Jerry Kill Slams PJ

It doesn’t prove it. I 100% believe he cares for every player in the program.

This is a tangent that is loosely connected to the idea that he has a big ego. Is just unfortunate to me that we’re desperate enough to win, beat Wisconsin, beat Iowa, etc. that we allow a coach to demand that his own trademarked brand be incorporate into the uniform. Thereby allowing himself to be paid licensing royalties, because of his own demands. Not because the university or team demanded it.

That was my whole point all along. Kill and the person I was responded to made it seem like Fleck only cares about himself. That's ridiculous. Fleck can care about himself and his ego and care about the players as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Yes, Fleck is a prick. So what? Does anyone think Saban isn’t a prick? I’m not the first person to say this here, but everyone of these coaches is a prick. They have to be to maintain control of 100+ young men, from all walks of life, whose brains haven’t yet fully developed. I’m sure Kill is a prick too. Good for him.

Yes, PJ thinks highly of himself (they all do!), but I seriously doubt Fleck doesn’t care about his players. Of everything Kill said in that interview, that bothers me the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Fleck is a prick. So what? Does anyone think Saban isn’t a prick? I’m not the first person to say this here, but everyone of these coaches is a prick. They have to be to maintain control of 100+ young men, from all walks of life, whose brains haven’t yet fully developed. I’m sure Kill is a prick too. Good for him.

Yes, PJ thinks highly of himself (they all do!), but I seriously doubt Fleck doesn’t care about his players. Of everything Kill said in that interview, that bothers me the most.

In some weird way I feel like this whole thread is one of the healthier conversations on Gopherhole in a while.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Kill was a nice guy who had his principals. When he was hired here, he was what 4th choice? People were saying that he was boring, not charismatic enough to bring in recruits etc. Fleck is the opposite in that he isn't boring. He makes things fun for the team with his scholarship announcements. Also a trip to a concert but with a lesson involved. Fleck is always teaching, people listen to him.

I'm one in the camp where I don't enjoy seeing him run down the sidelines when not really necessary. Perhaps an underlying message that the players see that I don't see. However if you don't enjoy seeing him run down the sidelines, look the other way, talk to your neighbor, drink your bill or whatever. Don't let something like this get the best of you. It really isn't that huge of a deal.

I'm so tired of drama surrounding this program. In this case it's caused entirely by 1 person.

S. T. F. U. Jerry!

That was my whole point all along. Kill and the person I was responded to made it seem like Fleck only cares about himself. That's ridiculous. Fleck can care about himself and his ego and care about the players as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It's true, and would argue, like many posters on this thread, that in order to survive in the high stakes, cut throat world of P5 football head coaching, you have to have an ego to some degree.

Again, I will lay my specific agenda out bare for anyone to see ... not hiding it at all. It's purely his forcing of his own trademarked brand into the uniforms. He could've just left it as the "basis" for his "culture", something he wants his players to live by, etc. etc. It never needed to be on the uniforms.

i've compared flack to an over-exuberant youth pastor. not one of those upper-midwest lutheran ones, but one of the southern evangelical caffeinated ones. that doesn't go over well with fans who take themselves or the maroon and gold too seriously, especially minnesotans.

kill was an average coach, above average at best. but i don't have any issues with him saying what he thinks about fleck (but knocking him for running up and down the sideline is a weird flex).

i've never lost a child or been divorced, but if it ever happened to me and someone talked **** about it, i would track that person down and have a little face to face with that ****er.

They have to be competitive both on the recruiting trail and on the field, against other pricks, as well. Yes I agree, you have to be a prick to some degree.

Even Pat Fitzgerald.

can't believe this sits on the front page of the ESPN website, man o man, we only ever have dramatic news to make headlines

i've compared flack to an over-exuberant youth pastor. not one of those upper-midwest lutheran ones, but one of the southern evangelical caffeinated ones.

Watch the documentary film "Jesus Camp". It's 13 years old now, but it was very interesting.

can't believe this sits on the front page of the ESPN website, man o man, we only ever have dramatic news to make headlines

Hopefully our prick of a coach will succeed in getting us not only B1G championships but natty's too and then we'll be on ESPN for happier things.

There are only about 10 or so programs that matter to the powers that be, and are "approved" to win it all.

The rest are just fodder for their resumes, and to make splashy tabloid headlines that get bursts of clicks and then fade away quickly, leaving the program to pick up the pieces.

Give examples then. When has he taken a shot at the previous staff?

They are there. A number of examples. Arguing it with someone who doesn’t want to see them is pointless. Your stance is Kill is making it all up? He’s lying about what was said at the local HS that caused the face-to-face spat? Whatever makes you happy.

None of it justifies this move by Kill. Bush league.

x2

I think it's still sour grapes for how it all went down.

1. Don't blame this on Fleck. He did nothing to cause this dismissal. He took advantage of it.
2. Jerry Kill looks bad for saying this - he should be above it.
3. PJ Fleck needs to be above this. He should not get involved with any negativity here. He should either ignore it
or just politely thank Jerry Kill for his contributions here.
4. And this is for EVERYONE! Always conduct yourself with class. Be above the negativity.
5. You do realize this plays directly into what Fleck has been preaching. When he says he needed to change the culture
this is exactly what he is talking about.

I liked Jerry Kill as well as Tracy Claeyes and I do think they were good coaches - certainly a lot better than a Tim Brewster.
I thank them for their contributions here but they need to move on. Nobody wants to hear any of their sour grapes.

Nobody wants to hear any of their sour grapes.

Certainly got the ratings on the radio show. Certainly is getting attention on Gopherhole.

Until humans actually gain the ability to ignore stuff ... so in other words, never ... people will keep putting stuff out there.

I don't think the 2nd wife is a fair issue to be bringing up unless you have lost a kid the way they did and were somehow able to stay with your wife. I hope to never find out what it's like to lose a child. I can only imagine how difficult that would be.

I didn't realise until reading this thread that Coach Fleck had lost a child... My wife and I lost our amazing 21 year old daughter just over four months ago and I can promise that everyday is hard in every possible way. It is hard to see a positive future or feel your life has purpose, hard to find any joy in the world and hard to be responsive to the emotions of those around us as we all deal with tragedy in different ways at different times (even though the sense of loss doesn't seem to diminish).

I'm not sure if all GopherHolers are aware of this but I just searched this article explaining where the row the boat mantra comes from apologies if it is just me that didn't know).

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...oach-p-j-fleck-tells-emotional-181358296.html

My experience is that it is inevitable that a person changes after losing a child. The fact that Coach Fleck has devoted himself to a mantra/culture that accentuates community, serving, giving and compassion I find inspiring. I don't find it surprising that it requires incredible self-belief, self-affirmation and unwavering devotion to sustain this either as it is so easy to retreat into nothingness, given the circumstances, if doubt creeps in.

I like and respect Coach Kill (but feel these comments show lack of understanding); I like Coach Claeys (and felt sorry that he became a scapegoat IMHO at the time of his departure) and I believe 100% that Coach Fleck is genuinely a great man and a great role model/football coach.

As a side note, there has only been two occasions since what happened that I have felt a surge of positive emotions - once when we captured the axe and again when we won the bowl game.

They are there. A number of examples. Arguing it with someone who doesn’t want to see them is pointless. Your stance is Kill is making it all up? He’s lying about what was said at the local HS that caused the face-to-face spat? Whatever makes you happy.

None of it justifies this move by Kill. Bush league.

What was said at the local High School? I find nothing on a Google search other than they both recruited Boye Mafe. :confused:

I didn't realise until reading this thread that Coach Fleck had lost a child... My wife and I lost our amazing 21 year old daughter just over four months ago and I can promise that everyday is hard in every possible way. It is hard to see a positive future or feel your life has purpose, hard to find any joy in the world and hard to be responsive to the emotions of those around us as we all deal with tragedy in different ways at different times (even though the sense of loss doesn't seem to diminish).

I'm not sure if all GopherHolers are aware of this but I just searched this article explaining where the row the boat mantra comes from apologies if it is just me that didn't know).

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...oach-p-j-fleck-tells-emotional-181358296.html

My experience is that it is inevitable that a person changes after losing a child. The fact that Coach Fleck has devoted himself to a mantra/culture that accentuates community, serving, giving and compassion I find inspiring. I don't find it surprising that it requires incredible self-belief, self-affirmation and unwavering devotion to sustain this either as it is so easy to retreat into nothingness, given the circumstances, if doubt creeps in.

I like and respect Coach Kill (but feel these comments show lack of understanding); I like Coach Claeys (and felt sorry that he became a scapegoat IMHO at the time of his departure) and I believe 100% that Coach Fleck is genuinely a great man and a great role model/football coach.

As a side note, there has only been two occasions since what happened that I have felt a surge of positive emotions - once when we captured the axe and again when we won the bowl game.

Sorry for your loss. We had a miscarriage early in a pregnancy and that was hard enough. I can't even begin to fathom how hard it was for you.

All publicity is good publicity? No one knows why they heard "Minnesota" on ESPN, but ESPN covers Minnesota. Must be a good school...?

For some reason this has honestly just made me more excited for next season. Fleck will take the high road here, but this is going to be a huge motivator for him, and even moreso his players. You'd have to be blind to think the team doesn't love playing for him, and they're going to be out to prove Kill wrong this fall.

Wow, Johnob2, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. May her memory be a blessing to you, your wife and your daughter's friends and family.

Go Gophers!!

For some reason this has honestly just made me more excited for next season. Fleck will take the high road here, but this is going to be a huge motivator for him, and even moreso his players. You'd have to be blind to think the team doesn't love playing for him, and they're going to be out to prove Kill wrong this fall.

Fleck will forget about this long before the season and if any of the playershave even heard about this they have probably forgotten about it by now. The only people who care are Kill (evidently it's still festering what a joke), us posters, and the media who can use this to feed our frenzy.

I can see both sides of this.

I think JK is mostly complaining about someone saying that the program needed a complete culture overhaul. At a minimum, partial evidence is on his side if you look at on-field statistics during his tenure and at APR's. He's also hacked off because Fleck is an ungrateful protege.

That said, TC and JK never responded to the allegation for the horror it was. Those waters were later muddied by that fact that the U mismanaged the situation, treating players unfairly (maybe unlawfully?) and also by the fact that Coyle wanted an excuse to fire TC (something I think it not in dispute among most on this site).

So,

JK right to be pissed about being thrown under the bus.
PJ right that there were some problems in the culture.
TC right that Coyle was just looking for pretense to move on.

It's water under the bridge at this point. PJ appears to have the team on the right track. I have no issue with JK being truthful about it. He should be ready to accept the blowback however if PJ brought up the legit problems in the culture (he probably won't).

I so sorry about your daughter, as I said I cannot even begin to imagine and hope I never have to. You might want to check out tOTB as another poster recently lost their son.

Yahoo: Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill has 'lost a lot of respect' for current coach P.J. Fleck

Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill thinks P.J. Fleck’s personality has changed. And not in a good way.

Fleck, the current Gophers coach, was an assistant for Kill at Northern Illinois from 2007-09. Kill, now the athletic director at Southern Illinois, told SiriusXM College Sports Radio that he feels Fleck is “about himself” and has “lost a lot of respect” for his former assistant.

“Once he became a head coach — I helped him get the job at Western Michigan — and I just think sometimes ego gets carried away,” Kill said. “And when he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys and telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture and there was a bad culture and bad people, he made it sound like we didn’t know what we were doing. And I took it personal.”

Fleck was hired at Minnesota ahead of the 2017 season. He replaced Tracy Claeys as Minnesota’s coach. Claeys was Minnesota’s defensive coordinator under Kill and took over as the team’s head coach in 2015 when Kill had to step down because of his issues with seizures.

Minnesota won nine games in 2016 but 10 players were suspended in relation to a sexual assault investigation. The handling of the accusation and investigation led to a practice boycott by Minnesota players ahead of the Holiday Bowl.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-min...espect-current-coach-p-j-fleck-155910756.html

Go Gophers!!

Sporting News: Predecessor Jerry Kill on Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck: 'He’s about himself'

Jerry Kill doesn't think very highly of Minnesota’s current football coach.

During a Tuesday interview with SiriusXM College's "Big Ten Today," the former Gophers coach slammed current coach P.J. Fleck and criticized the handling of his transition after taking over the program from Kill's longtime assistant Tracy Claeys.

"Sometimes ego gets carried away," Kill told program hosts Matt Schick and A.J. Hawk. "When he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys, telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture and that it was a bad culture and bad people. He made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing.

"I took it personal. You just don't treat people who have helped your career, and you don't even talk to 'em once you get the job."

Kill, who was named permanent athletic director at Southern Illinois after serving as an assistant to the chancellor and AD, resigned as Minnesota's coach in October 2015 for health reasons. Claeys took over but was fired in January 2017 despite a 9-4 season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...-hes-about-himself/1mbjgz1zuq5l71pko0jszdmc0m

Go Gophers!!

Off Tackle Empire: Shut up and go away, Jerry.

Former Gophers head coach and expert AW SHUCKster Jerry Kill did it again yesterday. The new SIU athletic director took to Sirius XM College Sports radio yesterday and decided to be the humble, charming, wonderful person we all know he is.

Wait, that’s not what he did at all.

It typically takes something pretty impressive to pull me away from all the fun and games that come with being an accountant in January and February, but ol’ Country Jer managed to pull it off by lobbing accusations and whining about his former assistant coach from NIU. He claimed that Fleck has changed a lot and that he’s got an ego problem, he comes out and attacks the man for having a marriage fail, he whines about how Fleck treated his guys and says that a culture change was needed and that the culture was bad with bad people, and that he aired it out with Fleck. and he whimpers about how he thinks Fleck is all about himself and not about the players.

First and foremost, shut up and go away. While I feel terrible that you had to step away from the Minnesota job, you’ve been nothing but a goddamn weasel ever since. You tried to force your way into the vacant AD job at Minnesota after you left, you went to Kansas State to try to find a way to become Bill Snyder’s replacement by being an intermediary between the football team and the AD, you tried coaching again at Rutgers even though you know full well it wasn’t a good idea because of your health. And why is that? Certainly none of these are driven by ego. You’re flawless. An angel in a career field littered with others that are similarly selfless

https://www.offtackleempire.com/201...pj-fleck-comments-controversy-radio-interview

Go Gophers!!

I will say I am surprised this is getting national media traction. Until and unless Minnesota gets to the level of winning the division, I don't think most people around the country will care about any gossipy type stuff of this, so long as it falls below the threshold of a major crime or sexual scandal.

Wow, Johnob2, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. May her memory be a blessing to you, your wife and your daughter's friends and family.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for kind words Bleed.

Sorry, didn't mean to make the point about me (ironic that it is what Coach Fleck is being accused of) - just an explanation why I believe Coach Fleck is genuine in what he does. If our experiences evoked similar emotions I can see that the who we are? What we earn? How our successes are judged? all pale into insignificance compared to the desire to make a difference to others.

USA Today: Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill blasts current head coach P.J. Fleck over antics

Not everyone is a fan of rowing the boat.

In an interview with SiriusXM, former Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill blasted current head coach P.J. Fleck over the latter's antics in executing his program takeover and treatment of Kill's "guys."

"I just think sometimes ego gets carried away and when he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys, and telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture, it was a bad culture and bad people. He made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing and I took it personal," Kill said.

Fleck was hired by Minnesota in 2017 to replace Tracy Claeys, a longtime Kill assistant who took over the Golden Gophers in 2015 after Kill stepped down due to health reasons. Despite some modest success, Claeys was fired in 2017 a few weeks after the team threatened to boycott the Holiday Bowl after the suspension of 10 players in connection to allegations of sexual assault. Claeys had publicly voiced support for his players during their boycott.

At the time Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle said of Claeys' firing: "I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...pj-fleck-minnesota-golden-gophers/2924275002/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom