Jerry Kill Slams PJ

FWIW, people keep presenting arguments as a black/white or either/or situation.

Real life is a lot messier.

So, yes, PJ Fleck can do all of the humanitarian things, send players to visit kids in the hospital, etc. And at the same time, he can also be a self-promoter AT TIMES. the two things are not incompatible.

Most D1 FB coaches are self-promoters. It goes with the territory. the job description involves walking into some HS kid's house and selling that kid on the coach and his program. You have to be a self-promoter to pull that off. The thing is, different coaches have different styles. some are more subtle, some are more out-front.

Look, I'm not Professor X. I can't read the guy's mind. But my personal feeling is that Fleck is very much aware of his image, how he is portrayed, and tries to present a specific image to the public. that does not make him a bad person, just a more calculating person than some think. In some ways, Fleck is the millennial coach. He's in touch with that generation. Which is why I think some of Kill's beef is generational. Kill's rant was the coaching equivalent of "get off my lawn, you darn kids."

This all boils down to the fact that Kill believes Fleck has it going on at Minnesota.

This bugs Jerry and always will.

Carter Coughlin chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

As far as being a "self-promoter" is concerned, well... to my way of thinking, a head football coach almost has to be a self-promoter.

Same with having a "big ego"... it's usually not a job for deferential introverts. That being said, I'm still hoping Tracy Claeys will get another shot as a head coach somewhere. In the right situation, he might surprise. I'll be rooting for him.

I hope that is god’s honest truth!!!!! That is absolutely how it SHOULD be.

If Fleck was banking any money, in any wa (ie, licensing royalties), that would be awful. Hopefully I don’t have to explicitly say why ...

He's doing it in memory of his son.

He got his shot in two years ago when he made similar comments didn't he? I attended one of his speeches and all he did was talk about how great he was. His book is very similar. The guy has a massive ego and it's no wonder he got his feelings hurt when someone dared to challenge his "culture".

Which coach are you talking about?

Carter Coughlin chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I face a hard choice. Believe a player who spend 1,000 or so hours a year with PJ or a keyboard warrior who tells me PJ is about PJ??? Talk about dilemma!

The TDG take a couple pages back hits the nail on the head.

I predict Jerry will issue a statement clarifying his comments, apologizing for any misunderstanding, and admit it wasn’t an appropriate forum.

I predict Jerry will issue a statement clarifying his comments, apologizing for any misunderstanding, and admit it wasn’t an appropriate forum.

I started thinking he just had misspoke, but when you hear the whole audio I don’t think so. He was begging for the question. Really poor choice on his part - to that I think we all agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started thinking he just had misspoke, but when you hear the whole audio I don’t think so. He was begging for the question. Really poor choice on his part - to that I think we all agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well dang then you go sounding reasonable. I think you really just try too hard.

Ultimately this is a tempest in a teapot, which everyone will realize in a couple days and the news cycle moves on to the next drama du jour. PJ needs to ignore it, do his thing and win. Maybe the school can lobby BTN or ESPN for a Maroon and Gold days show this summer - I think it would be really beneficial.

Well dang then you go sounding reasonable. I think you really just try too hard.
Spoofin is an interesting cat. I rarely agree with him but his dedication to playing devil's advocate makes me appreciate what he brings here. He does not always believe what he posts.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

This thread is so, so much wose than the Janes thread. 26 pages of yawn. No drugs, no allegations, no craziness. Gopherhole back to tedium.

Janes thread is Elite, Epic, and an instant Classic!

There goes my respect for Jerry Kill... so let's face it, Kill was all for himself too and not the players, as any great man wouldn't have put his players in the situation he did with his seizures. I'm sure it took the administration to push him to resigning, as that's probably why he is a bit bitter at the Gophers. Also, now thinking back to his years here, sure he did ok, but have you wondered how good he was without Claeys? I'm starting to think it was all Claeys.

KARE 11: Jerry Kill vs. P.J. Fleck

There's a bit of drama between the current Gopher football coach, and a former Gopher football coach.

While the ish between Jerry Kill and P.J. Fleck may have been known to some for years, it is now way out in the open, after Kill let his thoughts on Fleck be known Tuesday night... on a radio show.

This was too big to not bring in sports relationship expert Paul Lambert, better known as Meatsauce on the KFAN PowerTrip morning show.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...fleck/89-92abeb95-ab51-441b-905b-0e2c2543d8e7

Go Gophers!!

Up until yesterday Kill has been my favorite Gopher coach (my lifetime). I loved most things about him (exceptions being the players thrown under the bus and the offense at times). Those who claim PJ has done that more often or been more harsh have short memories. In fact I remember trying to stand up for Kill when he would do that and posters like MNVCGUY or others were ripping him. I soon learned that as much as I wanted to see the bright side that was one of Kill's few flaws in my eyes.

Would have much rather never heard him make these dumb comments now. I have looked past the other subtle shots at the U since he left, but no more. Don't go away mad, just go away Jerry.

Hopefully PJ keeps his mouth shut and continues to focus on what makes the Gophers better.

Top Bottom