kill beat Michigan at Michigan which is historically way harder than beating Wisconsin. Also, he started the tradition of beating Nebraska back when Nebraska was still consistently a 9 or 10 win team instead of a sub .500 team like they are now.

Yeah me too.

I think it had the purpose ... of whatever you wanted it to have.

Pretty much sums up the two threads on this.

I get your point.....everything depends on perspective.

I always liked Jerry Kill but I lost some respect for him with these recent comments. He comes off as a judgemental bitter ex-coach.

I don’t think Fleck cares about anything that doesn’t impact the future.
I agree.

Maybe we should’ve not made any changes to glorify the above averages finishes of the kill era

You are right. Only winning 8 (or less) games is embarrassing. We should be critical in any season where coaches fail to do better than that.

No, I do not agree with Jerry Kill's comments on Coach Fleck

Ya, so f======g what?

Goldteam is for Goldteam only!

Do you have a problem with this?

Ego. Jerry Kill almost died because of his ego. You think I got a Jerrysota shirt that wasn’t promoting Kill. Come on...

Of course it was an act, at least partially

I'm just a poor country boy who wants to drive my pick up

And people ate it up.

Nearly all power 5 head coaches have massive egos and really high opinions of themselves. Kill used his down home country boy schtick to cover up his ego, Fleck is who he is and doesn't pretend to be something he isn't in order to get people to like him. I honestly think it was very important to Kill that people liked him, I really don't think Fleck cares if people like him as long as the administration believes in him and let's him do what he thinks is right for the program.

What was Kill's motivation? Was it for the present day Gophers? Or was it all about Kill's ego. Gee, Jer, you're a hypocrite.

Top Bottom